Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 03:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KIRKHAM 427 S/C, SHELBY 427 ALUM. STROKER
Not Ranked     
Default best bearings

Wondering if my Clevite 77 bearings (pn CB-756P and MB-2560P) are the performance version, or is there a better grade ? These were bought about 10yrs ago, engine never fired and is now torn down for changes, so I could easily upgrade if something better is available. I notice Summit doesn't even list these pn's now.
Anybody know if there is a newer/better bearing available?
TIA, Ted
Old 02-10-2011, 04:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

I prefer the Clevite and Federal Mogul bearings, but I have used King from time to time.

The bearings that you listed are the "P" series and are more for stock applications where the crank radii aren't as large.

The "H" series is deemed more of a high performance bearing.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The Federal Mogul 125M is a far better main bearing - the 3/4 groove is a decided advantage.

"I can do that....."

Engine Masters Challenge Entries
91 octane - single 4bbl - mufflers
2008 - 429 cid FE HR - 675HP
2007 - 429 cid FE MR - 659HP
2006 - 434 cid FE MR - 678HP
2005 - 505 cid FE MR - 752HP
Old 02-10-2011, 07:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My engine is the shelby aluminum block with a 428 crank. Did some searches on the clevite site and the main set (MS-1010P ) comes up for a 351C ! The rod brgs (CB-756 P) don't show up at all, and on Jeg's site they come up as a good # with a price, but no application ! Now I'm more confused than when I started! These were the bearing #'s that were in the engine when I bought it. Maybe Barry or Brent can shed some light on these #'s ??
Old 02-10-2011, 08:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

What are the advantages of 1/2, 3/4 and full groove bearings?
Old 02-11-2011, 07:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

This will probably work out to a monster---

Garry--It all comes down to how the oil feeds thru the crank to get to the rod bearing--

With a half groove main(top half) the oil has a route to the rod for 180* rotation of the crank. Then years ago , someone made grooves in the main journals of the cranks so they would oil 360*. Then someone crossdrilled the main journals so that one or the other holes were always exposed to oil---then the engineers fiqured out that dividing the main surface into two halves actually lowered the capacity of the oil film to only about 1/4 of what it was---now, they don't cross drill mains anymore but since all the load on the mains is in the lower quarter, they have made 3/4 groove bearings which supply the rods much better than half grooves but doesn't lose the oil film load ability of the lower main---????????
Old 02-11-2011, 08:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTORHEAD View Post
My engine is the shelby aluminum block with a 428 crank. Did some searches on the clevite site and the main set (MS-1010P ) comes up for a 351C ! The rod brgs (CB-756 P) don't show up at all, and on Jeg's site they come up as a good # with a price, but no application ! Now I'm more confused than when I started! These were the bearing #'s that were in the engine when I bought it. Maybe Barry or Brent can shed some light on these #'s ??
FE mains are the same size as 351C mains....2.750". That's why sometimes you get a cross like that. Barry listed the FM bearings up above, I like those and have used Clevite MS863P as well.

As for the rod bearings, they are readily available through Clevite or the other manufacturers. CB756P.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

For rod bearings for a 482 stroker would you choose:

CB743HN
CB743P

the HN bearings are thinner, is that a good idea for the street? What makes them a performance bearing? Thanks.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the input guys ! After further research (found my shelby data sheet) I see where the block is set-up for either 427 or 351c bearings. On the clevite site, their catalog doesn't show the CB 756 as a FE rod bearing. I scanned the entire listing and did not find the CB 756 anywhere! They are in my H beam rods of unknown manufacturer, and they seem to be ok, I'm just curious as to what their original application was. Also on the clevite site is a statement that some "P" bearings are "hi performance" , but no details as to which ones. Also referenced are the "h" series "hi perf", so I'm trying to find out if those are available for my application.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Continuing post: having computer problems.
Re: grooves. From Clevite; " The graphs on the next page illustrate that a simple 180deg groove in the upper main shell is still the best overall design." You can check their site for more info on this, I can't type fast enough to quote it all. I have sent them an e-mail for clarification of the different pn's, and to see if I would benefit from some other pn. As it is now, I'm inclined to "run what I brung".
Ted
Old 02-11-2011, 12:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry viohl View Post
For rod bearings for a 482 stroker would you choose:

CB743HN
CB743P

the HN bearings are thinner, is that a good idea for the street? What makes them a performance bearing? Thanks.
You can use either one if it's a Scat or Eagle crank.

The HN bearing is narrow and is usually only used on crankshafts with .125" radii, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to use it on a small radius crank.

It comes down to how much money you wanna spend on bearings. The H series bearings can rack up some cash.

What you may find is that the bearing clearances aren't what you want them to be, so you can mix/match either standard/.001" or standard/X bearings to dial in the clearances. When you're having to buy two sets of H series main bearings, that can get pretty expensive.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The bearing alloy in performance bearings is decidedly better. Not even open to question. Clevite chose to go to a narrow bearing a few years ago, Federal-Mogul still chamfers the bearing for radii clearance. Either approach works.

On rod bearings either one works. On passenger car main bearings Clevite and others have gone to using the same shell for both upper and lower positions. This puts a huge "oil hole" and a groove in the loaded lower section of the bearing - greatly reducing it's surface area and hence increasing the psi loading. A really crappy idea.

FE and Cleveland engines can use the same main bearings - the only significant difference is in the tang location. You may either remove the tangs or add notches. The tangs are for production assembly location only and serve no real purpose. Cleveland race main bearings are available in +1 and -1 sizes while FEs are not.

"I can do that....."

Engine Masters Challenge Entries
91 octane - single 4bbl - mufflers
2008 - 429 cid FE HR - 675HP
2007 - 429 cid FE MR - 659HP
2006 - 434 cid FE MR - 678HP
2005 - 505 cid FE MR - 752HP
Old 02-11-2011, 01:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Barry: my MB 2560P's are grooved top half only. Got a response from clevite which stated that the CB-756P is not available in an "H" version. No reply as to what was the original app for the 756p. After spending the last few mo's on bodywork, I'm just now getting ready for engine build. Reading thru your book now before I start.
Ted