Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-29-2010, 01:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     
Default Spark plug wires

How often do you guys replace plug wires?

What are the best quality wires that maintain an authentic period correct look? (I have an old school OEM Ford distributor, petronix points replacement and a pertronix coil).

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 09-29-2010, 01:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdoug View Post
How often do you guys replace plug wires?

What are the best quality wires that maintain an authentic period correct look? (I have an old school OEM Ford distributor, petronix points replacement and a pertronix coil).

if you want an OEM set these guys will be able to help. a set for a 64-66 t-bird will be the right look.

green sales

http://www.greensalescompany.com/
Old 09-29-2010, 02:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWB View Post
if you want an OEM set these guys will be able to help. a set for a 64-66 t-bird will be the right look.

green sales

http://www.greensalescompany.com/
I used Green Sales for some of my distributor fasteners from the recent rebuild.

There are a number of places I can buy OEM reproduction wires, my question is - is the quality the same as the modern tech wires? What specs do I want to see? They don't have to be exact reproductions since after all mine isn't a "real" original cobra (), but it would be nice to have them look close to keep my period correct look.

www.partskeeper.com
Old 09-29-2010, 02:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

i have been shopping for wires myself, i care nothing for original look, seems that most wire sets are 8mm, slightly large for OEM look. to be friendly to my MSD i can't use solid core, only spiral core. i didn't see much in the way of black, especially black with the orange boots.

my taylor spiral core lasted 4 years, and could probably go more but a couple of the spark plug boots are cracking at the thumb grip. they come in red and blue with black dist boots and respective red or blue plug boots. i find the blue a bit LA-LA for my taste..
you could try NAPA, their wires are good, i use them on my dailys, i think they are dark blue with black boots.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:41 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
i have been shopping for wires myself, i care nothing for original look, seems that most wire sets are 8mm, slightly large for OEM look. to be friendly to my MSD i can't use solid core, only spiral core.
No orange boots, but you might like the performance of my MSD-friendly Moroso wires.

Last edited by patrickt; 11-02-2016 at 12:02 PM..
Old 09-29-2010, 02:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
i have been shopping for wires myself, i care nothing for original look, seems that most wire sets are 8mm, slightly large for OEM look. to be friendly to my MSD i can't use solid core, only spiral core. i didn't see much in the way of black, especially black with the orange boots.

my taylor spiral core lasted 4 years, and could probably go more but a couple of the spark plug boots are cracking at the thumb grip. they come in red and blue with black dist boots and respective red or blue plug boots. i find the blue a bit LA-LA for my taste..
you could try NAPA, their wires are good, i use them on my dailys, i think they are dark blue with black boots.
Summitracing has a bunch in black (e.g. http://www.summitracing.com/search/P...lug-Wire-Sets/) and dearbornclassics has accurate repro versions (although pricey), just wasn't sure about how to compare insulation/ohm resistance, etc quality of one to the other.

www.partskeeper.com
Old 09-29-2010, 03:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

For example, is there going to be a quality difference between these two sets of wires? (Cost is the same)

Ford repro Autolite wires:

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ite...tKey=EMUSTANG#

Pertronix black OEM-looking wires: (or fill in your favorite aftermarket black 7mm wire)

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ite...atKey=EMUSTANG

www.partskeeper.com
Old 09-29-2010, 04:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

patrick,

i like the look of those.....do you remember the ohms per foot on the wires?
what kind of plug boots are on them? are they assembled or do you crimp on the plug ends?

doug,

i saw a difference in the actual resistance of the wire, the cheaper sets had a high resistance, the sets geared more for performance had a lower resistance but were more expensive.

patrick and doug, i was leaning toward the taylor 10.4 mm set # 79265, i currently have the taylor 8mm #73255. i may consider the moroso depending on the plug boot. i particularly like the grip friendly taylor boot.
my kellison has close inner panels that require me to be a contorsionist to pull a plug wire. what is the moroso part number for those?

fred

P.S. doug, our dist cap has male prongs sticking out of it (MSD) where yours takes the early ford style....

Last edited by FWB; 09-29-2010 at 04:25 PM..
Old 09-29-2010, 07:27 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
patrick,

i like the look of those.....do you remember the ohms per foot on the wires?
what kind of plug boots are on them? are they assembled or do you crimp on the plug ends?
They're pre-made for FE engines, Moroso Part #72605, Blue Max 8mm Spiral Core. Here is the technical info: http://www.moroso.com/articles/artic...&catcode=39027 Now if I read that chart right, it says it has 729 ohms per foot.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

doug,

i can't really say which is better, the 39 dollar price tells me they are not exactly a performance wire, carbon with fiberglass? not what i would use.

here is a very informative site about wires. it seems there are a few flavors of conductors being made, most suck. good wires will be priced.....well....let's just say you will get what you pay for.

http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/truth.htm
Old 09-30-2010, 04:42 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default FWB Speakum Truthum

Quote:
For example, is there going to be a quality difference between these two sets of wires? (Cost is the same)
Both of your Mustangs Unlimited sets are $39.95. The Moroso wires are $52.95 at Summit. If we use the FWB rule of "you get what you pay for" then my Moroso wires are 33% better than your MU wires. In all seriousness, I do tend to agree with the FWB rule, at least when it comes to our cars.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So what are the best 7mm wires out there if I want the original look?

www.partskeeper.com
Old 09-30-2010, 06:27 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
So what are the best 7mm wires out there if I want the original look?
Moroso also makes their Ultra 40 Race Wire Custom Fit Sets in 7mm. You'll have to use their "Buyer's Guide" to match up the lengths to what you need for your FE. This is what they look like:

Old 09-30-2010, 06:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'll check these out and also compare 7mm to 8mm wires and decide whether it actually matters to me. Very good chance that it doesn't at all a long as there black. By the way, what is the most important spec - ohms/foot? The pertronix ones I had above were 500 ohms/foot whereas the Morosos were 729 ohms/foot?

www.partskeeper.com
Old 09-30-2010, 07:57 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Taylor Spiro Pro Race wire for me. 10.5mm. Available in a few colors, including black. I have a set of the pre-made Ford Racing wires, but was never happy with the lengths and layout. So, I made the Taylor set to fit right. They also have nice boots for the MSD cap that don't have the nipples on the top, which you have to order separately. If you go this route, have plenty of patience and don't buy anything other than Taylor's heavy duty racheting stipper/crimper. M2C....
Old 09-30-2010, 08:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here's another option that looks interesting from the FE Forum:

http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/main.htm

EDIT: Interesting info on spark plug wires and potentially misleading marketing here: http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/truth.htm

www.partskeeper.com

Last edited by dcdoug; 09-30-2010 at 09:12 AM..
Old 09-30-2010, 10:57 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Here's another option that looks interesting from the FE Forum:

http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/main.htm

EDIT: Interesting info on spark plug wires and potentially misleading marketing here: http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/truth.htm
Looks like their 8mm FE set is $100 (part #8014). That would make it almost twice as good as my Moroso wires (using the FWB rule, that is).
Old 09-30-2010, 11:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yeah, they aren't cheap. The info was interesting though. Not so easy to compare apples to applies with plug wires as you might think.

www.partskeeper.com
Old 09-30-2010, 01:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Looks like their 8mm FE set is $100 (part #8014). That would make it almost twice as good as my Moroso wires (using the FWB rule, that is).
ok, patrick, that is not exactly what i meant. i see 35 dollar sets of wires and 60 dollar sets, i would go with the 60 dollar set from a company like taylor or moroso before i would buy a no name for 35 dollars. i'm just as in the dark as to what is BS or not. the magnecor sets go for 100 for 8mm and 169 for the 10 mm but are they twice as good? who knows......maybe they are....i can't say that my taylors stopped performing, but would i even know if they did?
if the quality of spark getting to the plugs was diminished could i tell?
doubtful....
Old 09-30-2010, 02:40 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
ok, patrick, that is not exactly what i meant.....
Too late; the rule has now been written. And I don't even know why they talk about the resistance in a plug wire if you can believe the comparisons on the Moroso page. There is absolutely no correlation between spark energy and wire resistance (if you can believe the graph). http://www.moroso.com/articles/artic...&catcode=39027