Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2008, 11:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #775
Not Ranked     
Default Paint?

Given where the thread on my ERA visit was going, I thought I would start a new thread on paint. I actually thought that the hardest part of the paint was choosing the color. Well that may still be the case, but it seems there's a lot more to consider when it comes to getting your cobra painted.

On ERA's website, they talk about both Tony's and Connecticut Custom Car. Others on this board have suggested Metalmorphous. When I had met with Peter, he was steering me towards Tony. However, it seems I need to find out more before I speak to any of them about my paint.

From your experiences, what is considered a "normal" paint job, and what are considered the extras? Just what should I be expecting, what should I be looking for and what questions should I ask? How did you decide which painter to go with?

I truly appreciate any input you can offer!

Ray
Old 06-23-2008, 01:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default The prep work is what makes a great paint job

RAO-3 Tony painted my car 3 colors. The job came out perfect. The price was 4K less than only one local that would even look at the car. There is alot of body work to remove the seams. When Tony is done the whole body is smoooooth. He painted my Paxton hood last year. The car was done in 97 the first time. He matched the color perfect. I'm sure the other guy is very good also, but Tony has the years behind him for doing alot of the ERA cars. I guessing 3-400 of the over 700 built. Peter P would know this number. I believe in staying with what works and not mess around trying to save a dollar or cut a corner. When you are talking 50K for the car what's another $500.00 dollars for perfect. JMO Ray. Rick L.Ps Ray buy a Lo-jac for the car when done. Just a thought.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

I went with Connecticut Customs because Tony's was backed up when my car was ready for paint. While I think they did a pretty good job, I've seen other cars (not ERAs) that I think have a far superior paint job. If you contact Connecticut Customs, they will give you a price list showing the base price as well as all the upgrades they can do (things like painting the engine compartment side of the footboxes, smoothing and painting the underside of the trunk lid, etc.).

Chris
Old 06-23-2008, 02:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Rick - I understand what you're saying and share your thoughts; I'm not looking to "bargain basement" the paint, but want a really good looking car, and if it costs a few extra bucks, so be it.

Hi Chris, I appreciate the points, actually you're not the first to say something like that, yet there are some that did get good work done there.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

Ray:

RE:

http://conncustomcar.com/index.htm

I have lived in the Enfield Ct area all my life. While I personally have not had any work done by Walt, he has an excellent reputation.

When driving by his shop on Route 5, seems he always has a Cobra body being worked on, just guessing these are from ERA which is approx 20 miles South from Walt's shop.

Either way, Tony or CCC, I doubt Peter would even mention a vendor unless he was personally satisfied.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default I'm sure you are right Don

Don ERA is not going to put their reputation on the line for a company that is not up to their standards. ERA just doesn't do this. I'm sure that either company will do a perfect job. Tony was the only one that I had talked to in 97. After seeing his paint work on other cobras at ERA it was a no brainer. I saw the new GS vette at Carlisle for the KITCAR show. Talk about a paint job. The car was a real eye catcher. Rick L.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just an update for those that may be interested.

I spoke to Ron at Metalmorphous for a bit about both the paint and the aluminum treatment of the hood. He was kind enough to walk me through what he does, and explain to me what's needed and what he suggests, such as the fender well treatment. I also talked colors with him. Great guy, and I can see why you guys like dealing with him.

I also spoke to Tony to find out what he does. We also talked about timing and to discuss colors. We also talked about prep work, and the kind of paint finish I'm looking for. Tony was also very helpful, took the time out to explain things to me, and to let me know the options.

I'm hoping to hear back from CCC this week, so I can go thru everything with them as well.

Between the helpful input from many of you on this board and having seen paint work from each of them at ERA, I feel that I'm more "in the know" on what to look for and what to ask, which will help me get the paint job I'm looking for.

Now if I can only decide on colors!

Ray
Old 06-27-2008, 07:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA #690, FRPP 427 Boss engine
Not Ranked     

I have to start by confessing that Ron is a friend of mine. I'll also confess that I am a perfectionist and Ron did a great job, both in fixing my coupe and in painting my GT40.

He took my coupe from this:

to this:

and my GT40 from this:

to this:

He is very talented with a squirt gun!
Old 06-27-2008, 08:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #698 428 Toploader
Not Ranked     

Ray, when you get prices from all 3 shops can you please post them? Just curious what quality paint on a Cobra goes for these days.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

To follow up on my previous posting, I've now spoken to all three painters; I can see that each is very friendly and would be easy to deal with. Of course that doesn't make the decision any easier. Each seems to provide a high quality finish and understands the details of what's required to give me the outcome I'm looking for. As I still have a bit of time to make a final decision, I'm going to consider each alternative further.

cobraed, when I first started considering each of the shops, I figured that I could call each of them and get "a price"; but having talked to each of them, I think that providing "a price" from each shop would be deceptive, since each shop asks specific questions regarding the colors that you're looking for and what you want done. That said, on the ERA site, they mention prices starting at $4k and $5.5k; I think those are old numbers, and likely were only the starting point at the time they were posted on their site. If you'd like more details, you can PM me.

Ray
Old 06-30-2008, 06:58 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAO-3 View Post
That said, on the ERA site, they mention prices starting at $4k and $5.5k...
I have yet to have anything on my Cobra come in at or less than than what I thought it would cost.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I have yet to have anything on my Cobra come in at or less than than what I thought it would cost.
I'm learning that very quickly!

Ray