Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-29-2011, 10:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 454 S.O.
Not Ranked     
Default Distributor Seal ( I Mean Leak !!!)

I have had the intake off the car twice to try to get the distributor to seal. When I drop the distributor in w/o the seal, it is almost perfectly concentric, I couldn't hope for much better.

Not a terrible leak, but enough to get all over the headers. Any suggestions? It is driving me nuts. Im read to smear RTV all over it, then time while it is still wet.

427 with Edelbrock heads and intake, MSD distributor.

“If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower.”

Mark Donahue
Old 06-30-2011, 01:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM cobra, 450 inch sbc running a best ET of 9.14..so far..ALL MOTOR...approx 800 horse.............ERA with 482 FE..All Aluminum Engine
Send a message via Yahoo to Hotfingrs
Not Ranked     

A couple of ideas...double gasket, or different hold down. They have some hold downs that go around the distributor farther, or if you have an intake with dual mounting holes for the hold down, try the other one.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Might need 2 gaskets glue together

Jeff Frigo Jeff 2 gaskets glue together and not over tighten your hold down plta for the distributor. Unless you have a good clean area,RTV will not seal to the manifold and housing. You need gray or silver RTV. 24 hour cure time. For oil to be coming out of here, you may have a problem with the motor, too much back pressure?? Miss a shift or over rev the thing?? This a funny place to leak oil. Check the corner of the valve covers too and bolt hole under the distributor. Have seen the intake gasket walk up the manifold and cause this leak. looks like distributor but is other place. They sell a dye check kit for about $45.00. You get dye, glasses and light. Makes finding leaks real easy. Rick L.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

How far down does the distributor drop through the intake. I have - rarely - seen them where the seal goes down completely below the intake, the seal ends up touching nothing. In those cases we end up making a sleeve, installed by oversizing the distributor hole.

"I can do that....."

Engine Masters Challenge Entries
91 octane - single 4bbl - mufflers
2008 - 429 cid FE HR - 675HP
2007 - 429 cid FE MR - 659HP
2006 - 434 cid FE MR - 678HP
2005 - 505 cid FE MR - 752HP
Old 06-30-2011, 06:18 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Are you using an "O" ring or the trapazoidal shaped gasket?

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 06-30-2011, 04:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 454 S.O.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
Are you using an "O" ring or the trapazoidal shaped gasket?
The trapizoid. I cut a strip of 1/16 inch thick cork today and placed it in the dist. grove behind the seal. Fixed.

“If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower.”

Mark Donahue
Old 07-01-2011, 10:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

Are you running a PCV system to create negative air pressure in the crank case >?
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com