Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2006, 09:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 719, 302 5speed
Not Ranked     
Default Still waiting on the dream.

In 2000 I was happy and content in my lack of knowlage of Cobras, I had my Corvette and played with the local SCCA twice a month. Life was grand! Then one day I stopped by a yard sale (my wife dragged me) and while bored stiff and wanting to get out of there I noticed a book about Shelby Cobras. I ended up buying it and upon arriving home buried myself in it reading it cover to cover. That led me to checking out Cobras on the web and eventually to me wanting my own. Knowing nothing about kits I started checking things out and right away discovered the huge differences. Since I knew this would be a large investment (for me anyway) and that this car would spend alot of time on the track I wanted to go with a small block, (cheaper and easy to get parts for) an independent rear and I wanted Quality. In 2001 I bought a used 17000 mi 302 and a hammered T5 trans. (that cost more to rebuild than had I bought new) Then life got in the way and my project was sidelined. Flash forward to 2005; I'm complaining to my wife about never going ahead with the Cobra to which she say's "why dont you order it one year out? We'll have the money for it by then anyway." Now is that a great wife or what? Anyway the obvious choice was ERA and car 719 should be nearing completion. The anticipation is becoming quite difficult to deal with. Sorry about the length of the post but the question is this. How much longer on car 719 Bob? Sometimes I wish that I had never bought that book.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

One day I was HAVING a yard sale and moved the Excalibur to the street beside the house.

Some guy checking out the dishes and misc noticed it and asked about, offered to BUY it, the price was right, so I sold it too!

Biggest yard sale dollar amount, EVER I think.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The 'rest of the story'...

A couple of months later I was SO depressed over having sold my Cobra I contacted the new owner and bought it back! Cost me $3000 MORE than he paid me.

But theres more...
A year or so after that I sold it AGAIN and STILL made a nice little profit!
Old 06-08-2006, 04:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 289 ERA #2115 under build in my bedroom
Not Ranked     

hi mtr,
I'm in the same boat with you.....waiting on an FIA. I've been looking at alot of pic's and doing some homework on the FIA. It's been six months for me now. I didn't know much about the car when I walked in and put my 5K down. At the time...I just knew that this would be the car that I would grow into, and I've learned alot about what I'm getting into and how to go about this project. So....I feel this time has saved me from charging off and doing something that I would regreted later. This Web Site have been a owesome resource and it's become my home page. So...... ERA seems to be doing well
......I've visited them a couple of times now and they are wall-to-wall with turnkeys and kits. I think their GT 40 kit is in an upswing and they were working on their Carlisle Show car most of this spring. They must have a high backlog.....so....I have a 'good things happen to those who wait" attitude. If you don't have a Jag rear end yet....you could try to fine one. I rushed out and got a 87 XJ6 from the bone yard but found that it was not a posi. So now I need to adjust for that now(more $). Good to here I'm not the only one being kept in suspense....keep reading and searching the net....once in a while buy a part that will be needed. This seems to work for me.........but I'm reserving the right to get back to you. mike
Old 06-08-2006, 11:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

MTR:

My best advice is to pick up the telephone (remember those ancient devices) and call Peter directly. Bob does not deal directly with production. ...and Peter does not "do" e-mail".

Jim
Old 06-08-2006, 12:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

Definately give Peter that call. He is busy & sometimes dificult to get ahold of but keep calling & once you get him on the line he's yours for as long as you need... & stay away from those garage sales
Old 06-08-2006, 12:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 FIA
Not Ranked     

Good things come.....
Old 06-08-2006, 12:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: era#671 Keith Craft Motor
Not Ranked     

MTR,
I know this might be hard to believe but 75% of the fun with the Cobra process for me was the waiting/picking the Option's/talking to Peter.....picking a color and so on,now that its in the garage i seem to forget its there at times,but than again with the weather in New England it sits quite often these days(should of got the soft top option)
Old 06-08-2006, 12:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Getting everything to order & taste was a lot of fun. Can't say I forget mine is in the garage though... I am often counting the days till I can go work on it agian.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:51 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Cobra HM 1007, 390FE
Not Ranked     

ERA's are the BEST, and the BEST is worth waiting for! Relax and enjoy the ride.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:22 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2100 Rio Red Wimbledon White Stripes 302 stroked to 331 Webers Richmond Road Race 5 speed
Not Ranked     

The way I passed the time was keeping busy collecting all the additional pieces needed to copplete the kit. Engine parts, clutch etc. It will be here before you know it. It will be like uncorking a fine bottle of wine aged to perfection.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

All my parts are ordered and are at ERA now. I chose to have ERA do the assembly when a friend pointed out that with my schedule it would never get finished. I realised he was right and knew I wanted to drive the car soon as possible so I just loaded up the stuff I had and sent it to them. The wait has been fun But I am really looking forward to driving the car. Last week I went for my first ride ever in a Cobra. I was given the job of driving instructor at a local Auto X, (which just amounts to showing the new folks around the track) A guy and his wife showed up with a FFR. She was having a little trouble finding her way around so I jumped at the chance to ride in that car..er..that is... show her the way around the track. Big mistake, It just made me want my car more! As to calling Peter, I have tried very hard to make sure and not be a pest. I'll just keep patiently waiting. Does it really take 30 min to assemble the top?
Old 06-08-2006, 06:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Congrats on your choice, cousin. I'm the owner of #718 and was in the shop today to pick up some rear end parts...I live about twenty minutes from ERA and am putting my car together myself...maybe 3 or 4 months from completion. What color is your car? Maybe I saw it today (actually, I saw all the cars there). I'm also a Corvette guy (can't you tell from my screen name?) and have wanted a Cobra since I was 13 years old walking past the local Ford dealership on my way to and from jr. high school.
If you describe your car, the next time I go over there, I'll try to take some pics...maybe next week. They let me come and go as I please and consider me 'family', and I've taken many pics in the shop for my own reference. If I do, I'll post them on my gallery and you can right-click and take them home.
One question...why a small block in a 427 SC? Just wondering...their FIA Cobra is built for racing...they're getting pretty popular lately. Either way, good luck on your new Cobra.
Later
Rich
Old 06-08-2006, 06:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Personal preference, I just liked the look of the 427 although I have to admit, If I were to do it again I'd go wth the FIA. If you could sneak me some photos I would be ever so grateful. The colors are dark gray with black stripes. I think someday I'll switch to an FE motor. Tell me about 718.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ZOERA-SC7XX I went and checked out your gallery, NICE car. Any guess what kind of horsepower you'll have?
Old 06-08-2006, 06:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ordered it a year ago last March...they delivered it in July, and I was just thrilled to get it, but also just about out of cash and had to put some more money together for paint (Tony' Auto in MA.), engine (428 short block built by Andrew Fraulo in New Haven, CT. and 4 spd toploader (rebuilt by Dave Reed in Wallingford, CT). In the meantime, I've been working on stripping the Jag rear, and collecting misc. parts and just getting the shop equipped properly, as well as trying to get the old Corvette back together. See my gallery for some pics...I also have a complete photo journal on the whole build to date on Fotki.com...screen name 'katmandu'.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtr
ZOERA-SC7XX I went and checked out your gallery, NICE car. Any guess what kind of horsepower you'll have?
I built the 428 with driving in mind...10.0:1 comp. Keith Black pistons, CJ valves in 69 cc heads (iron), Comp Cams 270H Magnum cam (kinda mild), Edelbrock RPM Performer, 750 vacuum secondary carb, MSD billet dist...I would estimate about 425 HP when tuned properly, in a car that weighs 2600 lbs. and with a 3:31 posi rear...it shoud go fast enough to get me in trouble, but I've got a SOLO II radar detector in the BMW that's portable, so that should help. I just keep plugging away, and it's getting closer. Thanks.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

MTR, what kind of small block do you have? Some of them make BIG HP.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I bought a used 5.0 (302) out of a 17000mi, Rolled 91 Mustang. I didn't trust the mileage figure given so I stripped the motor down to the bare block and started out fresh. New cam, rod and main bearings, had the bores checked (they were perfect) checked the pistons, rods and crank and were all as new, so I re-used those. Put in a new roller cam, had the heads done (port matched and polished) ditched the fuel injection and called it good. HP should be 250-275ish. Not great, but should still be fun and this car will do alot of Auto X and on the small parking lots we use in our area you cant really put down all that much power anyway. Not that I wouldn't like to have it. I am in Palmer Alaska (40 mi N of Anchorage) so FE engines are not quite so plentiful as maybe they are down there. Anyway, I have room for Improvement! Darin
Old 06-08-2006, 07:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Alaska was awsome last summer!!! Was there in mid july, had a great time! That HP range will serve you well. When you outgrow it, if you do...You can throw on a set of Webers for another nice boost of power. You have an awsome state for a cobra!... in the Summer