Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 04-05-2010, 03:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     
Default Anyone using Blue Thunder heads & Intakes ?

Anyone using Blue Thunder heads and maybe his intakes ?
I can't find much information here in my searching.

What I have found, is his intakes (not clear with which type) are supposed to be around 360-400 cfm on the bench.

Likes Harland Sharpe and T & D.
Oiled (hollow) push rods.
Uses time sert's and not helicoils in threads. (I agree)
Up to 850 !..... spring pressure. (ah,.....I don't know about that) lol
38-40 deg. timing.

Need more owners of these products for your thoughts, machining and detailed information please.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MKII - 460 Crate with Cobra Jet heads, 750 Quick Fuel Carb, and Edelbrock Torker II Intake port matched to heads
Not Ranked     

Not a lot of info here. You can find quite a bit at the other Co$ra forum. I'm very interested in adding this to my engine, so will follow this thread for feedback. I'm limited on deck height to fit it under the hood.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush,B2 Windsor 445
Not Ranked     

See the post on (44yr old cobra wins...)In it Cobra #3170 says he uses Blue Thunder raised port ..

I'll give you the short version, engine is Shelby FE block, Blue Thunder raised port heads (it only needs 29 D. advance at peak power), MSD, Carrillo rods, Victor jr. manifold- highly modified, Ti Valves, 14.7 to 1, 1650 cfm Throttle body, seq. EFI really big roller cam, peak power 7600 peak torque 5500, headers are 2 1/8 primary 3.5 collectors. This engine has a Daley dry sump and Stefs tank and never leaks oil as long as it is running (13" of vacuum) CID = 498 with a Moldex billet crank. Engine by Kinetics in Michigan
Old 04-06-2010, 04:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

I have the Blue Thunder intake on my 427 and to be honest I am not as happy with it as I was my medium riser. I wish I had my old intake back.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 04-06-2010, 06:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: # 757 ERA 427 SC , 482 Al. big block
Not Ranked     

Clois ... my experience is just the opposite of yours . On my 427 Galaxie , I went with the BT dual quad to fit the 428 CJ heads and picked up throughout the whole rpm range . Maybe because the Galaxie weighs 4100 lbs or I don`t have as big a cam as you ??
FF2 ... if you use the BT heads , it will raise the exhaust ports up and then you will have to rework your primaries/sidepipes to get them to fit the body .
Old 04-06-2010, 10:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Your kidding ?
Is the situation with his F.E. large. bore High Riser O.E. Cyl. Head, or just the high raiser's ? Maybe it's just the tunnel port ?
Old 04-06-2010, 01:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: # 757 ERA 427 SC , 482 Al. big block
Not Ranked     

Kevin ... you might want to check with BT or someone who sells them , but when I was doing research for my build , I wanted to use the BT heads . I asked Peter at ERA if any of his customers used those heads . He checked and said , yes , but the ports were raised approx. 1/4" to 3/8" and the headers/primaries had to be modified to fit the ERA body cutouts etc .
Again , check with someone else , but that was my experience .
Bob
Old 04-06-2010, 02:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I've tried calling BT today, but they must be out of the office.

I would think their OEM and the Edelbrock would be the same as the originals head., and the high risers being the taller ones. I hope....anyway.

With my original 428 build I used the RPM manifold, when I change to the Vic Jr. intake, I had to mill down the carb. surface, either 1/4 or 3/8". (can't recall) I really don't know if that changed the TQ too much.

So, I'm concerned and will talk it over with Al at Blue Thunder.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Smile Blue thunder heads and intake.

Phone Barry @Survival (248) 366-3309 or (248) 931-0358, he sells BT heads, manifolds.
Bought a set of MR BT heads and BT manifold from Barry he can help you with any info on BT products and other FE engine parts.
Mike.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

There are a few versions of the BT heads out there. They have the medium riser and the high riser versions. The high risers are a taller head altogether and BT doesn't make an intake for them. The port is just a raised version of the medium risers. Now there are two versions of the medium riser out there an early version and the current ones. also they have a 428 and a 427 valve spacing difference. surprisingly the 428 valve spacing heads flowed better. The current medium riser heads flow allot of air right out of the box and were patterned from the cnc heads that Barry used one one of his Engine Masters motors. I don't think the old version is available any longer. You can also switch to a 351c or 429/460 stud type rocker with guide plates if you like or you would need high riser rocker stands or go with a full aftermarket setup. On all of the heads the exhaust port is raised about 3/8 of an inch. Blue thunder also makes a few different intakes a single four that is close to the factory CJ intakes and the factory PI intakes from results that I have seen it out performs the factory Pi intakes. They also make a copy of the factory 2x4 that I think is pretty close in performances to the originals
Old 04-07-2010, 09:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The best way for you to get info on Blue Thunder products would be to contact either BarryR or Keith Craft.

They are a small, very iconoclastic, company with more integrity than almost anyone, but Art is usually traveling around LA, and they have incredibly odd working hours...because of the heat out there.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I agree, Art is hard to get a hold of. I'm sure we'll talk soon.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Iconoclastic. I don't know if Art could even pronounce that!

Supersnake hit most of the high points on the BT heads. The current medium risers have a large cast intake port and require only chamber and valve work to be capable of over 750HP. The port is pretty big with 360cfm potential - the BT 1x4 and 2x4 intakes and the Victor can be ported to match, while the Dove or RPM will require some welding first. The head has a raised exhaust port by .400" relative to the deck surface. Headers will either fit - or can be made to fit. Nobody likes installing FE headers anyway... The BT heads have a revised rocker mounting system with eight 7/16-14 fastener holes in addition to the four traditional FE 3/8-16. To use the normal rockers you need to run high riser height rocker stands. But the best is the T&D setup which oils through the pushrods - superior to factory stuff in every possible way.

The BT high riser head is the same basic casting but with a small rectangular port cast with the roof in the factory high riser position. Pretty close resemblance to teh Dove Paquet port, but intentionally smaller and intended to be CNC ported. We've had this casting up to over 400 cfm. The only cast intakes are from Dove - a dominator flange single four with an ENOURMOUS plenum, and a tunnel wedge style 2x4 intake. Both require considerable work. Offset T&D rockers are required. These are our highest potential FE cast heads, but they are not for the timid in terms of setup and you should bring a water cooled checkbook...

"I can do that....."

Engine Masters Challenge Entries
91 octane - single 4bbl - mufflers
2008 - 429 cid FE HR - 675HP
2007 - 429 cid FE MR - 659HP
2006 - 434 cid FE MR - 678HP
2005 - 505 cid FE MR - 752HP
Old 04-08-2010, 03:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Kev, You better break-out that "water cooled checkbook" if you're going to mess with the Blue Thunder heads.

I think you better hang with us mere mortals and Mr. Ebok. We've air cooled checkbooks, prone to overheating.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #623 460/4x2
Not Ranked     

I have the blue thunder intake. I dont know what to compare it to, but I pretty pleased with it. It is a dual quad set-up. I have had the car for over 7 years now without a hiccup. There is no stumble or hesitation at all. They are matched to aluminum cobra jet heads. I'll see if I can drum up a picture.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here's a decent one.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Barry- that's some great information.
Undy- mine drowned, can I have yours ?
Blue- great looking motor. Is the intake polished or coated ?

I need to talk with Art very soon, and I hope that's today.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNFER2 View Post
Undy- mine drowned, can I have yours ?
Mines shot too, remember ... I've been down the check writing road you're heading

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNFER2 View Post
I need to talk with Art very soon, and I hope that's today.
When you get hold of him please give him the ol' single finger salute for me... the a$$ho....
Old 04-08-2010, 03:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Polished......