Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-26-2010, 07:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default DO I have something hooked up wrong? (video attached)

Here is the set up:
1965 427 Side oiler (.007 bore)
Iron MR OEM Heads
Blue thunder NR intake
Dual BC/BD Holleys
Surge tank
180 degree thermo (drilled burp hole in top of thermostat)
Kirkham oil breather canister
Pent roof valve covers (no breathers)
comp flat tappet cam
Avaid oil pan
Brad Penn oil (still has break in oil in it).

Ok, so I have A LOT of (what looks like) steam pouring out of my oil fill neck, dip stick tube and oil vapor canister once the engine warms up as you can see in the video. I understand the vapor pouring out the top of the oil vapor canister, but wondering if that is an excessive ammount? I have never seen vapor come out of a dip stick tube or the oil filler neck.

For you guys that are running a similar set up as I am (traditional/vintage cobra) is this normal?

This is a fresh rebuild with all new/restored parts. We think it might be a pin hole somewhere in the block, but cannot locate it without a complete tear down, and might not find it at all. It does not show up cold (during initial psi test) only after the block warms up. My builder has not seen the engine in my chassis (complete set up) only on his dyno so I am wondering if I have something set up incorrectly causing improper venting or excessive steam being trapped?

I only have 138 miles on the car and the inside of my oil vapor canister is rusting like crazy already which makes me think something is wrong/excessive.

Your thoughts?

Old 09-26-2010, 07:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Ouch. How does the oil look?
Old 09-26-2010, 07:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmariachi View Post
Ouch. How does the oil look?
Oil is fine! Not milky at all. It doesn't appear to be getting into the oil.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance aluminum427
Not Ranked     
Default Steam

Pull your vave covers after it has warmed up see it they are milky ao look like clabber, if they are definetly something wrong, is your water level staying up,might be intake leaking.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipscobra View Post
Pull your vave covers after it has warmed up see it they are milky ao look like clabber, if they are definetly something wrong, is your water level staying up,might be intake leaking.
We've checked the gaskets and no signs of a leak which makes us think it is a pin hole somewhere.

Block was pressure teated and nothing showed when it was cold.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipscobra View Post
clabber???
Old 09-27-2010, 12:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Pressurize the cooling system, you've got moisture in your oil from somewhere.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 09-27-2010, 03:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Since RickL ain't here, I take over his verbose commentary for him:

Been there, done that. (coolant leak wise...)

Your heads would be more prone to a pin hole leak, more so than the block. As Rick P said, do an initial pressure test with the valve covers off to see if you've any tell tale internal drips. With the system pressurized, look down into the pushrod holes with a pen light to see if anything's detectable. Check as many of the head bolts' torque as possible while you're there. Your next step would be to pull the intake. Be careful when pulling the intake. You want to preserve the intake gasket as much as possible for inspection. Take a close look at both gaskets for signs of leakage/undue deformation and a uniform crush by the intake. If nothing makes itself known then I'd pull the heads. Take a look at the head gaskets, especially around all the water ports. Again, if nothing stands out then I'd send out the intake and heads for a pressure test. It that proves nothing then you can pressure test the block in place, right side, left side, individually.

It sounds like you're getting a relatively small quantity of coolant in you oil, like I did. It wasn't enough to make the oil milky, just enough to produce vapors and rust things up. You should still have had enough run time to build a bit of a milkshake in the valve covers though. take a look at them.

let us know as your troubleshooting progresses.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 Cobra
Not Ranked     

Did you check the torque on the intake bolts. I've had intakes leak after a rebuild until it was retorqued, then it was fine.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by undy View Post
Since RickL ain't here, I take over his verbose commentary for him:

Been there, done that. (coolant leak wise...)

Your heads would be more prone to a pin hole leak, more so than the block. As Rick P said, do an initial pressure test with the valve covers off to see if you've any tell tale internal drips. With the system pressurized, look down into the pushrod holes with a pen light to see if anything's detectable. Check as many of the head bolts' torque as possible while you're there. Your next step would be to pull the intake. Be careful when pulling the intake. You want to preserve the intake gasket as much as possible for inspection. Take a close look at both gaskets for signs of leakage/undue deformation and a uniform crush by the intake. If nothing makes itself known then I'd pull the heads. Take a look at the head gaskets, especially around all the water ports. Again, if nothing stands out then I'd send out the intake and heads for a pressure test. It that proves nothing then you can pressure test the block in place, right side, left side, individually.

It sounds like you're getting a relatively small quantity of coolant in you oil, like I did. It wasn't enough to make the oil milky, just enough to produce vapors and rust things up. You should still have had enough run time to build a bit of a milkshake in the valve covers though. take a look at them.

let us know as your troubleshooting progresses.

Oil isn't getting milky.... I will check the valve covers next time I run it. I don't have a vacuum PCV system, I just have the oil vapor canister and surge tank. No vacuum line anywhere which could be my problem.

The car does need to be moving for the oil vapor canister to be working correctly, as the air running over the road draft tube creates the vacuum.

As for the vapor in the dip stick tube, that could be coming directly from the oil return line because it is right next to the dip stick port. The oil return line comes directly from the bottom of the oil vapor canister...... I will disconnect that tonight and see if it stops the dip stick problem.....

What PCV stsyem options do I have? What are you guys using?

Last edited by dlotz; 09-27-2010 at 05:49 AM..
Old 09-27-2010, 05:38 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Dan you're using a puke tank as your PCV system. Do you have the canister filter under your breather plate at the back of the manifold? It might be breathing kinda heavy out there without it.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

what was the outside temperature when you took the video? lol
Old 09-27-2010, 05:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmate View Post
Dan you're using a puke tank as your PCV system. Do you have the canister filter under your breather plate at the back of the manifold? It might be breathing kinda heavy out there without it.
Nick

There is a wire mesh canister under the breather plate in the back of the intake.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector1 View Post
what was the outside temperature when you took the video? lol
It was in the mid sixties when I took the video yesterday
Old 09-27-2010, 06:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coombe, Shelby Block 496
Not Ranked     

I had the same set up on a build that did the same thing yours is doing may be not quite as much but any how I would try this, remove the feed tube to the puke tank and cap the fitting at the manifold. Also block the drain back to oil pan from the puke tank so basically bypass the puke tank all together. Now make sure your filler cap is a good vented one so the engine can breathe or if you have a set of valve covers with breathers in them use those as well for the test. Take the car for a good run to get it nice and hot and see if there is any change. If no change I would put a good cooling system stop leak in and try, this should help if there is a pin hole some where.
Good luck.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

138 miles on a fresh rebuild.....and no PCV valve.....
your rings havent seated yet.....your gonna get blowby
on a new motor....if you had a PCV valve hooked up you
wouldent see all that "steam" it would be going out through
the headers.....
Old 09-27-2010, 08:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Should I be plugging a line into the base of the carbs for better air flow?

I have seen systems that run a hose from the rear intake plate directly into the carb base plate, but I believe I would need to run valve cover breates for this set up correct?

I would like to maintain the clean pent roof valve covers without breathers.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

First of all, this thread is going in two directions, steam or blow-by ... two entirely different critters. You need to make sure which one it is first. If it's moisture vapors then you have an internal coolant leak. If it's blow-by (combustion gases blowing by the rings/pistions into the crankcase) you could have unseated rings, busted ring, and/or burnt/broken ring land on a piston.

Get a small make-up mirror from mama and put it in the fridge for a while. After the car's warmed up, running and making the "vapor" put the mirror in the vapor stream. If moisture condenses on the mirror then it's coolant, if not then more than likely blow-by.

Once you know that then you can figure (with our help) where to go from there.

Also, wipe your finger inside the rusting tank. Taste the residue (not much though, don't want to get sick from glycol poisening) If you're running any antifreeze you will be able to tell as it has a distinctive taste if it's an internal coolant leak.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

i would change out the breakin oil, put in the 20-50. do some acceleration \deceleration runs to help seat the rings more and see if the quantity of the vapor\fumes has gone down. it sure does look like new motor blowby to me.

fred
Old 09-27-2010, 10:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Johnex EQ
Not Ranked     

undy is correct. After what you said in your post it does sound more like blow-by. keep looking. Good Luck Ed

Johnex EQ 514