Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-27-2010, 03:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

That cam is too short in duration. It will get you into trouble at 10.5:1 compression on 527 cubes if you're hoping to run pump gas. It will be a pooch - good for a tow truck engine if it does not rattle. Out of breath by 5000 or so...

In a 527 even a "big" cam will seem small. My hydraulic roller stuff runs the gamut for specs, but I often use my 234/240 .594/.598 112° in pump gas 445 and 462 strokers. It idles decently around 750 and pulls to around 6200 or so without drama.

In a 527 you are going to want to be way larger yet than that to get power past 6000. I might try something around 303 309 248 254 .668 .668 112°
- even that might be too small, but at least it's headed in the right direction.

Don't worry about RPM limits in the 527 - good parts will go considerably higher than that. But you might consider taking steps (big cam being one of them) to soften the bottom end torque a touch in a Cobra.

"I can do that....."

Engine Masters Challenge Entries
91 octane - single 4bbl - mufflers
2008 - 429 cid FE HR - 675HP
2007 - 429 cid FE MR - 659HP
2006 - 434 cid FE MR - 678HP
2005 - 505 cid FE MR - 752HP
Old 12-27-2010, 05:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

The cylinder heads also have a good part to play on how much duration you need. If they're stock out of the box Edel's, then you may need to add a little more. If they've been CNC ported or worked over by hand (by someone that knows what they're doing) then you don't have to add quite as much duration.

There's no reason not to make horsepower with this engine. The cam would definitely hold you back and I think anything less than a nice big single plane intake would bottleneck you as well.

Make as much horsepower as you can within the range that you're gonna run. Cobras have gas pedals, you don't have to hold them down all the time....(Although they're more fun that way.... )
Old 12-27-2010, 06:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default There another thought process

Restocreations What is needed is more info on the motor and what you are looking for in power, drivibility, cruising, easy maintainance, and Idle lope for noise. What is the owner looking for???
I started with a 452 motor, I build only torque motors. This is what moves the car from a stop, not HP at 6,000 rpm. Raced the same motor for 8 years and now running a 482 for 6 years. My 482 motor has a crane hydro roller 587/607" in it. I have a stage 2 head job done on Shelby heads. Stroker kit came from Barry R. Maintainance is not much. Motor at the flywheel is 620ft torque and 525HP at 5,900 rpms. Ilde is a little lope. I run a single plane FI system for the 15 years and have been very happy with motor and setup.
The camshaft you are talking about is small BUT here's the thing, Does this driver have alot of time behind the wheel of 500HP??? how about 600HP?? Having the biggest motor in a cobra is not always the smartest thing. YOur owner might be happier with a 482 motor. 4.25 stroke and bore. Max safe rpms 6,500. This will give a long life to this motor. Is the owner looking to smoke the tires for 300 ft off idle?? Another thing is are we running hydro rollers or solid rollers?? Either way we are going to need valve springs up to the ability to hand and control the valve train. I can tell you that running a hydro roller lifter will cost you about 400 rpms in motor because of float with the same valve springs. Matching parts is going to be very IMPORTANT. HYdro lifters pump up at about 6,400 rpms and float the valve train. Mr. valve smacking Mr. piston is not going to be pretty without a rev limiter. I run mine to 6,200 max. I get a float at 5,800 rpms but the motor pushes through because of setup of the rockers. I also run a beehive spring. 12 years no problems. BBC work pretty good for 5,500 rpm motors. If you are looking for more RPM PAC valve springs have a higher spring rate in the 420 range. These will get your motor to 6,500 rpms.
How much head work is done to these heads??? KC stage 3 heads with max flow?? IMO I wouldn't run anything bigger than a .630/.650" with 112 LSA camshaft in a 527 for the street. This will give you good power in a wide power band. Not spin the motor over 6,200 rpms and give you many years of life. This is a hydro lifter camshaft. Solid lifter would be in the .650/670" with a 110-112 LSA. 6,500 rpm max. I know guys running .700" lift cams and bigger. Problems are replacement of valve springs every couple of years, hard wear and tear of lifter wheels on camshaft. FE lifter have a small size. If going to high lift camshaft have the block lifters bored to .904" dodge BB lifters. Wider wheel and handle load better than .875".
The spec left out are about the motor, Carb size, intake manifold design, header pipe size, what kind of side pipes are you running,(street or race) rearend ratio and trans ratios. IMO and I am running a 3.31 gear in the rearend, and thing high will make the car hard to drive from stand still. It's hard to get cobras to hookup and run. What clutch are you looking at?? I think the numbers above will be the best for a 527 motor and give endurance ability and fun to owner. Going bigger on camshaft will give more power and shorten life of motor valvesprings and beat valve seat up faster. I am building a 498 motor with 11.0 compression. Camshaft is in the .630's with a 112 LSA. Looking at 650HP at the flywheel and almost 700 ft of torque. This is past the safe limit of a cobra. I drive the car hard and abuse it on the track to a degree but have only had 2 broken rocker shafts and killed 1 clutch. This is with street tires, 17". More important thing is oil pressure, limiters to the heads, oiling through the pushrods. 30 psi at idle and 65-80 psi at 2,500 rpms. This motor like oil pressure even with BBC rods and scat crank shaft. I am running shelby blocks that are center oilers. Rick L. Ps over 30+ years of racing I have learned that bigger is not always better unless winning is the only thing and you have DEEP POCKETS.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA, 363 Stroker
Not Ranked     

I really appreciate the replies. Yes, the gameplan did change. I changed motors and then found out later that the wrong stroker kit had been sent.

Anyway, i spoke with Keith Craft today and they are going to set me up with the hydraulic roller cam that they use.

Thanks again for the replies and for sharing!