Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-15-2011, 08:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Oil cooler thermostat?

Since I don't have room for Canton's huge (physically large) oil cooler thermostat I'm looking for a "quality" sandwich style oil cooler thermostat. It should simply replace my old sandwich style oil cooler adapter that I'm currently using. Earls makes a "billet" offering and it appears to be better made that other "pot metal" based units.

http://www.holley.com/502ERL.asp

Does anyone have good or bad experiences with these?
Old 03-15-2011, 08:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

Looks like a nice simple piece--KISS

On my setup I'm using a drysump oil system plumbed thru an heat exchanger in a Nascar type C&R radiator----radiator is a cross flow that gets rid of coolant heat on the first pass across the rad, goes over the oil heat exchanger in the left side tank and then the coolant flows back to the right side with heat from oil being removed before coolant returns to engine--in this deal the oil temp is controlled much more precisely than a air to oil cooler
Old 03-15-2011, 08:45 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS427, Keith Craft 496 Genesis, 649 hp, 668 ft-lb, TKO-600, Dynatek Stack EFI
Not Ranked     

Thats the one I use. No issues at all. Good consistent temp control.

Brad W.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

From what I have read over the years, unless you are road racing the car, you do not need an oil cooler.

________
Old 03-15-2011, 11:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraEd View Post
From what I have read over the years, unless you are road racing the car, you do not need an oil cooler.

While that's more than likely true, my cooler's already installed and plumbed in (11 years ago).

Another thing a lot of people don't realize is that also provides another means of heat rejection for an "over stressed" FE/Cobra cooling system. It's just another way to dump some more BTUs...
Old 03-15-2011, 01:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: shellvalley 428 ford
Not Ranked     

Hi Dave,

Anything here help you?

Later Gator,
Byron

http://www.batinc.net/mocal.htm
Old 03-15-2011, 01:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK427 BB Chevy454
Not Ranked     

Quote:

But if you have one it's best to have a thermostat isn't it? Otherwise oil won't warm up properly I heard

Mark
Old 03-15-2011, 03:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: contemporary(2) one with 427 sohc and one with 427 center oiler
Not Ranked     

Check out www.beaumontmetalworks.com. I don't think you need a cooler unless your racing but if your building a Cobra it sure looks right. With this thermostat you can allow a small amount of warm oil to circulate,this will keep the cooler clean.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by undy View Post
Earls makes a "billet" offering and it appears to be better made that other "pot metal" based units.

Does anyone have good or bad experiences with these?
I had one on my car for a couple of years. Excellent product, works exactly as advertised. Much better than the cast aluminum one it replaced. Looks better, too. I think it's well worth the money. After I took it off, I sold it for almost what I paid for it.

Quote:

That's essentially true. Oil is heated by rpm's. And I mean consistantly high rpm's; not stop light to stop light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco454v8 View Post
But if you have one it's best to have a thermostat isn't it? Otherwise oil won't warm up properly I heard

Mark
Oil has an operating temp range. Max temps is pretty easy to find. But minimum temps are harder to come by. As best as I could tell, 180* is about the minimum. On a cold morning, it can be real tough to get the oil that hot, even with a thermostat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by legenmetals View Post
Check out www.beaumontmetalworks.com. With this thermostat you can allow a small amount of warm oil to circulate,this will keep the cooler clean.
I took a good look at this piece, and it's pretty impressive. I like the idea that you can shut it off completly for the winter. Or only turn it on a little when it's needed. BUT... it's a manual valve, so you have to understand how it works, and how to properly use it. It's not idiot proof.

With an automatic thermostat like Earls, when the oil is cold and the valve is closed, about 10% of the oil still moves through the cooler. That allows all of the oil to warm up at the same time. You wouldn't want a cold slug of oil to suddenly hit your oil galley.

That means that when it's cold out, the cooler will keep the oil from reaching operating temp; even with a thermostat. I have left my house (or hotel room) with temps in the 30's. Not an uncommon occurance here in CO. Even duct tape over the cooler doesn't help as much as you'de think it would.

If you use a manual valve, you have to plan in advance. At least have it open a little bit if you think you might need it. Then if the heat starts to build up you can gradually open it up. If it's a cool day and you're not racing, keep it closed all the way and just use the oil in the pan.

If the valve is closed all the way, and the oil is getting hot, you cannot open it and drive away. It would have to be real gradual with the engine at an idle.

I think the valve from Beaumont is an excellent piece. If I was looking for a control valve, that would be it.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto