Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2010, 08:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Angry COMP-Cams quality.........

Well I have 130 mile on the engine (after break-in dyno) and it appears I have lost a lobe on the cam.

Fresh engine build and haven't even had the car on the road for a week and the cam breaks!

I have been hearing some bad stories about COMP Cams that I wish I heard sooner, but maybe this is just a freak acident.

As a Mechanical engineer in the manufactoring business I can't help but get upset at how we no longer make anything with quality in mind. We still charge the same price yet we take short cuts and "build to sell" rather than "Build to last"

Anyone else have issues with COMP-Cam flat tappet cams and lifters?

The pain and time it is going to take to pull the engine out and get this fixed is gonna suck; especially when I only have 4 weeks to get it done bofore the wedding. I am about ready to have it all done at a shop in order to get it done quicker and send the entire bill directly to Comp-Cams.

What is your guys experience with COMP-Cams?
Old 09-04-2010, 08:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

i hope they're good cause i'm putting a comp cams flat tappet hyd in now!!!!!!!!
Old 09-04-2010, 08:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well said. I do not know how you have one bad lobe, how could they make one bad and not all of them? Quality suks everywhere.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrison, Donovan aluminum BB
Not Ranked     

I have built my share of performance engines and have always used Comp Cams. I hope they aren't falling into that same trap as you said "build to sell not "build to last." I think they are top quality as of now but I haven't had any problems like you. You shouldn't lose a lobe that soon after by any means. I can't tell you how many issues I have had recently with workmanship across the board. It does seem that no one is taking pride in it anymore. Sad state of affairs if that is true.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
Well said. I do not know how you have one bad lobe, how could they make one bad and not all of them? Quality suks everywhere.
I haven't pulled it yet to confirm, but the rocker had about a 1/4" of slop and the rocker nuts were not loose, therefore telling me it's on the cam end!

I had the tell tale GM rocker pop sound, telling me the intake valve was opening but the exhaust wasn't opening far enough. It was also hesitating like it was missing as I pulled it into the driveway.I can't think of anything else being wrong.....bent push rod maybe? Bad lifter?

Gonna have to tear it apart to find out.

Question is, can we get it all done in 4 weeks befor the wedding?

Last edited by dlotz; 09-04-2010 at 08:34 AM..
Old 09-04-2010, 08:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Have you talked to your builder?
Old 09-04-2010, 08:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

Did u use ZDDP additive???

________
Old 09-04-2010, 09:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM cobra, 450 inch sbc running a best ET of 9.14..so far..ALL MOTOR...approx 800 horse.............ERA with 482 FE..All Aluminum Engine
Send a message via Yahoo to Hotfingrs
Not Ranked     

I've wiped out two Comp Cams cams and several roller lifters. Comp Cams has done nothing but cost me money, and I've told my builder if he puts anything with the name Comp Cams in my engine, he can keep the engine. Pure crap as far as I'm concerned.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

With Crane out of business, who is left besides Lunati ???

________
Old 09-04-2010, 09:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Isky!!!!!!!

BTW Crane is back......they were purchased by S&S Cycles.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way

Last edited by Rick Parker; 09-06-2010 at 10:22 PM..
Old 09-04-2010, 09:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

CC has worked well for me, but most of my stuff is 5-6 years old. A lot of cam vendors went through a bad spell 3-4 years ago when a batch of bad chinese steel made it into the system. Not saying that is your problem, but it has happened before.

There is a special break in procedure for flat tappet solid lifters. Did you and your builder follow it?
Old 09-04-2010, 10:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

No problems with my flat tappet Comp Cam I put in several years ago. I did take extraordinary measures to break it in. As I recall the first 20 minutes after the first start up determine whether a flat tappet cam will live or die, you usually find out in the near future following that.

I'm wondering what steps were taken during the dyno break in to assure a long life? Removal of the inner springs? Break in rocker arms? Holding the rpm at or above 2,000 rpm for those first 20 minutes? If it went straight to the dyno without any special mechanical attention to break in, there's the problem! For an engine builder, doing any of the above is a real pita, it takes up a lot of time and eats directly into the profit margin. That is why so many builders won't even offer a flat tappet anymore, just to much hassle and risk if you don't get it right.

Hotfingers, roller lifters don't generally require any special mechanical attention for break in. Wierd you had a run of bad luck, I don't know what to make of it. Some years ago ALL the cam manufacturers were having problems with flat tappets, which was eventually traced, primarily, to the changes in oil available. That remains an issue, but of far less concern with the roller lifters, then or now,,, strange. Another factor, then and it remains an issue, is low quality lifters, perhaps made in China sort of thing. A large number of cam failures, some years ago, were a direct result of readily available cheap and inferior lifters.

Last edited by Excaliber; 09-04-2010 at 10:52 AM..
Old 09-04-2010, 10:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Lunati = I have pictures of a Lunati cam never installed make your head Then it only took 5 weeks to get my money back the whole time their genusis telling me to install. Finally they tried to grind the cracks out , wtf, there is no hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraEd View Post
With Crane out of business, who is left besides Lunati ???

Old 09-04-2010, 10:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

1/4" that is alot. Remove your valve covers, build dams out of aluminium foil to direct oil back into the head and start your engine. If you dont rev you will be surprised very little oil will escape and the aluminium foil is very formable it that is a word. You can watch all your rockers at once, readjust the loose one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlotz View Post
I haven't pulled it yet to confirm, but the rocker had about a 1/4" of slop and the rocker nuts were not loose, therefore telling me it's on the cam end!

I had the tell tale GM rocker pop sound, telling me the intake valve was opening but the exhaust wasn't opening far enough. It was also hesitating like it was missing as I pulled it into the driveway.I can't think of anything else being wrong.....bent push rod maybe? Bad lifter?

Gonna have to tear it apart to find out.

Question is, can we get it all done in 4 weeks befor the wedding?
Old 09-04-2010, 11:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

In general, there's nothing wrong with Comp products. Every manufacturer will have a small percentage of parts that will be defective or not up to snuff...that's just the law of tolerances and averages.

It's weird that only one lobe failed. Makes me think that the lifter in that bore wasn't spinning freely.

Again, this is the reason why I advise my customers to go with roller camshafts. If it is a cam failure and you add up the money now associated with disassembly, cleaning, replacing parts, etc., you could have went roller a lot cheaper.

Before you get too involved though, I would take a look and make sure it isn't something simple like an adjuster backing off, etc.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Pull your oil filter and cut it open. If a lobe went away there'll be a ton of flakes in the pleats. I share the same feeling as Brent, with today's lubricants and lack of additives it's a hydraulic roller for me.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
No problems with my flat tappet Comp Cam I put in several years ago. I did take extraordinary measures to break it in. As I recall the first 20 minutes after the first start up determine whether a flat tappet cam will live or die, you usually find out in the near future following that.

I'm wondering what steps were taken during the dyno break in to assure a long life? Removal of the inner springs? Break in rocker arms? Holding the rpm at or above 2,000 rpm for those first 20 minutes? If it went straight to the dyno without any special mechanical attention to break in, there's the problem! For an engine builder, doing any of the above is a real pita, it takes up a lot of time and eats directly into the profit margin. That is why so many builders won't even offer a flat tappet anymore, just to much hassle and risk if you don't get it right.

Hotfingers, roller lifters don't generally require any special mechanical attention for break in. Wierd you had a run of bad luck, I don't know what to make of it. Some years ago ALL the cam manufacturers were having problems with flat tappets, which was eventually traced, primarily, to the changes in oil available. That remains an issue, but of far less concern with the roller lifters, then or now,,, strange. Another factor, then and it remains an issue, is low quality lifters, perhaps made in China sort of thing. A large number of cam failures, some years ago, were a direct result of readily available cheap and inferior lifters.

Barry did everything to correctly break in the cam at the dyno, I was there. We used the BP break in oil and additive, we had the inner springs off, warmed it up for a good 30 minutes. Then we shut down, added the inner springs, checked/adjusted the valve lash and started again checked timing, adjusted carbs and then stated the pulls. Barry has been doing this for years and knows his stuff.

Funny thing is that the paperwork that came from the cam has a disclaimer blaming oil for flat tappet cams breaking. I sure hope this wasn't an old cam they just pulled off the shelf somewhere that was from that era. The lifters and cam came as a set so if either are junk then they are both CompCam parts.... and still under warranty!

We checked the rocker and adjuster and they are NOT loose which tells me the slop is on the cam side. Could it be anything else I can check before we pull the engine?

I am still under warranty, but as mentioned the time and labor is the pain. Especially when we were supposed to unveil it at the family reunion tomorrow! Like they say, it happens

Last edited by dlotz; 09-04-2010 at 02:52 PM..
Old 09-04-2010, 12:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Do you have a mag base and dial indicator there?

You can check lift at the valve compared to the others...this would tell you 100% for sure if a lobe is gone.

Otherwise, I would go ahead and pull the intake and take a look around.

Make sure when the engine comes out that you check some bearings. If a lobe is gone, that much metal pumping through an engine will wreak havoc on the oil pump/bearings.

You're in good hands with Barry...and this only goes to show that a cam can go out even with an experienced engine builder. And it shows why I don't use flat tappet cams.

Last edited by blykins; 09-04-2010 at 12:19 PM..
Old 09-04-2010, 12:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotfingrs View Post
I've wiped out two Comp Cams cams and several roller lifters. Comp Cams has done nothing but cost me money, and I've told my builder if he puts anything with the name Comp Cams in my engine, he can keep the engine. Pure crap as far as I'm concerned.
Your problem could be because you are running a French engine !

________
Old 09-04-2010, 01:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I feel everyone pain in this one, once again it must be a love of labor that people build engines as a career. Surprising it would run as long as it did and then all the sudden have an issue.