Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2009, 08:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

You can change the pads on the inboard brakes (with only modest difficulty) without having to drop the rear, but changing calipers is a bear unless you drop the entire rear cage (albeit still easier than dropping an XKE rear in the Jag cage... I've done both).

Jim

Last edited by Jim Holden; 10-09-2009 at 09:05 AM..
Old 10-09-2009, 09:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Thus the term "cage fighting." He's also gone on record as saying the unsprung weight of the Jag and ERA rear are pretty much the same. I believe him on this latter point.
I would believe him too. A fine fellow, Bob P is. But it may be a matter of number manipulation. If you do it as a percentage, everything is much closer if in both cases, you add the weight of a wheel and tire into the equation. Mind you, how many Cobra owners drive over rough roads or worse, drive it hard over rough roads, so unsprng weight is probably a non-issue anyway.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:01 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Drive shaft alone.

Remove both seats, trans tunnel, and rear access panel. That alone is a LOT of bolts and screws.

Actually I WILL need to do this in the near future. I have no more adjustment on the emergency brake units. They will have to come out and be serviced.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:50 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
Drive shaft alone.

Remove both seats, trans tunnel, and rear access panel. That alone is a LOT of bolts and screws.
Outboard brakes, baby. One bolt, one finger, and you're done. You could probably even do it with your toes.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Your really starting to irrate me...

I see you have one of those "continuation" ERA's, by the way.

HA!
Old 10-09-2009, 09:56 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Your really starting to irrate me...
Well in that case I won't point out that you managed to make two grammatical errors in a span of six words.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 707, 446ci FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Well in that case I won't point out that you managed to make two grammatical errors in a span of six words.
He made no grammatical errors; he made two spelling errors. You, OTOH, could be considered to be a grammatical scofflaw by not putting a comma after "Well" in your sentence.

= Si Opus Quadratum vis, angulos praecidere noli. =
Old 10-09-2009, 10:01 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
He made no grammatical errors; he made two spelling errors. You, OTOH, could be considered to be a grammatical scofflaw by not putting a comma after "Well" in your sentence.

Well in that case I'm certainly glad that I refrained from pointing anything out in the first place.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:10 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

At least I didn't have to do the google.

irrate, similiar to peeing down my backside and telling me it's raining...
Old 10-09-2009, 10:11 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
At least I didn't have to do the google.
I am quite fond of you, Ernie.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

What a love-fest...

Pulling and reinstalling the rear suspension is kind of a pain in the ass. Getting the car up high enough to remove it is nerve-wracking, at best. I've installed mine twice, and I'd be happy to not have to do it again. I like the outboard brakes for ease of maintenance.

Okay, back to the love-fest...
DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 10-09-2009, 11:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

Actually, you don't need to get the car all that high in the air, provided you have room to drop the rear a coouple of inches and take it out sideways. A balancing act to some degree and also helpful if you have some assistance.

Jim

Last edited by Jim Holden; 10-09-2009 at 11:56 AM..
Old 10-09-2009, 11:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 707, 446ci FE
Not Ranked     

There's two ways to do any job: the way the factory or a very well-equipped shop would do it ("Just run it up on the hoist and bring those two high-lift tranny jacks over here...") and the way even the best-equipped home wrench-wrangler has to do it.

I'm sure Bob P. can have a rear suspension unit out and back in a car in the time we'd need to down a burger and fries.

= Si Opus Quadratum vis, angulos praecidere noli. =

Last edited by Gunner; 10-09-2009 at 11:58 AM..
Old 10-09-2009, 02:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argess View Post
It's quite easy.....not quite 4 bolts though. You also need to disconnect the rear brake line, emergency brake and 4 bolts from the driveshaft.

-then disconnect the left and right trailing arms from the ball sockets, then the L & R 15/16" headed, cage to chassis bolts.

Doesn't hurt to have the gas tank out of the way. It's a good time to polish it.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Eh eh, you got that right. After Bob said "four bolts" I thought, "Oh, piece of cake." So I started looking at it real close, oh yeah, you need a LIST maybe a BOOK of stuff that has to go well before the "four bolts".

Cage Fighting, sum's it up nicely.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
-then disconnect the left and right trailing arms from the ball sockets, then the L & R 15/16" headed, cage to chassis bolts.
I thought those were the 4 bolts originally mentioned. Don't start counting stuff twice, it makes the whole thing more discouraging.....LOL
Old 10-09-2009, 03:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Wow, I've got to get out more often and visit the ERA forum. Good reading. Even Jim H. is getting into the act.

BTW, if Jose does need any leg development work, I'm his man. I can offer my personal weight & circuit training services locally here where I work out. I'm actually discounting my rates now because of the economy, but come January when everyone hits the gym for a couple weeks and then gives up again, my rates will go back up.