Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2010, 04:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: factory five mkIII roadster 445 fe quick fuel 750 q series,irs
Not Ranked     
Question pcv valve and race style carbs?

i was curious if the race style choke less carbs come with a vacuum port on the base plate so you can run a pcv valve?. i have the rpm manifold i know there is a port in one of the front runners but i really dont want the pcv valve in the drivers side front valve cover, what is the best way to run the pcv valve?. i have not decided on a carb but i am looking in to what ever patrick at pro systems would recccomend for my 445 fe.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Yes, they do.

I always run the PCV valve in the passenger side valve cover and a breather on the driver's side.

I use Quick Fuel carbs on all my engines. One of the carb gurus that used to work for Quick Fuel now works for the dyno shop where I have my engines dyno'd. He custom builds carbs to each customer's specs. If you'd be interested, let me know.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

I just received my carb from Pro Systems and it came with a brass plug in the rear vacuum port where the PCV hose normally connects to the base. I pulled it out and inserted the fitting that I pulled out of my Street Avenger base and then bolted the carb on. Piece of cake.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

2 bg rr carbs, one pro systems, one stallion carb, none have the port for vacuum advance or pcv valve, but you can usually route an oil breather line off the valve covers to the air filter or come up with something.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

Some do, ( have the port ) some do not - depends on mfr. -- some intakes have a port for it, or you can have a plate to add the port to the base of the carb. -- watch out for hood clearance with this version though.

There are plenty of Race and Psudo Race carbs that have a vac port provision to support PCV that there is no reason to omit the PCV.

Unless you hate the earth and like unburned fuel in your oil,- and are indifferent to your crankcase acid level.

PCV !
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 10-14-2010, 05:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Panavia has this one correct. The PCV port is on some carbs, not on others. True race carbs won't have one because its not important for a true race application. Most all street carbs will have one. You should have one.

Not hard to drill and tap a passage for intakes lacking same - be sure to hit both sides of a dual plane to avoid noise caused by runner pulse imbalance. An individual runner is a crummy place for a vacuum tap.

Patrick is a very sharp cat and will know what you need. I use Quick Fuel often because the co-founder and owner is a long time personal friend from the days when we both worked at Holley. I'd tell stories about the night before my wedding...but the statuate of limitations has not run out...

"I can do that....."

Engine Masters Challenge Entries
91 octane - single 4bbl - mufflers
2008 - 429 cid FE HR - 675HP
2007 - 429 cid FE MR - 659HP
2006 - 434 cid FE MR - 678HP
2005 - 505 cid FE MR - 752HP
Old 10-14-2010, 07:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

For applications that will be street driven, we always ask the customer if they need provisions for PCV, vacuum advance, and choke. If they don't, the PCV and vacuum advance ports are plugged permanently to avoid leaks later due to deterioration of the factory rubber caps...or when possible, we utilize billet aluminum throttle bodies and metering blocks designed without those ports to begin with.

I agree that for practically ALL street applications, utilizing PCV is the correct and responsible thing to do. Street engines generally aren't (and shouldn't be) built so close to the ragged edge on compression and ignition timing that a small amount of residual crankcase oil vapor pushes them into part-throttle detonation.

Stallion Racing Components

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_R View Post
I'd tell stories about the night before my wedding...but the statuate of limitations has not run out...
I know the parties involved well enough to accept this at face value, Barry. I'm also guessing that Zach was tending bar that night as well, and was chiefly responsible for most of the misbehavior.