Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Everett-Morrison Motorcars -- Speak with Julie and Brett

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 05-02-2009, 04:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison Gen IV, 427FE
Send a message via AIM to tbracker Send a message via MSN to tbracker Send a message via Yahoo to tbracker
Not Ranked     
Default Sidepipe rattle

After a long run last week my right side-pipe started rattling like a tin bucket full of scrap metal.
Any ideas what might have come loose inside or what can be done about it?
I know what the inside baffles look like but where and how is it welded together? Can it be repaired without taking the whole thing apart? Is there any warranty on these parts? I only have 7000 miles on them, they shouldn't be coming apart yet.

While I'm at it, I was thinking of quieting them down some (I know its heresy). If I have to open them anyway what could I do in that regard? Has anyone used those cones that go just behind the collector?
Don't get me wrong I like the sound and have received numerous compliments, but of 50 Cobras on the run last week mine was the loudest. I know my neighbors would appreciate it if I could dial the volume down a notch without messing with the sweet tone.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast-Ford Performance Solutions 533 BB
Not Ranked     
Default Toning it down

That depends on what you have inside for baffles... once you have it apart you'll know if the packing is gone, whether something's apart. Have you called EM to find out more if they're stock?

Dirk
Old 05-02-2009, 06:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster, 302, roller cam, Holley 650
Not Ranked     

Tbracker, I have a rattle in my left side pipe. I believe I have isolated it to the rear bracket not in the side pipe. Check to see that the bracket bolt has not loosened.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to tbracker Send a message via MSN to tbracker Send a message via Yahoo to tbracker
Not Ranked     

I know that the baffles inside look like a helix around a tube. There is no packing like fiberglass.
The side pipes hang on rubber straps so there is no metal to metal contact there.
The noise is definitely coming from the pipe itself. I was wondering if it is tack welded of there is a bead. Where and how many welds.
I'll call EM this week.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

tbracker,

I had a rattle in the driverside pipe. I had lived with it for awhile but one day I was replacing the header/exhaust manifold gasket and had the pipe off. I held it vertical and out came a small hexnut. That was it. I have no idea how or where it came from but the rattle is gone. Maybe you can get lucky and shake something out of yours. Good luck.

John
Old 05-03-2009, 05:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: '66 Shell Valley, Original "K" Code 289
Not Ranked     

I had a noise in mine and it turned out one of the tac welds had come loose inside, holding the baffle. I drilled a small hole on the back side of the pipe (baffle area) and screwed in a stainless sheetmetal screw long enough to catch the baffle. Tightened it down and took care of the problem. Wasn't my original idea, some posts about 2 years ago on here suggested it.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 347 Stroker
Not Ranked     

Rattles in side pipes can be unnerving. I bought a new set of stainless mufflers. Had welding company weld on both ends. Rattle ,Rattle, Rattle. Had pipes cut apart three time with no cause for rattle to be found. Shook, banged on, vibrated, re-welded and sure enough rattle rattle rattle. Finally went away. Best of luck to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Later I found a washer that was down in the middle of where my four exhaust header pipes connect to the collector. May have been that I still do not know. My EM does not rattle now?

Last edited by race-it; 05-03-2009 at 06:06 PM..
Old 05-04-2009, 07:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: '66 Shell Valley, Original "K" Code 289
Not Ranked     

After the fix on my baffle, I also noticed a rattle in the area where my headers inserted into the exhaust. Also from a suggestion on here I placed a metal hose clamp (4") around all four headers, tightered it down and no more rattle.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M Cobra Ford FE 427 w/ Webers 48 IDA
Not Ranked     

tbracker,

Give EM a call. If I am not mistaken they will fix that problem for free. I was having a conversation with someone from theor and they said they ran into problems with muffler making noise
Old 05-05-2009, 04:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Had the same problem. It has the helical baffle on the tube. Problem is the brackets and welds at both the front and rear end were insufficient to hold it. EM is aware this is a problem.

Brett eventually replaced the bad one. Then the other side did the same thing. By that time the ownership of the company had changed. Brett said
contact the new owner, the new owner said contact Brett. So it never got fixed.

Regardless, the stock pipes were way too loud for my taste. Contacted Stainless Specialities and ordered a set of their pipes with the Stainless Steel packing. Much better product, much better sound. Excellent service. Still loud, but tolerable.

The EM pipes are virtually straight pipes. The baffles have little effect. There is a half inch gap between the hellical baffle and the outer case, so the bafflling effect is minimal. When we took it to the track in 2008 it was one of the loudest Cobras there, especially when the 427 SO winds out to 5500 RPM

Still have a set of EM pipes in my garage, one in new condition, one needing new welds to secure the baffle. Anyone interested?

The repair of the EM pipes, if done properly, requires cutting it apart, rewelding, and polishing. A larger support needs to be used so it won't happen again.

Usually the front weld break first. Eventually the back will break as well. Then you will be able to stick your hand in the rear and actually wiggle the baffle.

Just bite the bullet and contact Stainless Specialities. . . . . .
Old 05-05-2009, 07:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the input. It is as I feared then. A big expensive mess, but it has to be done.
Apparently EM should fix them but probably won't.
I can shake the end of the baffle, so that's the problem.
The Stainless Specialties bolt right on? Even the hangar? Does the packing wear out?
I may keep the EMs, if I start racing they could be useful, unless anyone wants mine too.
I saw them being made in the Odessa FL plant and at the time thought that it didn't look like it could quite a 427FE enough. When the engine first kicked over I knew I was right. It sounds awesome but more for the track not the neighborhood. My friends who love the sound will be disappointed, but they don't have to live with the ringing.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Side pipe rattle

Do not know if you have already figured this out or not. Same thing happened to me. I cut the pipe at the rear of the baffle (where it was welded) and found the baffle (it looks like an auger bit) had broken loose from where it was welded on one end. I ended up replacing the entire baffle with a Stainless Steel glasspack I found at Summit. I wanted to tone down the sound a little. I could have just re-welded the baffle and then re-welded the tip back on.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Just an item of note, if you plan on replacing the entire sidepipe remember the E-M GEN IV car has a 93 inch wheel base. Length is important if you want it to look right. Good luck!
Old 03-04-2010, 06:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

The inside and outside have different rates of expansion. I have seen some break on the inside because of this. Stainless specialties have a nice product and I have used quite a few Classic Chambered (steel) mufflers in Cobra sidepipes. If the pipes are set up on a fixture to keep the front and back parts in line and the mounts in the correct place the muffler can be cut out and a new one welded in. It is really easy to do on the car. The mufflers are short money it's the replacement job that costs a few hours. There are quite a few different options on inside diameters, direction of louvres and with or without packing. Check out the websites of the two mentioned and let us know if we can help with any product advice.