Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2009, 05:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ...
Not Ranked     
Default Swapping out the Jag rear for the ERA?

Just curious, how difficult / costly would it be to swap the Jag rear with the inboard brakes for the ERA rear with the outboards? Worth the trouble?

I was interested in an ERA for sale that had the Jag rear end, and whatever car I get I plan to track semi-infrequently. From what I understand the inboard brakes dont do well for the track.

Opinions / Suggestions? As I have a wife, a major overhaul requiring many thousands could cost me my life.

Thanks!
-Mark
Old 01-19-2009, 05:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 758 KC Pond 482
Not Ranked     

Part of it depends on what s/n the car you are looking at is. From #565 on, the mounting points are there already. Not sure what is needed if the chassis is older than that. You may be able to re-use the center section in the new style rear saving a few bucks.

As for the wife, tell her it is for your safety and hers and that nothing but the best is all she deserves.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

I have car 629 and I switched from the jag based rearend to the custom ERA rearend. The only parts that were salvaged from the old rear if I remember correctly were the center section and the half shafts. It was a fairly easy conversion to do but it was not cheap. I don't remember the exact numbers but it cost me in the neighborhood of $3k. Call Peter and he'll let you know what it'll cost. But don't rule out the jag based rear for the track. I tracked my car several times and the brakes and everything else held up fine. The reason I swapped mine out was because of a blown u-joint on the drive line which I believe was caused by a wheel hop problem. Some ERAs seem to be fine with no wheel hop and other guys can't seem to get rid of it. If your car has no wheel hop I see no reason to switch to the custom rear for just occasional track time.

Chris
Old 01-19-2009, 06:29 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudicrousSpeed View Post
Just curious, how difficult / costly would it be to swap the Jag rear with the inboard brakes for the ERA rear with the outboards? Worth the trouble?
If the ERA number is pre-575, it's a little trickier than you might think.
http://www.erareplicas.com/427man/er...rarsupdate.htm