Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Factory Five Racing

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2011, 12:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Getting VIN Tag from Factory Five

I am kind of worried about being stopped by an officer and he not being able to tell if the car belongs to me.

So I called up factory five and asked them about sending me a VIN #

Here is the snag.......I have no problem with them entering the VIN # on the tag. However, since the title to my car says it is a 1965 shouldn't I have 1965 on the tag instead of 2001 the year in which I bought the kit?

If at all possible I would like for it to say 1965 since I will be bringing it up to New York soon.

I am currently in SC and they are so much easier to deal with than NY.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:49 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymathboy View Post
I am kind of worried about being stopped by an officer and he not being able to tell if the car belongs to me.

So I called up factory five and asked them about sending me a VIN #

Here is the snag.......I have no problem with them entering the VIN # on the tag. However, since the title to my car says it is a 1965 shouldn't I have 1965 on the tag instead of 2001 the year in which I bought the kit?

If at all possible I would like for it to say 1965 since I will be bringing it up to New York soon.

I am currently in SC and they are so much easier to deal with than NY.
Why would you expect the manufacturer to put the improper year on their VIN tag? If you really want a tag to say 1965 on it, it will not be from the manufacturer, instead you can go to a large car show and have any number of local vendors stamp you out a VIN to read whatever you like, you can then affix it to your firewall or frame as you please. Again you take on the responsibility of doing so, not FFR. It really is common sense......Think about it......

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 02-22-2011, 03:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Bill,

FFR is sending me a VIN tag with the VIN on it but not the year. I will check with the law to see if I need 1965 as it says on my title or 2001 the year in which my kit was made.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

I think you are getting all worked up over nothing.......
IF your car dosent have a tag on it with the vin# that
state has issued you then put one on it...you can get
the plain tags off of EBAY...stamp it yourself and put it on
the firewall or frame....if it does have a tag with the vin#
and all your worried about is what it says on the title for
what year it was built then you are at the mercy of the state
and there is nothing you can do about it...its their game you
will have to play by their rules.....
Old 02-23-2011, 09:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MKII - 460 Crate with Cobra Jet heads, 750 Quick Fuel Carb, and Edelbrock Torker II Intake port matched to heads
Not Ranked     

Don't know how it is there, but in Missouri the state issues the VIN#. FFR may simply be sending you the frame #, not your state's VIN. Also, depending on how your state handles your registration. In Missouri, the car is registered as the car it most resembles, which in our case, is a 1965 Shelby AC Cobra. So, my title says, '65 Roadster. The VIN on the title matches the VIN tag on my car placed there by Missouri State Hwy. Patrol.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five 302
Not Ranked     

In Nevada, it would be registered as an Assembed Vehicle. I have gone thru there process three times. You can have them put 65 Cobra on the Model name. But is will be registered as an Assembled Vehicle. They will go by the year you first register the car, so if you go down tomorrow, you will have a 2012 Assembled Vehicle. The smog is determined by the year of the engine. 1967 and earlier, no smog. They just changed some laws as of the first of Nov. 2011. You can now sign a form that you will only drive the car, no more than 5,000 miles per year, and excempt the smog. Hope this helps.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Mark III, Carbed Explorer 302
Not Ranked     

Is the car already registered?

If not here is a thread outlining the process in NYS and some hang ups that can occur. (I'm the original poster )

NYS Registration Process - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

PM me if you have more questions.

Pat
Proud owner of FFR1004630RD '01 Explorer 302, FRPP B-Cam, Holley S/A 670, HD T-5, Wilwood pedals, 3 link, Koni shocks, 17" Bullett wheels, Baer brakes, Classic gauges, I-Squared wiring, Jaguar Racing Green w/Sliver Stripes

Tagged and road ready in NYSas of 6-5-09 Life is GREAT!

My build log http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/cobra-build-logs/80663-my-cobra-build.html

If you live "Upstate" near Albany, NY send me a PM. Our Cobra gang is growing and looking for new members!