Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2006, 12:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     
Default What headers fit the 289 FIA with a 289?

Doing some parts shopping. What headers fit the ERA 289FIA with a 289/302?

I'm planning on AFR 185's (might use 165's...). In Summit Racing I found some equal length Hooker headers, but am uncertain what to buy to fit my 289 and ERA 289 FIA.

Anybody running Hooker or Hedman headers in their 289FIA? What'd you buy?

Doug

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 11-07-2006, 02:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

As far as I know, no commercial headers fit our car. Unlike most "real" cars, the headers must go forward first, then head out and down.

Ya gotta buy 'em from us or have them custom made.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey, you know I don't have a problem buying my parts from ERA. If I did, I wouldn't have an ERA in my garage, now would I? Just check'n my options.

I wouldn't buy anything I was going to have to fight to get installed. The rest of my ERA has come together quite nicely.

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 11-08-2006, 09:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2039
Not Ranked     
Default Headers for an ERA FIA

I don't know if the ERA headers are suppose to be a direct fit for both the 289 and 351 but I had to shorten the collectors for the smaller motor (302 / 289) so the pipes would not hang down too low.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bob? I'm not going to have to pay $500 for headers I'm going to have to modify, am I?

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 11-08-2006, 05:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS 427, Keith Craft 501,Toploader
Not Ranked     

Nobody makes headers for Cobras, they can only be had from whoever made your car, or they are custom made on the car by a fab shop.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2119
Not Ranked     
Default Headers FIA

I too am looking. Bob just told me his headers will not fit the Dart heads on the 302 I am looking.
I am all for buying from ERA, I have looked and the prices they offer are in for the most part. Wouldn't hesitate but what to do when they don't or can't offer, you shop.
Let me know what you find.

Dennis
Old 04-03-2007, 04:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

This is a link to Cobra Restorers who have the correct jigs for the FIA headers.

http://www.parts123.com/PartFrame.as...obra_Restorers
click on "model" Cobra and choose "Exhaust".

It's all about ROOM. The problem with the OEM FIA 289 drop type is that there is no room for getting any primary tube length and at the same time keep the mufflers under the doors, consequently the torque suffers significantly. Hence the reason for the redesign when the 427 came about. It is a lot of work to do otherwise, I have examples of what I ultimately did in my gallery, these are Dart Windsor Jr's.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way

Last edited by Rick Parker; 04-03-2007 at 04:56 PM..
Old 04-03-2007, 05:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I ended up buying the ERA headers, for I'm going with AFR heads.

I need to design my exhaust system now. I was thinking of using a single, large bend to a reducer to Classic Chambered Exhaust pipes to a exhaust tip. Probably ceramic coated.

Any exhaust system design guru's out there?

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 04-04-2007, 06:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: era 289 FIA #2112
Not Ranked     

DD which size AFR heads did you go with? I am building mine with the 165's. Like you I am using a vintage 289 block that I converted over to a roller cam, I punched out the cylinders .030"
Old 04-04-2007, 06:35 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: n/a
Send a message via Yahoo to imagine2frolic
Not Ranked     

What kind of hp are you pumping, and what kind of exhaust are you running? Undercar, or sidepipes, and what kind of noise do you want to hear? Remember 1 3" pipe is good for over 500hp. What kind of use will you get out of the car too? These are the questions I ask when a customer comes into my muffler shop.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2039
Not Ranked     
Default "Modify ERA FIA headers"

Let's clear the air about "modifying" ERA FIA headers. All I did was slice about 1" off the collector to make up for the difference between a 9.2" block (351) and the shorter 8,2" 302 / 289 block. Now I can slide the collector up further. The connecting straps needed new holes, No big deal!
Pat
Old 04-05-2007, 09:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

My FIA with a Dart 302 block required about 3/4" "chop" off the bottom of the collector to bring the pipes up. Not a big deal.

Jim
Old 04-05-2007, 10:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Marcalan: I'm figuring a 331 cid with AFR 165's. Heard that 185's on a 289/302 would cause low-end torque to suffer. Need to verify.

ack_fia: ERA specifices 302 vs. 351 headers. Mine are marked 302. Did you have 351 header collector cut by 1", or did you do that to a set of 302 headers.

imagine2frolic: My goal is 370-400 fwhp. I figure a KC 331 or 347. I plan to use this mainly for spirited pleasure driving, with occasional open track use. I'd like to keep the noise somewhat under control, but I want to hear the rumble. I don't want to restrict it too much. In my mind, louder is better, as long as I can throw a Supertrap on it to mellow it when I need to.

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 04-05-2007, 10:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

The particular heads that Dennis (Snakebitekit) was looking at had an extra spread on the port bolt pattern in order to give extra room for the flange bolts. It looked to me like they'd fall outside the header flanges so, without some serious mods, our headers wouldn't be a "bolt-on", even with the collector modification mentioned.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Doug, Sorry somehow I lost track of this thread. I would think 2 1/2 front pipe with 2 1/4 tailpipes will do you good. You can always use an electric cutout on the front pipes to make it wide open.

I had a guy who use to come into the shop, and change tailpipes like most people change their underwear. Depended on where he was going to be driving. Hiway 1 on the SF coastline, or hiway 5
Old 06-01-2007, 01:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the pipe feedback. I'm planning on undercar exhaust that exits in front of the rear wheels. I'm considering a Borla muffler on each side with a tip that angles out.

Is there a specification on how far back the muffler should be from the header, or is the muffler placement a question of "where does it fit"?

Anyone else running undercar on their FIA's?

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 06-01-2007, 01:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Doug, I would put it where it fits. I myself like just a little purr like the late sixty duals. I will start out with 2 1/4 front pipe, and 2 in tailpipes. My first muffler attempt will be a early 60's Chevvy Impala muffler. It is 3 3/4 by 7 3/4 by 25 inch. I haven't seen enough to decide on the routing of the tailpipes. I am hoping for clearance on the inner side of the half shafts. Close to where the old XKE's ran their system.