Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2010, 08:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     
Default The SOHC returns

The Cammer is back!

http://www.pahorsepower.com/page8/page8.html
Old 10-08-2010, 09:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

The Cammer has been back.

KC sells one for $40K and Barry R has one for $50K.

Who are these guys? I haven't heard of them.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
The Cammer has been back.

KC sells one for $40K and Barry R has one for $50K.
And that's exactly who I'd buy it from. Right after RodKnock does. Patrickt said he'd give me the money.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 10-08-2010, 09:27 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Barry's 527ci SOHC is asking $50K, but he said he would take a rational offer. It's his almost-EMC entry from last year that never made it to the challenge.

KC's was priced around $39K. If someone wanted one built, then they could probably do it cheaper using less-trick parts.

A Cammer is only a dream.

Actually, I'd be very happy to find a nice set of magnesium Halibrands.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Patrickt said he'd give me the money.
Same here, but when I still refused to join the dual padded roll bar cult, he changed his mind.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...

Last edited by Buzz; 10-08-2010 at 10:06 AM..
Old 10-08-2010, 10:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Actually, I'd be very happy to find a nice set of magnesium Halibrands.
Do you have the link to Barry's SOHC? Couldn't find it on his site.

I know this is a SOHC thread, but brief digression - wasn't there a group order a while back on magnesium Halibrands? Why didn't you order then?

www.partskeeper.com
Old 10-08-2010, 10:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdoug View Post
Do you have the link to Barry's SOHC? Couldn't find it on his site.

I know this is a SOHC thread, but brief digression - wasn't there a group order a while back on magnesium Halibrands? Why didn't you order then?
Here's the link:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/75943...able+very+soon

"We" were soliciting interest so that we could get an order of magnesium wheels into production, but they never went into production.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:52 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Same here, but when I still refused to join the dual padded roll bar cult, he changed his mind.
Money always has strings attached.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Nice engine. 850+HP might be overkill in a cobra. Also, in addition to the normal modifications, I bet you'd have issues with the height of that intake as well.

Quote:
"We" were soliciting interest so that we could get an order of magnesium wheels into production, but they never went into production.
Maybe try again? With the economy in the tank, maybe they would have more interest now?

www.partskeeper.com
Old 10-08-2010, 11:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The height of that intake would be the least of my issues. Spending $50K, or even $40K on that engine, would be the beginning of my issues. Then adding to my list of issues would be modifying my car for that engine.

But, hey, if someone is willing to give me $35K +/- for my 482, then I'd strongly consider it.

Regarding the magnesium Halibrand wheels, I'm assuming interest in spending $3,000 +/- for a new set of wheels would be minimal due to the economy.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

My conclusion is that if you intend to use a SOHC engine you should have the car built to accommodate it. "Remodeling" it after the fact is pretty hard. Foot boxes on both sides, pedals and steering all need to be moved.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Owned CSX 3121 1969-1975. Went to the dark side and bought a 'Vette. May yet repent and be saved.
Not Ranked     

As I've noted in the past, the SOHC engine fits in an original 427 Cobra. I've posted pics of Carter Gette's cammer-powered car, which had a single four barrel carb and a low air cleaner that even fit under the stock hood.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
My conclusion is that if you intend to use a SOHC engine you should have the car built to accommodate it. "Remodeling" it after the fact is pretty hard. Foot boxes on both sides, pedals and steering all need to be moved.
Remodeling after or before is the same thing, but for the fact that you have to pull the FE that's in the car already and you have to buy some new parts, namely the SOHC engine.

Throttle and steering linkage, headers, footboxes, etc. all have to be redone in either case. It's not breaking any new ground. In fact, at the time my engine and tranny were being installed, there was a Kirkham at the same shop having a Cammer installed.

I could never do it, but for someone who's performed the change on a number of occasions, it's no big deal.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:00 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I could never do it, but for someone who's performed the change on a number of occasions, it's no big deal.
Correct. If I were to do it (which I have no desire to do so), it would take nothing more than reserving a slot on ERA's work schedule, putting the car in transport, having the cammer shipped directly to CT, and then signing my name. Piece of cake.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF2984 MK111, Roush 511 IR FE 8 Stack, Dynoed: [flywheel] 572HP at 6000 , 556# Torque at 4700, Bowler 4R70W Auto Transmision. Tires: Mickey T's S/R 26.0x10.0x15.0 F ,26.0x12.0x15.0 R Color, Bleck, because they told me it was Bleck, at the factory.
Not Ranked     
Default OK I give up, why Magnesium?

Quote:
Regarding the magnesium Halibrand wheels, I'm assuming interest in spending $3,000 +/- for a new set of wheels would be minimal due to the economy.
RodKnock, can you help me understand the benefits of having magnesium Halibrands installed on a Cobra? Is it just to be period correct or are there other intrinsic benefits associated with having these wheels?

Do they add value?

I would appreciate hearing your view on this.

EDIT
Apologies everyone, RodKnock, perhaps you can send me a pm so I don't appear to be hijacking this thread. I know, I know, I just did, thus the apologies

Thanks, tin-man

Last edited by tin-man; 10-08-2010 at 08:46 PM..
Old 10-15-2010, 07:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 brushed aluminum with Keith Craft 527C.I. all aluminum FE
Not Ranked     

Yes you can build a Cammer if that is what you want. All I heard for two years is why don't you build a Cmmer, everybody wants one but no one has one. You will sell it because it takes about a year to get one built. Well I built one and it has been for sale for about 6 months now and no one has stepped up to buy it. It is a very nice street engine that will run great on the street or strip. Will be very durable the way it is built with the low lift cam shaft and over kill parts.
I know the economy is slow but I have probably built the last Cammer unless it is a special order. Like I said evry body wanted one till it was done and ready to go. Check the prices of parts and machine work and you will find that it would be hard to build for less than what I have this one for sale for. A lot of people think they can do it and then after 2 years and jacked up stuff they understand a little better.
Yeh the Cammer is back, big deal.

Good luck, Keith Craft
Old 10-15-2010, 07:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Come on Rodknock, just buy it. We don't want KC to stop building them. They are far too cool.

www.partskeeper.com
Old 10-15-2010, 08:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdoug View Post
Come on Rodknock, just buy it. We don't want KC to stop building them. They are far too cool.
I would love too, but for 1/2 the price (or more) of a SOHC, you get a brand new all-aluminum 482. And then the work starts on the mods.

I think at $30K, the SOHC might be price-competitive, but at $40K, well not so much.

Regarding the magnesium Halibrands, I just think they're cool. I like the look of the gold dichromate when new, I like the look as they age, they came on the CSX3000's and they're much lighter, which means something to me. Yes, I think they add value, but that's my opinion. The next guy might not.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:21 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

I feel for Keith. You can cut through his post with a knife.

What's happening to him is the probably the same thing that would happen to the person who invests in making magnesium wheels or Sunbursts. A lot of chatter and little sales. I've seriously considered investing in Sunbursts molds myself, paying for tooling and subcontracting the work. But is it worth it? Certainly not monetarily. There's that dentist who seems to be close but haven't heard from him in a while.

I think it would be pretty cool for a company to come along and 'pick up the pieces' and missing links to our cars but sh*t, that's a lot of investing for the phone to ring a few times a year. Not to mention having too many irons in the fire.

rodneym
Old 10-16-2010, 05:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I've been down that road a few times myself, although for a ton less money than you. I used to have a Lil Red Express. Everybody wanted lowering spindles for 72-93 1/2 ton trucks. I built them using a company I know. Sold a whopping 1 set and I took a beating to get rid of them. On the Mopar site, people still ask for them, but make them and nobody buys them.

Deposits up front to at least cover costs.