Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2010, 04:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     
Default ERA Manufacturer's plate

MY project #782 was delivered this week and I've been taking stock of the boxes of parts, etc and came up with a question. I found the chassis number tag on the frame but haven't come across any form of a manufacturer's plate or any other papers that may be eventually related to registering and licensing the car. Forgot to ask Peter about it the other day. Are these usually sent separately later?
Old 02-12-2010, 04:48 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
MY project #782 was delivered this week and I've been taking stock of the boxes of parts, etc and came up with a question. I found the chassis number tag on the frame but haven't come across any form of a manufacturer's plate or any other papers that may be eventually related to registering and licensing the car. Forgot to ask Peter about it the other day. Are these usually sent separately later?
You need the MSO certificate (it looks just like a car title) and ERA also provides a little metal manufacturer plate that you can rivet to the foot box. I never bothered affixing my plate to the box -- it's up to you. Look around for your MSO and if you can't find it, call Peter up. You will need that MSO when you go to the DMV -- it's really important.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

Didn't get mine either. I bought a repro Shelby Plate & attached it to the Footbox with the ERA serial number on it.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: # 757 ERA 427 SC , 482 Al. big block
Not Ranked     

If you call Peter @ERA , he`ll get one made and sent to you , which is what he did for me . Maybe it has to do with getting a turn key car vs a kit ?? Mine was not a turn key . Patrick is correct .... the MSO is vital .... you can`t register the car without it .
Old 02-12-2010, 07:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Thanks

I'll get with Peter on the MSO and data plate. No immediate hurry for them. Car showed up without any seats too. After taking stock of the boxes it dawned on me that these seats are either really small - or they inflate with air - or they aren't in any of these boxes. Makes it tough to sit in the car and go "varoom - varoom". A few unidentified parts found too that I've labled "mystery parts" thus far. Peter liked that term.

Dan
Old 02-12-2010, 08:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA-722, Pure Street in BRG
Not Ranked     

Dan, Don't worry... just call Peter and he'll ship you what you need as it comes available. In the boxes you should find the ERA data plate.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Dan,

Don't know about the ID plate ... but congratulations on getting your car !

Be sure to post some pictures!
Old 02-12-2010, 09:11 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Here, this is what mine looks like. I never even took it out of the hermetically sealed bag and, to this day, keep it on the back porch in a mayonnaise jar.

Last edited by patrickt; 10-26-2016 at 11:33 AM..
Old 02-12-2010, 09:42 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

And the Certificate of Origin looks like this, but has ERA stuff on it instead of Honda.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I haven't found anything like the data plate in any boxes so far. I'm noticing several missing items that ERA is tracking down so it may still arrive.

Thanks

Dan
Old 02-12-2010, 02:32 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
I haven't found anything like the data plate in any boxes so far. I'm noticing several missing items that ERA is tracking down so it may still arrive.
Start taking some pictures -- I love a good ERA build thread. And don't worry about missing parts, they'll make it good. I remember one thread where the guy kept breaking the same part a couple of times, and each time he just told Bob P. that it came in the mail that way. It all worked out happily ever after though.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Superformance w/392 stroker
Not Ranked     

Did you get two roll bars in your shipment, or just one?
Old 02-12-2010, 03:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

It's seems pretty routine to be shorted some parts when taking delivery from ERA. When my data plate didn't arrive, I just called Peter and he mailed me another. Several parts (including the seats) had to be picked up later on when I realized I didn't get them. Just call Peter and he'll make it right.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #766, FE V8, Toploader
Not Ranked     

My MSO and my ID plate were mailed to me separately and arrrived just after the kit. Everything else arrived with the original shipment on Intercity Lines.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: era 289 FIA #2112
Not Ranked     

my mso and data plate also arrived after everything else. Call Peter to make sure you get both.

m-a
Old 02-12-2010, 04:53 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default That Brings to Mind a Story...

Looking at my ID Plate, and how it says "E.R.A. --- ERA REPLICA AUTOMOBILES," I had a fella come up to me last summer at a show and ask "Is that an eee-rah?" And at first I didn't understand him, but it was soon cleared up and I told him that I usually hear it pronounced E. R. A., but "Yes, it is." But when looking at the name, I guess you can call it an eee-rah, since it has ERA right thar in the title, and maybe 25 years ago it was called that as well. Maybe it's called that now. I don't know. I don't know how they chose the name either, but I bet Jim H. does.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:05 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Extra Rollbar Accidental ???
Old 02-12-2010, 06:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Start taking some pictures -- I love a good ERA build thread. And don't worry about missing parts, they'll make it good. I remember one thread where the guy kept breaking the same part a couple of times, and each time he just told Bob P. that it came in the mail that way. It all worked out happily ever after though.
I plan to post some pictures as I progress. However, since I'm doing my own body/frame bonding and riveting I have to do some dissasembly first. That didn't scare me off - I restored an old Corvette and got real familar with bonding and riveting. Doubt it will be too interesting for awhile. I'm glad I did spring for the powdercoating - it looks really nice.

I ordered the undercar headers w/o pipes since I plan to have a custom exhaust shop a couple blocks from here rig up an undercar system. I thought I would get a complete undercar header from head flanges to collector - you know, like a header on most any car. Instead I got a box of eight, separate exhaust pipe/head flange pieces with about 9 or 10 inches of pipe each. No four pipe flange or collector. After scratching my head over that one for awhile I called ERA and they said their exhaust system supplier terms that a header - which it might be for a side pipe system. They are trying to work something out.

Now the work and fun begins.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

ERA, as in cars from another "era". The first initials of the name being also "E.R.A." a d/b/a name for International Automobile Enterprises, Inc.

Phil Gaudette, who founded the company somewhere back in the middle of the last century, had wanted to do a number of cars from the 60's including various Porsche's (904, RSK, etc.) Daytona coupe, and other Ford GT40 variants, etc. ERA had aquired much of the tooling, molds, chassis plans to do them, but sadly, (particularly from my vantage point) never got around to producing them.

Much of the stuff sat up in the rafters in the assembly shop or over in the basement of the "brown house" for decades and has been subsequently sold or disposed of. When he retired he was working on the Corvette Grand Sport and a version of the Cobra; the Ken Miles "turd".

Jim
Old 02-13-2010, 09:18 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Holden View Post
ERA, as in cars from another "era". The first initials of the name being also "E.R.A." a d/b/a name for International Automobile Enterprises, Inc.
Over the last 25 years, have you heard the cars more commonly called "eras" or "e.r.a.s?"