Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2009, 05:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BRG ERA street car w/428 PI, Sunburst wheels, undercar exhaust, original interior, no philips head screws!
Not Ranked     
Default Burnt Coil = Mystery Smell

ok, so I got lucky yesterday and then I got even luckier...

I did my normal take the car out of the garage warm it up and then move it down the bottom of my driveway because the boss doesn't like the smell to much. So being a law abiding, peace keeping husband I did that yesterday as well.

I get in the car, put it in reverse, hit the gas to back up and the car dies! Usually I have been able to get out of any situation rather quickly. I have been "learning" how to start the car as each car has it's own sweet spot of start-up routine. Well nothing I did worked and I had a gut feeling that there was something more serious.

As I am walking up my driveway a guy who I didn't know parks his car and comes over towards my car and introduces himself. He immediately asks what make the car is and I told him. Come to find out he is good friends with one of the "founders" years ago of ERA now living in Florida. Don't remember his name off the top of my head.

He knew very well of Peter's original car and his first replica. He thought this was his car! Then I had to explain to him that I absolutely loved the car but today was not a good day. I was stuck on the bottom of my driveway and the car would not start.

Now as many of you know I am a super detail guy but I am not any where near a "seasoned" mechanic. I know enough to be dangerous but thats about it. Well, he went back home, got his tester and ended up spending at least an hour with me troubleshooting. I learned a TON and now feel comfortable being able to troubleshoot if need be.

To make a long story short, we found the coil I had burnt out and tar coming out of the top. Luckily I had a used spare. Replaced it, and it fired right up. Now that is awesome. BTW, this guy has about 10-12 cars.

Ok, now for my question. Do I need a resistor? I did not have one and the guy said that this is probably the reason why this coil burnt. He said it is also probably the smell I was getting as well. Won't know until I go for a long drive but I'm fairly certain it was the problem.

I believe I spoke to Doug about needing a resistor and he said no. I have a Pertronix's ignition, stock coil, and distributor as back ground info..

Bob, electrical guys?
Old 03-29-2009, 06:34 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SUPERFORMANCE w DOUG MEYER ENGINE
Not Ranked     

Hi 428street!
Congrats on fixing your baby. That must have been driving you nuts. And, as luck would have it, you didn't get stuck out on the road someplace.
I know my car has a ballast resistor. I am pretty sure they regulate how much juice goes to the coil. They are very cheap and easy to install.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Waiting to Order a BDR, engine to be a SA C408. TKO to hook it up.
Not Ranked     

Do you need a resistor ? - this Doug is going to say "I have absolutely no earthly idea at all"

Glad your fix was an easy one.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     

Most stock Ford coils have an internal resistor. It should say on the body. If it's not a stock Ford coil with an internal ballast it does need a ballast resistor in the power wire.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BRG ERA street car w/428 PI, Sunburst wheels, undercar exhaust, original interior, no philips head screws!
Not Ranked     

I want to clarify, maybe I over exaggerated a bit. The top was not melted...the top was in tack, there was some black tar coming out of the crease where the mustard top meets the black cover....
Old 03-29-2009, 12:01 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default Flame-Thrower?

The Pertronix Flame-Thrower coil? No, you don't need a ballast resistor. Uhhh, you don't happen to have your coil mounted horizontally do you? (Meaning not having it straight up and down).

Why I asked -- If you have it mounted sideways, make sure it's the epoxy and not oil filled.
http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/fla...s/default.aspx

Last edited by patrickt; 03-29-2009 at 12:05 PM.. Reason: Fat Fumble Fingers
Old 03-29-2009, 01:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I had the original small half-pint black/mustard top coil and it is mounted in the correct location, horizontially on top of the intake.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:20 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 428street View Post
I had the original small half-pint black/mustard top coil and it is mounted in the correct location, horizontially on top of the intake.
OK, if that is an oil filled coil and you have it mounted horizontally then that's most likely the problem. If you want it mounted horizontally then you gotta go with the epoxy "High Vibration" off-road jobs. Oil-filled coils leave air bubbles when mounted on their side and either short-out or overheat (or both).
Old 03-29-2009, 01:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ok, ? And I am not being a wise butt. I understand your thought process but why would Ford have designed the coil to sit on top horizontally? BTW, I have seen my share of people who have them mounted vertically on the block...now I know why. The Pertronixs does have one that is high vibration and I think silicone filled...
Old 03-29-2009, 01:38 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
OK, if that is an oil filled coil and you have it mounted horizontally then that's most likely the problem. If you want it mounted horizontally then you gotta go with the epoxy "High Vibration" off-road jobs. Oil-filled coils leave air bubbles when mounted on their side and either short-out or overheat (or both).
I promise I'm not making it up. MSD makes a big deal about it (I have mine mounted sideways on the intake as well) and sells their "Hi-Vibration" coil specifically for that purpose. I did a quick Google on the MSD site and found this chat thread from their tech support where the tech guys says "The oil is what cools the coil. When a oil filled coil is mounted side ways it tends to get hot and fail." https://www.msdignition.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1818 I'm also pretty sure the instructions for oil-filled coils always tell you not to mount them sideways.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I don't think you are making it up at all...it makes a lot of sense....
Old 03-29-2009, 01:52 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 428street View Post
I don't think you are making it up at all...it makes a lot of sense....
Well, I've been known to make up shi*, at least according to my wife & kids.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My wife thought this was funny....

Old 03-29-2009, 02:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

The original street 427 had a ballast resistor, at least according to the wiring diagram. Don't ask me where they hid it. Not visible anywhere in my picture archive.

My recollection is that a resistor is preferred when using a Pertronix ignition module.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think the BR was located on the bottom right hand corner of the firewall...I'll call Doug and see if he has one in stock...thanks.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:11 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by strictlypersonl View Post
My recollection is that a resistor is preferred when using a Pertronix ignition module.
Quote:
If converting from a point type ignition, remove any resistance wire, or ballast resistor that may have been previously used. If a resistance wire is present: replace the wire with a 12-gauge copper stranded wire. Most resistance wires begin at the engine compartment side of the fuse block. If a ballast resistor is present: remove the wires attached to both sides of the resistor. Connect all of the wires removed together at a single point. Isolate the connection from any grounds.
Source -- Flame-Thrower Instructions http://static.summitracing.com/globa...istributor.pdf

It couldn't hurt to just call the Pertronix tech guys though.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #570 w Shelby FE
Not Ranked     

Nope, ballast resistors were only required on point ignitions as points could leave the coil continuously energized while the engine was not running and the key was still "on". By design electronic ignitions can't do this.

GM (starting around mid 60's) used a NiChrome wire from the firewall block to the coil so there was no visible resistor. Far as I can recall Ford and Chrysler used either a resistor or a built-in ballast in the coil.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

I think Ford prior to 1975 used a special kind of Wire that had a certain OHM resistance value "Per Foot". It was used from the + side of the coil to the 12 Volt switched hot source whether it was from the ignition switch or the fuse block. Once they introduced the 1st generation of electronic ignition the transistors began doing the work.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 03-29-2009, 08:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

So much for the "Taco Bell" theory. Glad to hear you figured it out.

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 03-30-2009, 03:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

We have had trouble with the repro "mustard-top" coils to the point where we will not use them. -- we use pertonix , MSD, mallory, motorcraft, or delco (if its a GM car) .
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com