Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2008, 12:18 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default Well this pretty much sucks...

Tapped from behind in traffic today. Anybody have a recommendation for a shop in Northern Virginia?

UPDATED:

Before:

After:

I'm updating my original post to make it easier for new readers. In short, the other driver's carrier covered everything, including the costs to ship the car back up to Connecticut Custom Car so Walt could personally handle the repairs (which he deemed as "minor"). The cost of the repairs was $8,600. The cost to ship the car up and back to CT was $1,700. Walt had done the original body work and, as expected, did a spectacular job (as you can see from the "after" picture above). It's a pleasure working with both him and his family.

Last edited by patrickt; 10-08-2008 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: Edited to give an update on how it all turned out.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ouch!!! Sorry to see that. I hope it gets fixed quickly.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Suppose they were trying to get a closer look?
Old 07-19-2008, 01:22 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC427SC View Post
Suppose they were trying to get a closer look?
This is Northern Virginia. They did not speak english, the driver had no driver's license. Shockingly though, the owner has valid insurance.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:23 PM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     

That really sucks.

Check with the Dark Siders ... they would know.

http://www.nvcorvetteclub.com/

http://www5.hamptons.com/licorvette/clublist/clubva.htm

http://www.virginiacorvetteclub.com/

Do a Google search on "Corvette Clubs Virginia" and you will find a ton of the Corvette clubs.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:33 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtm442 View Post
That really sucks.

Check with the Dark Siders ... they would know.

http://www.nvcorvetteclub.com/

http://www5.hamptons.com/licorvette/clublist/clubva.htm

http://www.virginiacorvetteclub.com/

Do a Google search on "Corvette Clubs Virginia" and you will find a ton of the Corvette clubs.

Thanks -- could of been worse, I suppose.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 758 KC Pond 482
Not Ranked     

Really sorry to see this. Hope everything gets fixed right and quickly. Too bad Ron Randall dosen't make house calls.

Good luck with the repair.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SO with big twin autolite inlines on custom intake, jag rear, top loader, wembeldon white, guardsmen blue stripes
Not Ranked     

Curious as to hw their insurance company will handle that?, will you keep us posted on the process?. Also, does ERA sell panels for such accidents?.

Remember!, there's a huge difference between a 'parts' changer, and a mechanic.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:00 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 S/O View Post
Curious as to hw their insurance company will handle that?, will you keep us posted on the process?. Also, does ERA sell panels for such accidents?.
Yeah, I'll keep you posted. I don't know squat about fiberglass body work. But the trunk lid is banged up as well. Bob P., do you all sell trunk lids?
Old 07-19-2008, 02:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Yecchh...

Yes, we'll sell you a trunk lid and a section of the fender.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

That suks!!!! At least it appears cosmetic but none the less I feel for you!!!
Old 07-19-2008, 02:24 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by strictlypersonl View Post
Yecchh...

Yes, we'll sell you a trunk lid and a section of the fender.
Thanks -- I sent the head of the NoVA Corvette Club an email asking for a body shop reference. Once I get it to the best shop I can find we'll all coordinate the appropriate fix.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 408w 500 h.p. 550 ft.lbs
Not Ranked     

Most ins. co's will not pay when the driver does not have a valid drivers license----unless the vehicle was stolen????
Had the same thing happen to me last summer. Took 6 months & $14,000 to repaint entire car as noone would attempt to repair because of show quality paint job. Best of luck getting it sorted, I hope it will not be as stressfull as it was for me. My best advice would to get any repair agreement fully in writing with a agreed on completion date with penalty clause including every detail of the process documented.
Mine was promised in 3 months---NO PROBLEM---took 6 & I had to completely re-assemble myself in order to get the car back so I could drive it this summer. Otherwise I would probably still be waiting for them to finish.
Craig
Old 07-19-2008, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Sorry to see that happen.

You let them live, eh?
Old 07-19-2008, 03:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Soory for the damage to your car

patrickt As long as you are alright, that's the most important thing Pat I know you may not want to hear this but, Looking at the crack going up the side by the trunk lid, it may have taken a harder hit than you are seeing. I don't know who you can trust to repair your car in VA but the best are in Conn. They do about 85% of ERAs paint jobs. If there is any one I have faith in it's Tony. Did He get a ticket? If not press the police to issue one. Find out when the court date is and be there. Talk to the prosecutor. Push hard for no deal. Stupid people should not be driving on the street. He couldn't see you? Raise some HELL!!! You could have fell to the ground and claimed whiplash. Talk to His insurance company and tell them there are NO COBRA Body shops in VA. The frame may be alright but what about under the car and the inner panels. The only way to be sure is grind off all the paint and look for cracks. You have way too much money in the car to settle for a MACCO repair of $249.99. Got a penny? My car will go back to Tony next year for a complete paint and repair from racing for 10 years. He will match the paint perfect when done. Rick L. Send me a private e-mail when and where to call you.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Finally, an accident thread with an actual report of damages and pictures no less...

There are no structural supports in that area of an ERA. Glass, paint some misc parts should just about cover it. I would estimate $2,000 or so in repairs. Let us know how it goes by updating the thread in the future.

Is the trunk lid damaged or scratched? Hard to tell from the picture.

Last edited by Excaliber; 07-19-2008 at 04:18 PM..
Old 07-19-2008, 04:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SO with big twin autolite inlines on custom intake, jag rear, top loader, wembeldon white, guardsmen blue stripes
Not Ranked     

So, Ernie, along with all your other expertise, your an adjuster as well?.

Remember!, there's a huge difference between a 'parts' changer, and a mechanic.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yeah, good call from an arm chair and single picture on the computer eh?

Just throwing out some numbers. Any takers on expected repair costs? Maybe we can start a pool. My estimate did NOT include a 'new trunk lid' by the way. I'm assuming some scratches, maybe hinges for alignment and paint. Of course 'paint' is a HUGE variable on final cost.

IF, as strictlypersonal suggested, new rear quarter clip AND trunk lid that could push the cost of parts alone near the $2,000 mark. Again, I would assume, glass REPAIR, paint, misc parts. It would be interesting to see how this develops, cost wise.

Last edited by Excaliber; 07-19-2008 at 04:33 PM..
Old 07-19-2008, 06:43 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Well, what I think I'll do...

... is on Monday talk with my carrier, Grundy, and see if they'll OK my shipping it on up to Bob P. to inspect and then from there on to Connecticut Custom since they did the original work. I plan on placing the claim through my carrier, Grundy, and they can then subrogate back through the other driver's carrier.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:30 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICK LAKE View Post
You have way too much money in the car to settle for a MACCO repair of $249.99.
AHHEM, watch it with the MAACO thing as I've done some truly show winning custom paint jobs out of my little hole in the wall MAACO shop (all are individually owned and operated so not all put out the same quality work) here in PA ....I do agree that there is more to the damage that meets the eye, I can see several stress cracks (when hit, the force moves laterally throughout the body and chassis) that radiate out from the main damage area. I'd like to see a shot taken from the inside of the quarter/taillight panel to see what other physical damage can be seen.....If you were a little closer to here, I'd come down to take a look at it up close to see what really has transpired as I've had "some" experience with Cobra/Corvette body repairs..........

The good part about all of this is that you were not hurt, the car can always be repaired, your life sometimes cannot be if you get my drift......

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS