Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2009, 11:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BRG ERA street car w/428 PI, Sunburst wheels, undercar exhaust, original interior, no philips head screws!
Not Ranked     
Default Original Fuse box cover solution on ERA stock fuse block w/pics

Ok, so I took the advice of not messing with the stock fuse block setup from ERA. I think sound advice. It got my wheels turning though and I had from my old TR6 days an NOS 7FJ fuse block and cover. In months past I had placed it over the ERA block as it looked very close. Now the stock cover has a bar in the middle for lack of another descriptive term that it mates to the original fuse block. Right off the bat I new that was an issue but something I could easily cut or file down so it did not hit the ERA block. I was at ERA on Monday and got a bare ERA fuse block. When I got home I did some quick fiddling and then this AM I finally had some time to work in this. Pictures are worth a 1000 words so I will let them tell the story. Bottom line is that I was able to shave off the bar in the middle, mill down the inside edges of the cover with an ignition file and a lot of patients and I got the cover to go mate with the stock ERA block. Not restrictively tight but a good seal. Don't know long term if it will stay on but I can't see why not. Any comments would be welcome good or bad. This accomplished my goal as best as possible.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:17 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default Excellent!

I think that looks great. I'm going to try and do the same thing.

Last edited by patrickt; 03-11-2009 at 11:47 AM..
Old 03-11-2009, 11:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BRG ERA street car w/428 PI, Sunburst wheels, undercar exhaust, original interior, no philips head screws!
Not Ranked     

Good luck. If you need any help let me know.

Last edited by 428street; 03-11-2009 at 12:15 PM..
Old 03-11-2009, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I guess I'll have to continue having points deducted at Monterey in the ERA-original-Cobra- fuse-block-cover class. My carb air pan must make me a real outlaw...

The beauty of ERA's exposed fuses is being instantly able to check fuse condition when the hood is opened. Give me functionality every time.

As Patrick said, "I know when I'm licked".
Old 03-11-2009, 04:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If the 2 seconds it takes to remove the cover I made (which is experimental until I drive the car) makes the exposed fuse block less functional in a case where a fuse is blown and I have to check then I guess technically you are correct. My question to you would be why did Bob Putnam design, manufacture and now sell a black fuse cover that fits over both fuse blocks. Did he design something that would take away from the functionalitty of his own design?

Listen, I know 99% of replica car owners don't give a rats behind about originality. I know that know matter what I do I am not going to transform my ERA into a real car. There is a line in the ERA website that describes the car as a "visual clone" so I am just taking it a step further to suit my desires.

I'm not that stupid to think I am going to make my car "original". I get a rise out of it and thats why I do it. Don't do it for anyone else, to enter into a car show, to impress people, it's just my thing.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: era 289 FIA #2112
Not Ranked     

looks real nice
Old 03-11-2009, 04:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Street,
I'll repeat myself from your original post:
"I have total respect for your mania. Your car is a complete knock-out. It is obviously a car that's been 'done right' a comment I've heard often too."

I think my problem is that I have come to appreciate that ERAs have a 'look' of their own, to my eye even more appealing than originals, newer CSX's and KMP's. Meaning no disrespect to those makes or any others. Many are fantastic cars.

An ERA's personality, in my view, comes from the windshield angle, wheel flares and it's stance. The flares are from an original configuration and the 'shield angle only used on some of the smallblock racecars but the uniqueness of the combination makes it an ERA.

I look at your car with envy and think "that's a beautiful ERA". It's actually more visually appealing to me than an original. And to some degree, more than my own. The top, the BRG, the Sunbursts - totally elegant for a brute such as a Cobra. Enjoy your project knowing you've started with a beautiful hand-built sportscar.

I hope I've said better what I'm really thinking.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:01 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
I hope I've said better what I'm really thinking.
FWIW, I ordered two Lucas covers from a British parts outlet this afternoon -- and they've already shipped them. I love a little tweak like this.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

I gotta agree with Chas. ERA cars need no excuse. They are enough to stand on their own. The ERA Cobra has been around since about 1980, and are almost as old (in concept) as the originals. I love my car, and so do many people who see it. From the outside, it looks like an original, and drives better. Nothing wrong with a fuse box cover, but mine stays the way I got it. Ditto for the toploader.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:39 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOERA-SC7XX View Post
I gotta agree with Chas ... Nothing wrong with a fuse box cover, but mine stays the way I got it. Ditto for the toploader.
But my dual black Lucas covers will match my dual black roll bars perfectly.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
But my dual black Lucas covers will match my dual black roll bars perfectly.
Now that's funny!
Old 03-11-2009, 06:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Zo,
Who said "Paint It Black, Black As Night" ?
I love black ERA's as much as BRG-ones.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mick Jagger (Rolling Stones)
Old 03-11-2009, 06:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 347 Stroker Morrison Injection. Registered.
Not Ranked     

Every time an ERA comes up for sale or comes up on a gallery I always have a good look being a huge fan of the ERA car. I agree with ERA Chas that the ERA has as good if not a better stance as any other kit and that includes the originals. Im not knocking the Shelby or Kirkhams because I really think theyre the top of the tree. The only thing that constantly amazes me are the fuses on the firewall on the ERA. I really dont get it. Covering them up as 428street is doing is better than nothing but if I was building an ERA I would want them positioned under the dash away from plane view or in some other obscure spot.

Regards.

Last edited by Mando; 03-11-2009 at 07:07 PM..
Old 03-12-2009, 06:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

The fuses are there for two reasons: That's where they were on the original car and, have you ever tried climbing underneath a Cobra dash?
Old 03-12-2009, 06:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for your support Bob.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ok, I took my covers off...is everyone happy now???!!!!
Old 03-12-2009, 08:00 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 428street View Post
ok, I took my covers off...is everyone happy now???!!!!
I'm not. I really like the look of having them on.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:38 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Put em back on Frankie, it's your car, done your way, it's magnificent, it's really clear to anyone with an ounce of common sense what you are doing and why. No excuses required.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That was an early April fools joke!!!! Ya, like I'm going to take them off...not!!!!

I just took the car out for a test spin to see if they would come off over bumps, at speed, etc. and they did not budge...so, they are staying on and the fuses are a little happier as well...they said thank you!