Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2006, 07:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, Shelby aluminum 496 ci FE
Not Ranked     
Default Toggle switches on ERA problem

My ERA has two dash mounted toggle switches, one is the headlight switch and the other is the cooling fan over ride switch. They both occasionally lose contact or don't work unless you wiggle them around. They visually appear to be Lucas switches, at least they look like the picture in the Finish-Line website of Lucas switches. Anyone else experiencing this problem? I was just going to order new ones but if this is a common problem I may want to try another type of toggle switch. Thanks for any input.
ERA #115 - sold
ERA #002 - sold
67 Fairlane
'68 mustang
'95 SVT Cobra
Old 04-11-2006, 08:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. FIA #2088 1964 289 w/Webers
Not Ranked     

Haven't had any problems yet.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 454 S.O.
Not Ranked     

None with mine either, number 269.

“If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower.”

Mark Donahue
Old 04-11-2006, 09:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Genesis 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

Doug,

When the switches "lose contact", do both lose power at the same time?

Chris
Old 04-12-2006, 12:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA
Not Ranked     

doug, i had a similar problem. does the front of those toggle switches heat up at all? where the metal washer screw is on the front. i found out that the rear of the switch had the bottom wire connector touching the metal lip on the inside of the dash.. i just bent them up a bit...
Old 04-12-2006, 04:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Finishline's S2 and S3 are the correct replacements. Make sure you save your retaining nuts in case the new ones are different.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, Shelby aluminum 496 ci FE
Not Ranked     

I haven't noticed any heat from them but I can check to be sure they aren't grounding out. The headlight switch didn't work at all when I first got the car but after working the switch back and forth several times it started working and hasn't given me any more trouble that I'm aware of but I haven't used the headlights much. The fan switch sometimes works first thing and other times has to be played with a bit first. I'll probably just go ahead and order replacements since it doesn't seem to be normally a problem with them. Thanks everyone.
ERA #115 - sold
ERA #002 - sold
67 Fairlane
'68 mustang
'95 SVT Cobra
Old 04-12-2006, 06:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M Cobra Ford FE 427 w/ Webers 48 IDA
Not Ranked     

Hi D Ford,

I am in the process of building my harness and noticed the same situation with the headlight switch. In research I have heard that the common problem is the switch falling apart. If I wiggle my switch it seems to work. I was planning on trying to open the switch to see if there is another way of fixing them. I believe that it has to do with the poor crimp from metal to plastic.

All the other switches do not have the look and feel to the lucas switch.

I hope this helps
Old 04-12-2006, 07:05 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     

My prince of darkness switches always feel like that right before they fail. I have added relays so they don't carry and real current. No failures since. I don't know how the ERA is wired, if the switches activate relays, fine, if not, adding them might help the new ones. Either way, time to order some replacements!

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 04-12-2006, 07:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Doug,

I had the same problem with my heater toggle switch. It wouldn't work unless I wiggled the back of it. I replaced it a while back and it's been fine ever since.

Chris
Old 04-12-2006, 07:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #375 427 S/C - 428FE - Toploader - 1968 AMX 390 Go Pack 4 Speed - My Daily Driver is a 2004 Crossfire
Send a message via AIM to REDSC400
Not Ranked     

You may want to check your ground. On the ERA the ground for the headlight and parking lights and fans is up front on the "X" member. I had an intermittent grounding problem in the past. With Bob's guidance, I narrowed it down to the ground at the X member. My frame was powder coated. The Ground point at the front X member needed to have some of the powder coat chipped away with an Xacto blade and then I cleaned the ground point where the screw applied pressure to the wire bundle connection. I also applied some dielectric grease to the hole as well as the wire connection. Since then all is well. My headlights are now very bright as a result.

So check your ground point would be my advice.

A car can massage organs which no masseur can reach. It is the one remedy for the disorders of the great sympathetic nervous system. Jean Cocteau 1889-1963, French Author, Filmmaker