Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-23-2010, 02:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance aluminum427
Not Ranked     
Angry Eldebrock Heads

has anyone had trouble with the helicoils pulling out, mine did I had to have an insert put in it, it pulled out of the stand on number 1 cyclinder, an it hell getting head off in the car when it has studs.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipscobra View Post
has anyone had trouble with the helicoils pulling out, mine did I had to have an insert put in it, it pulled out of the stand on number 1 cyclinder, an it hell getting head off in the car when it has studs.

yes and yes, also the intake threads. pull the heads and put inserts in all the threads. don't trust the edeldork locations either mine were off up to .025.
i had to skim the heads on the intake surface also to get them square to the dowel holes. what a pain, next set of heads will be blue thunder or pond.
our machine shop can fix them up for you if you don't have anyone to do it.

fred

info@origincorp.net
Old 06-23-2010, 05:27 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

One of my VC holes wasn't even drilled. Then I had a stainless bolt gall while test fitting the bolt with my fingers, wound up breaking it off and having to drill it.

Steve
Old 06-23-2010, 05:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

broken.......oh hi there breasts...........oh yeah the post....

now i forgot what i was going to say......hehehe
Old 06-23-2010, 08:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance aluminum427
Not Ranked     
Default Eldebrock Heads

I called Eldebroke an they acted like it never happens to there heads. I have it fixed already thanks, will buy Blue Thunder or something else if I have anymore trouble, I knew I was not the only one with this problem.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

yep, sounds like them, when i told them i had a problem, their heads were out of square i was told thats impossible because we are edelbrock. i knew then i was done. they can suck on the gas pipe....
now the blue thunder manifold i bought is flawless....i will buy their products without thinking twice.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:47 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2592, Shelby alum. 527
Not Ranked     

Something to remember is the flange on an aluminum intake is thicker than a stock cast iron manifold, and the threaded holes in the Edelbrock heads are deeper than stock cast iron heads. If you use a standard intake manifold bolt kit, such as from ARP, they are intended for the stock installtion. You will have minimal thread engagement into the heads. In other words, the bolts are too short.

With the manifold installed, measure the depth of the hole to the bottom of the threads. Then buy 3/8-16 bolts that are the correct length. I had to buy some that were too long and cut them to the proper length to get full thread engagement. Be extremely careful to not make the bolts too long and bottom out the bolts.

Some builders use studs (screwed into the heads after the intake is set in place) and nuts to make sure all available threads in the head are used.

Rodger
Old 06-24-2010, 07:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Funny that you mostly hear positive things about Edelbrock on this forum and that they are nearly as good as Blue Thunder, just cost more, etc.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 06-24-2010, 08:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

roger, the blue thunder intake is cast just as the factory ford. i am currently using factory ford intake bolts. this gives over .750 of thread engagement. according to my calibrated 3/8-16 2B thread gauge that we use in manufacturing at my facility, the edelbrock intake threads were non-conforming and the no-go gauge screwed all the way in on more than 3 places. this would fail quality control at my shop. but in mexico maybe not....

note the blue thunder head has thread inserts already installed in the intake holes
Old 06-24-2010, 11:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWB View Post
yep, sounds like them, when i told them i had a problem, their heads were out of square i was told thats impossible because we are edelbrock. i knew then i was done. they can suck on the gas pipe....
now the blue thunder manifold i bought is flawless....i will buy their products without thinking twice.
Don't be too sure on the Blue Blunder stuff. I got one of their 427 MR 1x4 manifolds (brand new) and the dizzy hole was drilled 1/4" out, not 0.050" but 0.250"! Art was a real A-Hole about it and did the same as Ebok, swore it wasn't his manifold 'cause Blue Blunder stuff is never F'd up... I would have to say, for the FE stuff, Ebok is the BEST bet (generally).
Old 06-24-2010, 11:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Undy,
honestly that is the first time i ever heard of a blue thunder manifold problem.
where did you buy it? if from a dealer i can't imagine they didn't stand behind it. with my edeldork debacle the dealer i bought from did step up to the plate and paid for the repair and offered to replace at no charge. i opted for the repair, as i was the one doing it and felt more in control.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWB View Post
Undy,
honestly that is the first time i ever heard of a blue thunder manifold problem.
where did you buy it? if from a dealer i can't imagine they didn't stand behind it. with my edeldork debacle the dealer i bought from did step up to the plate and paid for the repair and offered to replace at no charge. i opted for the repair, as i was the one doing it and felt more in control.
At the time there were quite a few instances of Blue Thunder quality problems. I bought it from Dennis Carrico w/ DSC. He was a bigger jerk than Art was. Nobody wanted to back squat and I ended up paying to have it fixed myself. I talked about it over on FordFE and was thrown under the bus several times by board member. The whole mess almost soured me for good on FEs.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

i never had the pleasure or lack of, dealing with dsc, their proximity to me wasn't good for shipping stuff. sometimes the posting at the FE forum can be less than open minded.(and i'm trying to be nice) . i would imagine any manufacturer has had their fair share of quality problems, its the repeated ones and the failure to make good on them separates the good from the bad.
i must say a distributor hole that far off would get my panties in a real bunch.
i'm a get it done kinda guy and if i was close to a dealer that did that to me i might show an all new mounting method for a FE manifold.
Old 07-03-2010, 04:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

Other than having to play shimmy shimmy cocopuff with my roller rockers and shafts as edelstock moved their valve locations without any documentation stating so, I have no complaints .
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 07-04-2010, 11:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 brushed aluminum with Keith Craft 527C.I. all aluminum FE
Not Ranked     

I have had very few problems with the edelbrock heads but you will see problems with any of this stuff. I have done about 200 set of Edelbrock heads for engine builds and out the door and have not heard about this but maybe a couple of times. We have not had this problem on any we have built in house.
I can tell you that if you buy enough of this stuff whether it is from Edelbrock or Blue Thunder you will have problems. This is the great thing about engine building and using new parts as well as using used parts. Have to deal with it every day.

Good luck, Keith Craft