Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 05:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Bill Coon SOHC Heads

Anyone waiting on Bill Coons new SOHC head batch? Seems that he has moved the heads to a machine shop and he is in the 'que' for machining. Anyone know anything else? Thanks. smg

Last edited by PJ10; 06-03-2011 at 06:27 AM..
Old 06-03-2011, 06:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

i can hear the checkbooks comin' out now!
Old 06-03-2011, 09:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 736 Street, Pond 482, FAST XFI EFI
Not Ranked     

You are likely to get more information if you post your question on fordfe.com.
FYI

phil
Old 06-03-2011, 12:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra FF5/BBM 482
Not Ranked     

i would be very careful getting my check book out with coons
Old 06-12-2011, 07:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Waiting on Coon Heads

Hey,

Yea I am waiting on a pair of those heads. I head they moved them to the machine shop and are expected to be delivered by end of month (Coon said 2 weeks, but my guy says give it a month)

Have every single part for this engine and now just waiting on those heads... cant wait.

Jason
Old 06-12-2011, 10:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

FWIW, the most recent thread on Bill Coon:

332-428 Ford FE Engine Forum: Bill Coon
Old 06-29-2011, 11:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Bill Coon

I am just speaking for myself, but I have spoken to Keith at Keith Craft as well as Barry over at Survival Motorsports on this matter. These are 2 very well respected individuals when it comes to engine building as well as the cammer specifically. Both individuals have nothing but nice things to say about Bill Coon and his parts. Yes, a little slow on getting them out, but the highest quality out there. I personally don't mind waiting to get a set of Coon heads.

As they are at the Machine shop, the physical heads exist.... just need to clean them up a bit.

:0)
Old 06-30-2011, 12:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: contemporary(2) one with 427 sohc and one with 427 center oiler
Not Ranked     

I have two sets, nice workmanship. Both from the first batch. You are not dealing with large manufacturing company but one man with a passion for building cammer parts, alot of work is involved. I hope you will be as pleased as I am.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

OK, Just got off the phone with Bill. You can tell he is stressed out first of all. Let me remind everyone that he is not "Edelbrock". He is a single guy bringing us a quality Head...just takes a while.

He said that the Caps are done at the Machine Shop. Heads will be worked on in about 2 weeks. He said that if there are no problems (and thats a big if!) we are looking at 3 to 3.5 weeks to get the heads from the Machine shop.

He also stated that he cannot go pick them up piece meal. When they are all done being machined, he picks them up to put on the finishing touches (Seats, remove burs,etc. basically making them perfect.)

Hope this info was of some assistance to you all.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I almost put a deposit down on a set of his SOHC heads. I decided not to do it.

For anyone on Club Cobra considering purchasing parts from Bill Coon, I recommend reading all the threads and posts on the FE Forum relating to Mr. Coon's SOHC parts, including his heads, front timing covers, backing plates, etc.

BTW, Jay Brown, the Moderator of the FE Forum, as of a 2/25/11 post, has filed a legal action against Mr. Coon.

332-428 Ford FE Engine Forum: Mr. Brown are Coon's heads better??

Last edited by RodKnock; 06-30-2011 at 03:45 PM.. Reason: extra "but"
Old 06-30-2011, 03:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
I almost put a deposit down on a set of his SOHC heads. I decided not to do it.
Rod,
Were you planning to use your 482 short as a core and build Cammer up from there?
Old 06-30-2011, 03:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
Rod,
Were you planning to use your 482 short as a core and build Cammer up from there?
Well, when I was thinking about it some time ago, I was thinking of eventually buying a Pond aluminum SOHC block and then build it off to the side. Not me building it of course.

My current 482 would probably have been either sold or installed in something else, like maybe another Cobra or a '67 Mustang Fastback that I would have purchased in my Utopian world.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Well, when I was thinking about it some time ago, I was thinking of eventually buying a Pond aluminum SOHC block and then build it off to the side. Not me building it of course.
IIRC, there is no difference in the block of a Cammer from a wedge Side oiler. I think Cammer heads drain oil differently from wedge heads but into the same block ports. Getting a Pond ally is fine but I think your 482 will easily accept Cammer heads. BTW, isn't your 482 ally??
The Cammer builder/collectors in here can correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There's some difference, but my aluminum Shelby block could be made to work. I just didn't want to disassemble my engine and scavenge parts from it for a SOHC engine.

From Pond's website:

"Our SOHC Ford blocks are manufactured in both aluminum and cast iron. The specifics are the same as our wedge block, except they weigh 2 to 3 pounds more due to no lifter provisions and have a deck height of 10.170 instead of 10.155. Also, there are no oil passages in the lifter valley area. However, there is an oil return hole in the back of the block that is unique to the SOHC head."

SOHC Ford Block, RPM Racing
Old 06-30-2011, 07:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

We have added cammer drainbacks to the Genesis blocks. Original 427 blocks can use an external drainback arrangement.

"I can do that....."

Engine Masters Challenge Entries
91 octane - single 4bbl - mufflers
2008 - 429 cid FE HR - 675HP
2007 - 429 cid FE MR - 659HP
2006 - 434 cid FE MR - 678HP
2005 - 505 cid FE MR - 752HP
Old 06-30-2011, 07:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks both for informing me. Wonder why Pond casts deck to .015 less than OE?
Old 06-30-2011, 07:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_R View Post
Original 427 blocks can use an external drainback arrangement.
Mine has that! It's called an oil "pan gasket".
Old 07-06-2011, 10:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

OK, as I am excited, I just need to tell someone who has an interest (as my wife does not share my excitement)... So far, I have a Robert Pond SOHC aluminum race block (with the drain holes), Diamond Pistons with ceramic coated domes and tephlon skirts, Eagle Forged Rods with Federal Mogul bearings and the Upgraded ARP 2000 bolts, RPM Forged Crankshaft (also with the upgraded Federal Mogul bearings), EZ EFI dual quad system(all the ease of EFi with the cool dual carb look), OEM ceramic spark plug cover and boots, The whole timing setup as well as the Timing covers, Melling High flow oil pump, Robert Pond Intake manifold (prototype dual quad setup), Copper plug tubes, Racing plugs (Ag903) as well as a set of racing plugs that wont interfere with the EFI system (Thank you Jay Brown!), Oval air cleaner with the "SOHC" Thunder Bird emblem on it (actually have a spare SOHC thunder bird emblem as they were sold as a set), Precision's Water pump, and all the bolts holding this Elephant together............................. Now for the question, Shove this beast into a Cobra replica or into a Split window corvette???? only time will tell!!!!!

Anyone else building one of these, I would love to hear how you have your setup.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

But you do not have Coon heads-right?
Old 07-06-2011, 11:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraCammer View Post
Now for the question, Shove this beast into a Cobra replica or into a Split window corvette???? only time will tell!!!!!
A Ford SOHC engine in a 1963 Split Window Corvette?

For heaven's sake, please install it into a Cobra replica or some other Ford offering, even if the S/W Corvette has already been hacked up.