Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2009, 11:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     
Default Headed To ERA End Of August !!!

Well at long last, the time has finally come for me to head to ERA, as my 289 FIA bodied 'street' car build, will soon be started.

I have spent a lot of time with the ERA manual and talking with Peter, and I am ready to go.

In review ... here is what is on the drawing board so far:

- 289 FIA body
- No hood scoop, no trunk bumps and no oil cooler scoop, but with a grille!
- Solid color, no stripes or roundels, and painted something really different ... like a medium to dark shade of blue
- A 289, that really is 289 cu inches (imagine that) about 300 HP
- Torque Thrust D wheels, with black (Anthracite) spokes and a machined polished lip
- The 'under car' exhaust, but with a simple round pipe, that exits near the front of the rear tire ... kind of what was done on the '65 GT350
- Optional rear suspension ... outboard brakes
- Roll bar ... Black
- Leaning towards a wide ratio top-loader ... rear ratio TBD
- And most important for me ... all of the tricks that Peter and crew have up their sleeves to get all 6'-4" of me to fit !

Along with visiting Peter and the crew at ERA, I plan to stop by Connecticut Custom Car to discuss paint and possibly visit Danbury Competition Engines as well. I also hope to meet up with a couple of ERA owners, that I have met through Club Cobra.

I have booked a flight and will be in the New Britain area from Wednesday August 26th through Saturday morning August the 29th.

Last but not least ... If there are any Club Cobra owners that would like to get together for something to eat and some bench racing ... just send me a PM.

The best part is, my wife and kids are 100% behind the project and have been encouraging me all along the way. Looking forward to a great trip ... let the fun begin !

- Tim
Old 07-30-2009, 03:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Lightbulb Don't forget a camera

tkb289 Tim Don't forget the camera and to suck and added info from Mr. Jim Holden. He always has some small info ideas on the build. He might also know where a Westlake-Gurney motor is with webers that would look great in your car. Rick L.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #775
Not Ranked     

Congratulations on the start of your build! An exciting time is ahead for you. I'm sure that Peter will take good care of you and show you around the place. Everyone at ERA is great to work with. Take plenty of pictures so you have something to look at while waiting as your build progresses.

-Ray
Old 07-30-2009, 04:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SUPERFORMANCE w DOUG MEYER ENGINE
Not Ranked     

Very Cool!
You will have a blast with it!
Old 07-30-2009, 05:11 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkb289 View Post
I have booked a flight and will be in the New Britain area from Wednesday August 26th through Saturday morning August the 29th.
Tim, that's great -- all of us here enjoy a new ERA build. You'll get lots of car tips, but I'll give you a Bradley International Airport tip. When you walk downstairs and stand outside at the taxi stand area, the taxis won't come until you walk up to the woman in the little glassed-in booth and give her the secret word. There's no signs either -- you're just kind of expected to know that.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:12 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2100 Rio Red Wimbledon White Stripes 302 stroked to 331 Webers Richmond Road Race 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Sounds like a great build. Can't say enough about Peter, Bob, Jim, and Doug. The help has been incredible. I just started attending some local shows and received great comments about the quality of the car and the build. You won't be dissapointed!
Old 07-30-2009, 08:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for all of the advice. Along with a camera, I'll also be bringing some California grown goodies. I understand that the folks at ERA enjoy a good snack from time to time

Patrick ... thanks for the travel tip. I actually have a rental car lined up, an Alamo 'economy' car ... but I'll be sure to walk by the taxi area, just for fun.

- Tim
Old 07-30-2009, 09:37 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkb289 View Post
Patrick ... thanks for the travel tip. I actually have a rental car lined up, an Alamo 'economy' car ... but I'll be sure to walk by the taxi area, just for fun.
OK, take lots of pictures. And, if you can, find out what ERA is doing different in the last three or four years. They're constantly improving their product, but that they don't always announce the little improvements that they make.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: # 757 ERA 427 SC , 482 Al. big block
Not Ranked     

I didn`t realize that they grew sausages in California .... that`s Peter`s weakness !
Patrickt is right ... they make small changes/improvements as they go along , and EVERYONE up there is a wealth of knowledge . Those pictures you take now can be some valuable reference material later .
I had CT Custom Car do my paint ... and am very pleased with how it turned out . They are about 30 minutes from ERA in Enfield .
Welcome .... you`ll have a blast !

Bob
Old 07-30-2009, 01:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

Here is a short list of "burnt offerings" to take to PEP (Peter) guaranteed to get his attention:

Supresada, the hotter the better
Provolone, the harder the better
Stuffed hot Italian peppers with garlic in oil, the messier the better
Proscuito, the thinner the better, wrapped around almost anything
A loaf of unsliced Italian bread from Arthur's Avenue in the Bronx, the crispier the better

tofu and vegtables from CA won't do it....

Take it from one who knows our boy.

Jim
Old 07-30-2009, 06:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Holden View Post
Here is a short list of "burnt offerings" to take to PEP (Peter) guaranteed to get his attention:

A loaf of unsliced Italian bread from Arthur's Avenue in the Bronx, the crispier the better

Jim

Jim,

You do know Peter, and he does not seem like a whole grain, hay and alfalfa kind of guy ... that's for sure!

Don't know if I can match what's on the list, but was thinking of some California grown pistachios and almonds, some Ghirardelli dark chocolate, maybe a bottle or two of Napa Valley or Monterey County wine, if I can get in on the plane. I would consider a loaf of real San Francisco sourdough French bread, from Boudin's bakery right on Fisherman's wharf ... but it would probably not survive the flight without being eaten first.

Thanks for the advice !

- Tim
Old 07-30-2009, 07:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: era#671 Keith Craft Motor
Not Ranked     

Hey TKB 289,
If your here long enough to visit the Boston area about 2 hours north of CT i would be glad to meet up, heck it would give me the excuse to take the cover off the car and go for a ride with ya

Sal
Old 07-30-2009, 07:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

Hey, Tim, great to hear. Glad to see your FIA project moving forward. Uh, let me know when you need your cherry picker back...

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 07-30-2009, 09:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Holden View Post

Jim
We do have turkey, veggie and chicken-apple sausages out here too.

Man, talk about heart-attack central. Whooweee!
Old 07-31-2009, 08:47 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgianino View Post
Hey TKB 289,
If your here long enough to visit the Boston area about 2 hours north of CT i would be glad to meet up, heck it would give me the excuse to take the cover off the car and go for a ride with ya

Sal
Sal,

Sent you a PM.

- Tim
Old 07-31-2009, 11:12 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2100 Rio Red Wimbledon White Stripes 302 stroked to 331 Webers Richmond Road Race 5 speed
Not Ranked     

I lived in California for 3 years and they had no idea what Italian was. The only cold cuts you could get was Oscar Meyer packaged crap. Every one in CA is into eating healthy so they can live 6 more months in a nursing home.

I don't know what they allow you to bring on a plane any more, but a loaf of crusty Italian bread may be considered a weapon! When you land in CT find an englishing speaking cab driver that doesn't look like Osama's cousin and ask him to take you to a good Italian deli so you can stock up. Peter will be putty in your hands.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakebit View Post
I lived in California for 3 years and they had no idea what Italian was. The only cold cuts you could get was Oscar Meyer packaged crap. Every one in CA is into eating healthy so they can live 6 more months in a nursing home.

I don't know what they allow you to bring on a plane any more, but a loaf of crusty Italian bread may be considered a weapon! When you land in CT find an englishing speaking cab driver that doesn't look like Osama's cousin and ask him to take you to a good Italian deli so you can stock up. Peter will be putty in your hands.

Sankebit,

Great advice!

I'll have a rental car, so all I need to do is follow the bread crumbs and smell of Proscuito to the nearest Italian deli and stock up.

- Tim
Old 08-03-2009, 11:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

Folks:

As a public service for those of you contemplating a visit to Poppa Peter:

http://angelosmarket.com/

349 W Main St
New Britain, CT 06052-1332
(860) 223-7340

Jim

Last edited by Jim Holden; 08-03-2009 at 11:22 AM..
Old 08-03-2009, 11:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #773, 482 stroker, cross ram stack injection
Not Ranked     

What about wine... Does Peter like wine?
Old 08-03-2009, 12:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LodiWino View Post
What about wine... Does Peter like wine?
I think we've still got gifts of alcoholic beverages stowed away dating back to the '90s.

So, limit your bribes to something that burns the tongue, not pickles the mind.