Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Factory Five Racing

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 10-21-2001, 03:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Polished KMP #488 / 427SC, 427 SO/482 by KC
Not Ranked     
Smile engine decision

I have just ordered a FFR and am looking into putting in a 351S w/a tremec 5 speed that is available to me. Can anyone give me some feedback on if this is a good choice? I can get them both for around $5,500.00. The engine is out of a 96 Saleen and has about 10k miles, however the pistons have had the top edge of the pistons cracking & breaking off. The engine will be rebuilt with new coated pistons. What was this caused by and should it be a red flag to not buy this engine? I was going to originally buy a 351W crate engine and put a tremec 5 speed with it. This is my first message on the cobra forum after just signing up after ordering my kit. Hopefully this will be a great source to answer the millions of questions I'll need answered as I learn as I go.
Old 10-21-2001, 06:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ultima GTR, chebby stuff
Not Ranked     
Cool

Frank,
I think $5500.00 is a little steep for a 351 and 5spd. you are going to have to rebuild. What Tremac tranny are you considering? If it is the 3550 with a 351, the driveshaft won't be long enuff to get into phase, they tend to bind up when using the 8.8 Mustang or T-Bird rearends. The solution is to go with the T-Bird IRS, which is rigidly mounted, no probs with angularity movements there. There are a ton of engine builders offering 351 packages, not just the FMS options. Go here,

www.cobraforum.com

FFR's 24/7, no opposing views welcome, be one of the family.
Later,

Greg
Old 11-14-2001, 04:28 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Cool

Franklin,

The 351W option is a nice choice, but I must agree with the other postings above, the money you quoted could be better spent elsewhere. Fords 351W/385hp crate engine is a top choice,along with a world class T5 transmission. Don't let the hype of magazine articles, or other folks who have a "the biggest is better" syndrome steer you in the wrong direction...........Instead, sit down for a weekend and think about how you plan to use the car when it is done (ie: shows, road racing, drag racing, autocrossing, etc), then post it here, and we'll try to help you along with your build..............

Sincerely,

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 11-14-2001, 06:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Franklin,
I noticed on your post that you are in Provo. I know you said you ordered you FFR but you might want to take a short drive over to Kirkham Motorsports. They are right there in Provo. But good luck with your build and have fun with the car.
Old 11-19-2001, 04:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I got a 302/345HP Ford crate motor for $3k from Serrano Ford. A hundred HP over stock seems like enough to me, you should hear this baby! Haven't driven it yet, but soon. I rode in a FFR w/450HP, and on our test drive the owner spun it into the curb! To me, 450HP=too much for this light of a car, 345HP=pretty damn good! -Steve
Old 01-04-2002, 12:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR1358 (Sold)
Not Ranked     

I also have a modified 302 and it's enough cruising power for me.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Polished KMP #488 / 427SC, 427 SO/482 by KC
Not Ranked     
Smile

Hey Ryan,
Here is the slowest response in club cobra history! 8 or 9 years isn't too bad!

Finished building my FFR, drove it for a year and did some modifications. Sold it, and just finished building and polishing my Kirkham last year. It was a good year! I had always known about the Kirkhams, I just had to work my way into one.