Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2007, 08:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 719, 302 5speed
Not Ranked     
Default Defroster

Am I correct that to make the defroster work, you just close all the doors on the heater ? I have tried that but still get nothing through the dash vents. Any suggestions?
Old 06-10-2007, 10:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2027, 65' 289" PS wheels
Not Ranked     
Default defroster...

MTR,

Don't expect much from the defroster.

As a heater, it is just enough to heat the drivers side foot box...at least take the chill off. This in Southern CAL at down to say 55 degrees. (If the car was closed it could probably hear the car).

As a defroster? The air just never seems to arrive at the windshield.

Its just a simple box and a little fan pulling through the heater core.

When I installed the heater I cleaned up the fiberglass trunks that lead to defroster bezels, sealed the seams, staightened the defroster hoses best I could...get nothing at the windshield.

When the heater doors are closed they do not really stop the flow...air always leaks around them. Try taping the doors shut on the passenger side and the front door...maybe pick up enough air pressure to get air to the windshield.

Overall, I am glad I have the heater...makes many drives more pleasant to have the foot box warm.

Pete
ERA 289 #2027
Old 06-10-2007, 02:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA, 289 stroked to 331, 392 HP
Not Ranked     

Not sure whether my defroster works or not. I haven't had a problem with the windshield fogging up yet as long as the top is down! BTW - If you're the only on in the car, leaving the tonneau cover over the passenger side while you're driving greatly increases the amount of warm air directed at the driver.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 719, 302 5speed
Not Ranked     

Ya, already discovered the toneau cover trick and your right. I haven't had any windshield fogging problems. I was just trying to figure out how to get airflow out of those vents and wasn't having any luck. Thanks very much for the response. Pete, I too am glad for the heater. I've been driving in the upper 40s and with the tonneau cover and a big coat its just tollerable. I love to drive that car.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2027, 65' 289" PS wheels
Not Ranked     
Default an idea to try...?

MYR et al,

I have tried to think of ways to get more useful heat out of the little heater.

Have tried stuffing towels into the foot-box vent inlets as the flapper valves doen't really seal that well...also towels under the seats to keep air from flowing forward under the seat...HEY...EVERYTHING helps on a cold night after 2 hours.

The car is pretty wide open...even a proper heater with squirrel cage blower would be hard pressed to keep the lower half of a human comfortable in
a roadster type car.

The tonnaeu cover sounds like a big improvement...unless your passenger wants to sit up.

So, go one step further...a blanket, skirt...whatever?. Snapped or velcroed to the underside of dash lip. Long enough to reach to the back of the seats and cover your lap.

It would seal off the lower interior...sort of like a gaiter in a kayak...tuck it in around your lap and the passenger and at least your lower half would be warm!

Sounds like overkill till you try to get a gal to go for a ride in the winter time...twice.

Not cold enough often enough in So. Cal to have ever followed through on making it, but for folks to the east seems like a good October to May idea for long drives.

Pete
ERA 289 #2027
Old 06-11-2007, 05:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA, 289 stroked to 331, 392 HP
Not Ranked     

Pete,
When I owned my MGB years ago I used a similar trick to what you are describing. I would place an old cotton sleeping bag across my legs (and those of my passenger if I had one) and stuff it under the front of the dash. With that and a good coat I was able to drive relatively comfortably all winter long (even at 2 AM in Dec/Jan).
Old 06-11-2007, 05:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Unfortunately, because the cowl vent holes are pretty small, you don't get a lot of air against the windshield. I did a bit of experimenting and didn't notice much difference in how much air came through, even with different heater-case door sealings. It's just part of the "culture shock" that we live through after experiencing the blast furnace that some contemporary cars throw...

I remember a magazine description of an MGB heater from back in the '60s:

"It sounds like a blast furnace but feels like a little old lady breathing on your leg."
Old 06-11-2007, 08:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Not Ranked     

There is always the option of getting a heated seat pad and keeping a towel nearby to clean the windshield fog off.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 742 / 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Get a bigger motor.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic CCX 3970: 1965 427 Cobra S/C, Shelby aluminum 427 CSX 290 (468 cu in) engine
Not Ranked     

Now you guys know why they started putting big blocks in these things... Rich
Old 06-11-2007, 02:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA-722, Pure Street in BRG
Not Ranked     

Get an under car exhaust with a FE... your leggs will never be cold again!