Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-28-2009, 04:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Let's talk FE thermostats..

As discussed elsewhere here I'm currently involved in a Cobra cooling system upgrade, larger capacity radiator, a Taurus fan and a wiring harness/controls upgrade too. Up to this point I've been running Robertshaw's performance thermostats. They're marketed under Mr. Gasket, Milodon and several other performance oriented brands. I've had very poor performance with those thermostats. I have drastic temp swings, 180f to 230f. This happens even in cooler weather. I've talked to several other people who've had similar experience with the Robertshaw "cup type" performance thermostats. I'm looking for a hi-flow reliable stat that will provide enough flow to keep my aluminum 482 cool. What's everyone else running? I would also value everyone's thoughts on the subject.

Dave
Old 09-28-2009, 04:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have read that the NAPA stat for a 318-360 Mopar is: identical to the OE Ford, is cheap and works fine. I have a Purolator 180 which has also been fine.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by undy View Post
I'm looking for a hi-flow reliable stat that will provide enough flow to keep my aluminum 482 cool. What's everyone else running? I would also value everyone's thoughts on the subject. Dave
Dave, PM me your address and I'll send you one of these if you want it:

http://performanceunlimited.com/cobr...hermostat.html

I bought it when I was troubleshooting and have since defaulted back to the $6 NAPA variety with a couple 1/8" holes. Its got less than an hour of run time on it, 180*F.

Jim
Old 09-29-2009, 03:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

NAPA. -- with a 1/8" bleeder hole.
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 09-29-2009, 03:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmariachi View Post
Dave, PM me your address and I'll send you one of these if you want it:

http://performanceunlimited.com/cobr...hermostat.html

I bought it when I was troubleshooting and have since defaulted back to the $6 NAPA variety with a couple 1/8" holes. Its got less than an hour of run time on it, 180*F.

Jim

Yep, that looks like the Robertshaw performance thermostat to me, dusted off, bragged on and sold under another brand. I picked up a Stant Super Stat yesterday and the hole in the middle looks awfully small. I'm heading to Daytona Beach for 9 days tomorrow so I've got some time to mull over this t-stat mess some more. I'm just concerned with creating a coolant bottle neck after spending time and money trying to increase flow and heat rejection.

Dave
Old 09-29-2009, 06:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M Cobra Ford FE 427 w/ Webers 48 IDA
Not Ranked     

I have a question?

Why do you drill a 1/8 hole if you the water pump has a bypass hose connected to the intake? I understand if you dont have the hose connected why doing so, but why both.

I am running a 180 thermo with the bypass connected and my temp are great. Motor warm up, goes to 190 and stays there in traffic with a single fan. Once I get to an open area and cruise temp drop to 170 - 180 and oil temp max 210
Old 09-29-2009, 06:34 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by priobe View Post
Why do you drill a 1/8 hole if you the water pump has a bypass hose connected to the intake? I understand if you dont have the hose connected why doing so, but why both.
It lets a little water through the hole to spray on the back of the thermostat to give a more uniform heat-up so it opens better. It also allows air pockets to purge through.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by priobe View Post
I am running a 180 thermo with the bypass connected and my temp are great. Motor warm up, goes to 190 and stays there in traffic with a single fan. Once I get to an open area and cruise temp drop to 170 - 180 and oil temp max 210
I get the same figures (no oil cooler), and with a Napa thermostat. Not sure, but it may have been a Gates brand.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: # 757 ERA 427 SC , 482 Al. big block
Not Ranked     

I can`t find the thread , but there was an answer from Rick Lake where he explained what to do to the Chrysler ( ? ) thermostat and compared the size difference ( flow area ) between it and the others . You might try contacting Rick on this as he says this is what solved his problems .

Bob
Old 09-29-2009, 07:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
I can`t find the thread , but there was an answer from Rick Lake where he explained what to do to the Chrysler ( ? ) thermostat and compared the size difference ( flow area ) between it and the others . You might try contacting Rick on this as he says this is what solved his problems .

Bob

I read Rick's posts on the subject and got the thermostat he specified. The hole diameter is the same as the others, so no help there. I'd also talked on the phone with Rick concerning that issue.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
It also allows air pockets to purge through.
...and steam pockets too. It allows a bit of inceased cooling flow across the t-stats sensing bulb, allowing it to react sooner.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm sure you know what you're doing, but I admit to making the mistake of once putting in a thermostat the wrong way. You can get more temp extremes that way.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Undy ... the only time I`ve seen the fluctuations you talk about was when I first filled my system and didn`t have all the air out ... but you`ve eliminated that as an issue .
For comparison , I`m running a 482 built by Robert Ponds , and other than carbs , it seems close to yours . The big difference I see is that Robert blocked the water pump bypass and plugged the inlet on the manifold . I called and questioned that ... and he finally told me in so many words to just run it . I also am using the March pulleys he recommended , which is a slight under drive on the water pump . Again , questioned him and he said run it , which I did .
Our summer is over , but our temps were in the upper 90 and sometimes 100 degrees . I saw 190 in town which dropped to 180 once I got moving , but no spikes . I got my thermostat already drilled from Gessford Machine .
I would be interested in what you find .... and I bet it will be one of those "why didn`t I see this before " moments .
Good luck .
Old 09-29-2009, 03:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Maybe a stupid question, but do you get these swings when running with NO thermostat?

Jim
Old 09-29-2009, 04:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmariachi View Post
Maybe a stupid question, but do you get these swings when running with NO thermostat?

Jim
You know Jim, I've never run it without a stat. Too cold can be almost as bad as too hot, especially with an aluminum motor. If I still get these temp swings with the new stat (which ever one I go with) then no stat would be the next step. Odd thing is, the cooler it got outside the higher the temp would spike. RickL experienced the same symptoms with a Mr. Gasket (Robertshaw) stat in his FE as I did. The problem went away after he replaced it with a different mfr's stat. There were also similar hits on google about the subject too. That gives me a glimmer of hope. I checked with NAPA today on the way home from work and they carry the Stant line, semi-reboxed with the NAPA logo on it. I've got some breathing room as far as time goes so I think I'll do some more research. I just wish someone else made a hi-flow stat other than Robertshaw.

Dave
Old 09-29-2009, 05:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dave .. just went out to the garage and checked . My thermostat is a Stant # 13478 , 180 degree , and it has two 1/8" holes drilled in it . Also says it is made in the USA . Maybe that`s why I haven`t had a problem .

Bob
Old 09-30-2009, 09:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
You know Jim, I've never run it without a stat. Too cold can be almost as bad as too hot, especially with an aluminum motor. If I still get these temp swings with the new stat (which ever one I go with) then no stat would be the next step. I checked with NAPA today on the way home from work and they carry the Stant line, semi-reboxed with the NAPA logo on it. Dave
I Was just thinking that by removing the t-stat altogether (not permanently) maybe it would force something else into the light, such as a flow restriction etc.

The NAPA Stant is what I am running after all the trial and error. Keep us posted...
Old 10-01-2009, 12:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bob and Jim, I'll probably go with the Stant. I'll let everyone know how it works out. Just maybe I'm make more of an issue out of this than I should?

Dave
Old 10-01-2009, 08:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Bob and Jim, I'll probably go with the Stant. I'll let everyone know how it works out. Just maybe I'm make more of an issue out of this than I should?Dave
I have $5 that says after you get that fan going, your temp range will be no more than 15 degrees above your t-stat rating.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Have you seen his RIGHT FOOT

elmariachi The size is #14 and he can't keep the thing from being matted on the floor. I will take that $5.00 bet. Side note, he is also adding more power to the car. about 250-300 HP. Rick L.