Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2020, 04:45 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids2toys View Post
I was not talking about the mounting holes , I am talking about adding small ventilation holes because with the box mounted upside down, water could collect on the finned side which would normally be the top. They told me that if mounted on it's feet, the bottom is not sealed so water could escape, being upside down, the condensation cannot escape.
No, I just ignored that advice.
Old 10-09-2020, 09:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

That is what I was told a few years ago. It never really made sense to me because ft the bottom is not sealed, that mean it is ventilating the inside of the box, Maybe just not enough perhaps? The tech I spoke with yesterday said he never heard of that!!! He also said I need to only drill 1 5/32 hole in the cap when a could of years ago and just last week the techs said (4) 1/4" holes!!! I think they are making this up as they go along.
I told him I have the socket style cap with the window in it so why should I need to drill and holes at all, I could just leave the window open for ventilation and he agreed!!
ERA#698 428, 4 speed Toploader, 3:31 Jag rear
Old 10-09-2020, 09:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The bottom plate is not sealed, and is meant to be the "drain" of the unit IF any moisture somehow occurs. Generally only those mounted in the engine compartment of those who like to wash their engine bay. I like mine mounted vertically. I see no harm how the unit is mounted in the passenger compartment.

Gold Certified Holden Technician
Old 10-10-2020, 07:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #816, 427 Side Oiler
Not Ranked     

Am I the only one that runs a capacitor on my MSD? If you don't, you should!
Gaz64 likes this.
Old 10-10-2020, 08:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

I do and so does Patrick?
Old 10-11-2020, 06:20 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I do and so does Patrick?
Yes, and so does Patrick. Now, you have to remember that capacitors do wear out, though not too often. The easiest way to test your MSD capacitor is to to disconnect your battery and then hit your horn button. If you hear the horn relay click and the almost beginnings of a "toot" then you know the capacitor is holding a charge. That's also how you bleed the capacitor off before you do any work on your electrical system.
jetblue69 likes this.
Old 10-11-2020, 10:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yep, definitely need to bleed off the capacitor... As an electrical/avionics engineer on commercial aircraft I can tell you that if you don't do that with gas turbine ignition systems it WILL KILL YOU!
Old 10-11-2020, 01:57 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

And considering that most of our cars are sitting dormant 99.9% of the time, it just makes sense to disconnect the battery and bleed the capacitor off. That will help reduce cooling system electrolysis corrosion and, theoretically at least, extend the life of the capacitor. My positive cable to the battery is on a big knife switch, so it's very easy to disconnect and visually confirm it. Then I just flip the dash light switch on and leave it on. Not only does that bleed the capacitor off, but it also prevents the capacitor from spontaneously charging itself (yes, they really can do that). It's always best to leave a capacitor shorted. That really only takes a few seconds. Yep, that's a great bar-room quiz question to win a free drink: Can a capacitor really spontaneously charge all by itself? And for bonus points, how the heck does it do that?
Old 10-12-2020, 07:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. #505
Not Ranked     

Quote:
You are saying the car would still start?
No. It would not start. After it sat for a couple hours, it would start right up and not have any issues for weeks.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I was talking to another a local ERA owner friend of mine and it sounds like he had the exact same problem years ago as you descibe. He said the pins had become loose in the block connection. I believe he said he got a new connection and set all the pins with RTV. Maybe he will chime in to this thread and enlighten us with the explanation he gave me!
tboneheller likes this.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:56 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I was talking to another a local ERA owner friend of mine and it sounds like he had the exact same problem years ago as you descibe. He said the pins had become loose in the block connection. I believe he said he got a new connection and set all the pins with RTV. Maybe he will chime in to this thread and enlighten us with the explanation he gave me!
Put your head under the dash and look for two big-ass red connectors. They are for the high amperage feeds. ERA pulled the high amp lines out of the multi-pin connectors over 15 years ago. If you don't see these big red connectors, then you should consider upgrading the connections. Here's a pic:

Old 10-12-2020, 12:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You made my day, I have it with a heavy red wire and a heavy yellow wire. Right next to it is an exact same type connector with and a heavy brown and a heavy white wire. So to clarify, if I have this red connector can I rule out this old pin problem and concentrate on the ignition switch or small red MSD wire as the culprit?

Last edited by davids2toys; 10-12-2020 at 12:50 PM..
Old 10-12-2020, 12:39 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
You made my day, I have it with a heavy red wire and a heavy yellow wire. Right next to it is an exact same type connector with and a heavy brown wire and a heavy and a heavy white wire. So to clarify, if I have this red connector can I rule out this old pin problem and concentrate on the ignition switch or small red MSD wire as the culprit?
Yes. Rest easy.
Old 10-12-2020, 12:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cool, thanks!!!
What is the blue connector?
Old 10-12-2020, 12:52 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Cool, thanks!!!
What is the blue connector?
I don't think I've seen a blue connector. Post a pic and I'll see if I recognize it.
Old 10-12-2020, 01:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
And considering that most of our cars are sitting dormant 99.9% of the time, it just makes sense to disconnect the battery and bleed the capacitor off. That will help reduce cooling system electrolysis corrosion and, theoretically at least, extend the life of the capacitor. My positive cable to the battery is on a big knife switch, so it's very easy to disconnect and visually confirm it. Then I just flip the dash light switch on and leave it on. Not only does that bleed the capacitor off, but it also prevents the capacitor from spontaneously charging itself (yes, they really can do that). It's always best to leave a capacitor shorted. That really only takes a few seconds. Yep, that's a great bar-room quiz question to win a free drink: Can a capacitor really spontaneously charge all by itself? And for bonus points, how the heck does it do that?

Well, I'll leave that for someone else. I will recuse myself from the contest given my profession.
Old 10-12-2020, 02:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I don't think I've seen a blue connector. Post a pic and I'll see if I recognize it.
Here you go. I also included a pic of this weird little circuit board which caught my eye, what is it?
Attached Images

Old 10-12-2020, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I also included a pic of this weird little circuit board which caught my eye, what is it?
If I remember correctly, that circuit board is the circuit ERA uses to allow your windshield wipers to "park" in the correct position.
Old 10-12-2020, 02:49 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OK, the "high amperage" wire path is BROWN from the 50 amp circuit breaker to one side of the amp gauge, RED from the other side of the amp gauge to the #1 always-hot post on the fuse block, YELLOW from the #1 post on the fuse block to the BATT terminal on the ignition switch, and WHITE from the ACC post back to the switched circuits on the fuse block. And yes, that circuit board makes up for an impossible-to-obtain wiper timing switch.
Old 10-12-2020, 04:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So you must have the blue box also with the same wiring as me?
I have a voltage gags, no amp.