Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2006, 09:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #678 427SO/468 Cu in.
Not Ranked     
Default Left Foot Question

Where do you guys who have ERA's keep your left foot after shifting. I try hard not to touch the clutch but it is a nice foot pedal without putting any real pressure on the pedal. Will I damage anything? Wish I had a dead pedal. What do you do?
Happy Holidays to All.
Mike R ERA #678
Old 12-27-2006, 10:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

mrud:

ERA has a "dead pedal" which is included in the kit. You can just see it in the fifth picture down on the following page at the ERA website:

http://www.erareplicas.com/427/dash.htm

If I can find a better picture, I'll post it, but it should have come with the kit. It is bolted to the left side of the foot box into the cowl support bracket. It is located (front to rear) to line up with the other pedals.

Jim
Old 12-27-2006, 10:50 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default Just Install a Dead Pedal

There's plenty of room for a small dead pedal, of course it's not as large as the brake or clutch pedal but it's fine for resting your foot (and I have size 12EEE feet). You don't want to rest your foot on the clutch (even lightly); it can cause premature clutch wear.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Not Ranked     

Dead Pedal. Small but very much useful.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have an ERA. I wear size 13 shoes. I did not get a dead pedal so that I could move the pedals as far apart as possible. I still have to wear Chuck Taylors (cheap racing shoes) to fit between the tunnel and brake pedal. I also married a short woman which means I had to adjust the pedals forward.

I rest my left foot on the clutch pedal. It might wear the clutch out prematurely. Too bad. Pulling my foot off of the clutch brings my knee above the door. I think trying to keep my foot off the clutch causes safety issues. I can replace the clutch.

As a side note, once while racing carts I came in last place and was lapped by every other competitor. Accidently resting my left foot on the BRAKE was not a good idea.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #678 427SO/468 Cu in.
Not Ranked     

R&B. That is what I also do. I wonder if they made more room in the newer version. Not that it really matters at this point. If I take my foot off of the clutch, there really is no place to rest.
Mrud
Old 12-29-2006, 10:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

The new ERA427SC chassis dash support braces hug the inside of the body. Thus, there is a modest increase in the width of the driver footbox.

I too sport triple "E"s (lord knows, if my feet were any narrower, I would topple over). I generally drive in my stocking feet or with a pair of very thin soled "driving" shoes.

Jim
Old 12-30-2006, 12:03 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default Here's a shot of my pedals with a tape measure

Remember, this is the newer body style so there might be a tad bit more room for the feet.

Old 01-19-2007, 06:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #375 427 S/C - 428FE - Toploader - 1968 AMX 390 Go Pack 4 Speed - My Daily Driver is a 2004 Crossfire
Send a message via AIM to REDSC400
Not Ranked     

Yes the dead pedal is the way to go. However if you have wide feet like mine then you need driving shoes without external welts. I usually drive in a pair of Piolti's... The welted shoes can hang up on the backs of the pedals and the driving shoes are narrower...

A car can massage organs which no masseur can reach. It is the one remedy for the disorders of the great sympathetic nervous system. Jean Cocteau 1889-1963, French Author, Filmmaker
Old 01-19-2007, 06:50 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

For shoes that fit the car I use either Puma Speed Cats, which are available locally, or Oakly which I got at one of the races here locally from a vendor. The nice thing about the Pumas is that they're relatively inexpensive (I think I paid about $35.00) and readily available. For long drives (6-10 hours) the soles are a little light so I wear the Oakley's. The Pumas are also very light weight and both are comfortable to walk in.
DonC