Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2006, 02:33 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA # 665, 390 (to start with) Toploader
Not Ranked     
Default Power Steering?

My instructor at the opentrack event was really surprised I don't have power steering, especially with my all iron FE sitting out there. Have you guys done power steering on anyones car yet, if so what would I need to buy?

I really didn't mind it on relatively short track sessions but I can see if you were running for a couple of days you might appreciate the assist.

Thanks, Chuck
Old 08-07-2006, 04:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

We put PS on one car but I never got to drive it. The one thing I do know about it is that it was a PITA to do, with a completely custom rack, hoses, mounts and pulleys.
If you like to throw money at someone, look at the electric power system from Flaming River. About $4000.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:18 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Wow, I've never heard of one of those before.

I'd imagine you could use a joy stick instead of a wheel with something like that.

Anyway, too rich for my blood. Thanks for your quick reply.

So is our manual rack from a subaru?

Thanks, Chuck
Old 08-07-2006, 05:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

If it's a one-piece aluminum casting, it's Subaru. If it has a steel tube between aluminum ends, it's a custom one that we modify from a Flaming River unit.

If you have a Subaru gear and you're willing to put up with a 10% slower steering ratio, the ERA rack seems to have much lower effort than the Subaru unit.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:16 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Looks like I have one of yours. Thanks for the info.

Chuck
Old 09-02-2006, 04:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default P/S rack and system

Hi Chuck, There are at least 2 car from ERA with PS systems in them. 1st was the red car than sat in the back shop for over a year. Then there was the 428 car that you and Doug did with an Sweet rack. The lines, cooler, and pump the owner did. A 5" pulley on a GM pump. System works great. Drive with one hand, shift with the other. I donot have pictures Chuck, but the car will be at the Run&Gun in Oct at Gateway. Next year it is going on the street. Rick Lake
Old 09-02-2006, 06:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lucus shell, Arrow chassis, efi 5L HO, 5 spd supra, Diff 3.73:1, Rear tyres 275x60-15
Not Ranked     

I fabricated power steering on my custom build... and I recon that it is three times better to drive than a cobra without PS. It was well worth the effort, I made custom brackets and had a new aluminium crank pully turned up to suit the application.

Simmo
Old 09-02-2006, 08:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1852, 392 Roush
Not Ranked     

Look at the web site for Second Strike. The latest article is about a power steering unit that "reportedly" is not hard to install.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:39 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICK LAKE
Hi Chuck, There are at least 2 car from ERA with PS systems in them. 1st was the red car than sat in the back shop for over a year. Then there was the 428 car that you and Doug did with an Sweet rack. The lines, cooler, and pump the owner did. A 5" pulley on a GM pump. System works great. Drive with one hand, shift with the other. I donot have pictures Chuck, but the car will be at the Run&Gun in Oct at Gateway. Next year it is going on the street. Rick Lake
Rick, I'd be very interested in seeing pictures of the setup. If you happen to meet the owner please get his contact info for me. I think it would be a nice upgrade for future ontrack events, not a "must have" but certainly a "nice to have".

Thanks, Chuck
Old 09-04-2006, 05:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default P/S rack and system

Chuck The 428 car is mine. ERA put the system in 2000. Sweet or appleton rack. Works great. Made a bracket (curde) The pump is on the R/S of the motor bottom and uses the 2 lower timing cover bolt holes. My timing cover is one they usefor a front motor mount setup with the 2 lower holes on each side flush with the front of the timing seal. Have a P/S cooler under the rad support and a 1 quart tank from Howe racing ent. The bump steering is gone. running the lines was the only pain. Mounting the tank is on the fire wall. The alignment really makes the car handle alot better with 1.0+ camber,4.0+ caster, 1/16 toe. Ran 3 seconds faster in the local autoX than the before rack was done. New problem is learning not TOO MAN HANDLE CAR!!!! Smooth is faster Rick Lake
Old 09-04-2006, 05:10 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default I don't doubt it would make me faster

I don't doubt power steering would make me faster. Thanks for the info.

Chuck