Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-21-2009, 12:00 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default Why I Run Solid Lifters

From a current thread on the FEForum. A nice comparison of hydraulic lifters versus solid lifters. Same everything for a good "heads-up" comparison. http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182...in+Components-

Last edited by patrickt; 10-31-2016 at 12:45 PM..
Old 12-21-2009, 12:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Fascinating...

Why do YOU use them? Do they help you get to restaurants faster?

Oh I forgot-they sound "cool" -and you're a real gearhead because you can adjust them.

Does your cam nose over at 5700 like the example shown?
Old 12-21-2009, 12:33 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Chas, you must be getting cabin-fever. Those are solids running on a hydraulic cam as well (just in case you were too lazy to read the referenced thread).
Old 12-21-2009, 12:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None yet!
Send a message via Yahoo to aks801
Not Ranked     

This should be good....
Old 12-21-2009, 01:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Interesting, solids on a Hyd cam. I wonder if the same results could be achieved by bottoming the lifter in it's bore? I've never done that but as I recall it could be done in some applications to simulate a solid lifter?

Oh, by the way, I run solids because there more "manly".
Old 12-21-2009, 02:06 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
Oh, by the way, I run solids because there more "manly".
I hadn't had an unprovoked, out-of-the-blue attack from ERAChas in quite a while. I was actually starting to miss it.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Alas-guilty as charged my learned colleague. I was so engrossed in the colorful visual aid you graciously provided that I overlooked the hard data of this penetrating analysis and it's startling revelations. My bad.

Actually, I looked in on this thread after seeing your name as author to learn I'd been dozing on the forum and missed your hurtling advance through the 10,000 post milestone. Imparting such incisive data as this is surely the reason and we must all be in your debt for this thankless chore.

I myself have been sorely remiss at spreading knowledge, culture, ERA superiority, solid lifter smugness-oh and the glorious benefits of the ERA IRS as opposed to the English trash Jag IRS -among the flock, as I have ten times fewer posts in two longer years of membership. My further bad.

Yours is certainly a ringing endorsement of the hard lifter- an example for all the squishy tappet plebes present to follow with haste. Indeed, your words (and pretty graphs) carry far more weight than if Keith, Jack or Barry theirownselves made such a proclamation as you have boldly done. You graciously provide such hardcore data after conducting pull after deafening pull, pass after violent pass and lap after grueling lap and then laboriously document the results.

Surely I will petition Ron to create yet a newer, more significant icon to go next to your loving cup, star and camera-The Gold Solid Lifter. This will alert one and all of your superior credentials on this forum as knower-of-all-things and chief arbiter of mechanical good taste.

P.S. I realize that some of these spurious postings are to offset the melancholy of watching your beloved 'Skins in another nationally-televised debacle. Reverting to your keyboard is soothing therapy...
Old 12-21-2009, 02:33 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
P.S. I realize that some of these spurious postings are to offset the melancholy of watching your beloved 'Skins in another nationally-televised debacle.
Patrick, ya gotta admit THAT was funny!!
Old 12-21-2009, 02:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Waiting to Order a BDR, engine to be a SA C408. TKO to hook it up.
Not Ranked     

almost as painful as watching the Saints .......

So Steve ...... Reg. out of beer yet ?
Old 12-21-2009, 02:40 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovehamr View Post
Patrick, ya gotta admit THAT was funny!!
Yes, that's true. It's actually painful to watch them. You want them to win so badly, and they just can't. They're really, really bad. Well, maybe they can spoil New York's evening later tonight... but I wouldn't bet on it. Hopefully Ol' Saint Nick will put something special under under the Chas Family Tree this year. Something that would perk him up a bit -- he kind of reminds me of Mr. Wilson that lived next to Dennis the Menace.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:56 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug I View Post
So Steve ...... Reg. out of beer yet ?
Just spoke with him today. I guess I'll go over and update my thread.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:33 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Steve, your "Chris_Jerry" shot came up on my random Cobra shots on the forum's Home Page. Absolutely Classic.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Yes, that's true. It's actually painful to watch them. You want them to win so badly, and they just can't. They're really, really bad. Well, maybe they can spoil New York's evening later tonight... but I wouldn't bet on it. Hopefully Ol' Saint Nick will put something special under under the Chas Family Tree this year. Something that would perk him up a bit -- he kind of reminds me of Mr. Wilson that lived next to Dennis the Menace.
Awww, c'mon Pat-just lobbing a few "playful grenades"-like you like to do! Only you're better at it...At least we're not hi-jacking someone elses informative thread! And how about that gold solid lifter icon? You'd like that wouldn't you?

Actually, I think of myself as Mr. Dithers to your Dagwood Bumstead.

I did peek under the tree-I think she got me an electric chair this year!
Old 12-21-2009, 03:47 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
And how about that gold solid lifter icon? You'd like that wouldn't you?
Yes, that would be very nice. Actually I was starting to worry that you were under the weather or something. I figured you would have come out on my Jim Holden Literary Quiz thread, or when I was quoting old Broadway Show Tunes, etc.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Apparently I missed a lot while suffering several bouts of narcolepsy. Surely Jim is a man of Letters and you and he engaged in satisfying intellectual intercourse.

Uh-do we have a new forum called "Broadway Show Tunes"?

Wow- bad a$$ solid lifters and Literary Quizzes-you da Man!
Old 12-21-2009, 04:30 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Apparently I missed a lot while suffering several bouts of narcolepsy. Surely Jim is a man of Letters and you and he engaged in satisfying intellectual intercourse.

Uh-do we have a new forum called "Broadway Show Tunes"?
This was the literary quiz thread: FE alternator mount

And if you can name the Broadway Show Tune that this verse came from you win a prize. Era/spf/csx
Old 12-21-2009, 04:35 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Steve, your "Chris_Jerry" shot came up on my random Cobra shots on the forum's Home Page. Absolutely Classic.
Thanks man. Jerry has been gone for 6 years now and Chris is now 6'2". Jerry was a great dog. Rescued from a puppy mill, the owner was going to have her put to sleep because she had demodectic mange (I hate the AKC.) Turned out to be the best dog that I ever owned, a perfect blend of intelligence and protective instinct. When you look at that pic you just know that the little boy had nothing to worry about as long as she was around. It's sad that our best friends leave this world so early.

Sorry for the thread hijack; Steve
Old 12-21-2009, 05:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovehamr View Post
Sorry for the thread hijack; Steve
Not to worry Steve!- it's only one of Pat's chest-beating threads! He also hijacks his own threads.

Notice? Only Ernie actually wrote about lifters. Keith and Barry are obviously at a loss for words and are furiously copying down data that Pat has presented...
Old 12-21-2009, 05:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Whew!!!! That was an excellent post Chas. I really enjoyed seeing some "high brow" intellectualism for a change. Bravo, BRAVO!!
Old 12-21-2009, 05:33 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
Whew!!!! That was an excellent post Chas. I really enjoyed seeing some "high brow" intellectualism for a change. Bravo, BRAVO!!
I think it was the Show Tunes thing that pushed Chas. over the edge.