Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2010, 12:55 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default ERAChas - A Simple Coolant Math Problem

Chas, RodKnock's engine is now two years old and he knows he needs to change the coolant but doesn't want to hassle with burping the notorious FE air pocket that always develops, flushing the the heater core, etc. so he came up with a wonderful "simple" method for changing the coolant the "EZ way." Rod is going to simply open the petcock at the bottom of the radiator and drain one gallon of old coolant in to a catch basin while simultaneously filling his surge tank with one gallon of new coolant so that it is always full and no air gets in to the system. Just one gallon, mind you; no more. He will then take the car for a ride to thoroughly circulate the coolant, let the car cool, then drain another gallon of old coolant out while simultaneously replacing it with a new gallon. But Rod is smart, he realizes that his system holds four gallons and that while the first drain and fill replaced 25% of that old coolant with new coolant, the second drain actually had one quarter of a gallon of new coolant in it, so he was really only replacing three quarters of a gallon of old coolant. After two "drain and fills" he now has a system with two and one quarter gallons old coolant and one and three quarters new coolant. Rod says he will be happy if he can replace 90% of his old coolant with new coolant. How many times will he have to repeat his "drain one gallon while adding one gallon and then drive" task in order to achieve his goal of a 90% coolant change? Show your work for full credit.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Four gallons = 512 ounces of liquid. If he wants to change out at least 90% of the old fluid, he can allow 10%, or 51.2 oz of old fluid left in the system. Each time he changes 1/4 of the fluid he leaves 3/4 (75% or 0.75) of whatever is in it. If he did this routine 8 times, he would have 512 x 0.75^8 of old fluid. 0.75^8 = 0.1001, roughly 10%, so 512 x 0.75^8 = 51.2578 oz, slightly more than 10% old fluid. Therefore he has to do this change 9 times to have 10% or less of the old fluid (he would have 7.51% old fluid and 92.49% fresh fluid, or 473.5566 oz of fresh fluid and 38.4434 oz of old fluid.

Why did I just do that?
Old 07-02-2010, 01:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

He's walking halfway to the wall. BTW - the answer is 8 times.

Bob

Last edited by Bob In Ct; 07-02-2010 at 06:53 PM..
Old 07-02-2010, 01:32 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr0077 View Post
Each time he changes 1/4 of the fluid he leaves 3/4 (75% or 0.75) of whatever is in it.
The ratio of good to bad coolant changes on each iteration. It is not a 1/4 to 3/4 constant.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

The problem is specious. The fluid in the coolant system was changed March 2009 at the same time a coolant recovery tank was added.

Heater core? Puh-leeze. I didn't mark PS, AC, PW, PB, PDL and convertible top on the option sheet either.

And no. I don't have cupholders either.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:47 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
The problem is specious.
True, but only because Chas will not be able to figure it out.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

BTW, no traditional coolant either. A little bottle of Water Wetter and Pencool and the rest is distilled water.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
True, but only because Chas will not be able to figure it out.
Nooooooo...because Chas will not be stupid enough to dignify child games with a reply as poor Ken realized he had done.

Pat-did you get bounced off the Harry Potter Forum? Ran out of broken parts to flood us with macro digital full-color close ups? Slow night over on FE?

Well Rod, our precocious child is at it again. This is why he has 11,059 posts (ELEVEN THOUSAND FIFTY-NINE). I wish Keith, Barry, George, Clayton, Acton, Tom, Kincade and Mike had 11,000-(they don't have that many combined). We would all learn far more about our cars and motors and not Readers Digest popcorn games.

What's next to entertain we children Mr. Wizard-find the rabbit in the maze pictures?

A valuable help to any hands-on guys is this tip: block drains. Put brass petcocks in place of the block drain plugs, attach tubing to reach into your drain pan. When changing, drain from the lower rad hose, and both petcocks. You get a complete purge that way and refill through the temp sensor boss on the intake.

Now that's something people can use.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:53 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
Nooooooo...because Chas will not be stupid enough to dignify child games with a reply as poor Ken realized he had done.
Actually he did a very nice job. When I ran the numbers, 8 changes would get you an 89.99% coolant change... but, that ain't 90%, so he is technically correct.

Quote:
Put brass petcocks in place of the block drain plugs, attach tubing to reach into your drain pan. When changing, drain from the lower rad hose, and both petcocks. You get a complete purge that way and refill through the temp sensor boss on the intake.
Uhhh, I would rather just change a gallon out after eight drives.

Last edited by patrickt; 11-02-2016 at 11:56 AM..
Old 07-02-2010, 06:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Don't make me break out the differential calculus on you Patrick.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:23 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It's really an interesting question. When you open the petcock on, say, an ERA, it is on the lower driver's side of the radiator. The upper radiator hose goes to the top driver's side of the radiator, lower radiator to the bottom passenger side. If there are three or four holes drilled in the thermostat, will the fluid coming out the petcock be equal amounts from both the radiator and the block?
Old 07-02-2010, 06:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Uhhh, I would rather just change a gallon out after eight drives.
For a guy that loves to brag about his he-man solid lifter noise, you're some pu$$y when it comes to doing actual WORK.

Surprised a cam that small can actually make noise. Get a free matching dress with that cam?
Old 07-02-2010, 06:28 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Surprised a cam that small can actually make noise. Get a free matching dress with that cam?
No, but I got a POS dampNer.

Blykins, will the coolant level in the block and the coolant level in the radiator decline at an equal rate when the petcock is opened? I never took a fluid dynamics class....
Old 07-02-2010, 07:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Now that's funny.

But it's the "K" cam. Or was it the "R" cam? "B" cam? Eh doesn't matter.

To be honest with you, if I were doing it, then I would have to "wear the dress" and take 8 drives.

Last edited by RodKnock; 07-02-2010 at 07:06 PM..
Old 07-02-2010, 07:03 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Now that's funny.

But it's the "K" cam. Or was it the "R" cam? "B" cam? Eh doesn't matter.

To be honest with you, if I were doing it, then I would have to wear the dress and take 8 drives.
It's the "K" cam, thank you very much. DCDoug has the "B" cam.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Finally, proof of the infinite monkey theorem.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:28 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ahh, the road to Hell... All I try to do is help RodKnock change his coolant and what does it get me.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmariachi View Post
Finally, proof of the infinite monkey theorem.
A perfect explanation of our 'clever' counselor...
Old 07-02-2010, 07:52 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
A perfect explanation of our 'clever' counselor...
Isn't it past your bed time?
Old 07-02-2010, 07:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Isn't it past your bed time?
NAAAAhhhh-I enjoyed watching the Mets beat the crap out of your team while I beat the crap out of you here