Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-15-2011, 01:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Coolant flow path

Would any engine builders or knowledgeable types care to detail the direction of coolant (front, rear and side to side) in an FE? Block, pump, heads and intake?
I know it exits the block from the upper hose and enters from below. The crossover is in front but the heads have a rear water port but the intake is blocked there.
After all these years, I realized I don't have as good an understanding as I'd like.
Thanks,
Old 07-15-2011, 05:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

The heads are reversable from side to side so there are water ports at both ends so the intake manifolds are made so they block that port off---its that way on most all v8 engines and some racers will put hoses from there forward to help keep the temps more even
Old 07-15-2011, 05:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold ERA FIA 2139, 331 Weber IDF
Not Ranked     

Water leaves the two discharge ports from the pump equally and enters both banks of the block at the front. There it flows around the cylinders and then up into the heads. The size of the holes in the head gasket are designed to equalize the water flow so that all cylinders get the same flow rate (that is why installing the gaskets in the correct orientation is important). Water then flows through the heads and exits at the crossover in the intake manifold where it combines from both banks. It then encounters the thermostat, which if open, leads water to the radiator, or if closed, slows down the water flow tremendously, allowing the engine to warm. The small by-pass hose allows a small amount of flow back to the suction side of the pump when the thermostat is closed to prevent dead-heading the pump. Water from the open thermostat to the radiator from top to bottom and back to the suction side of the pump. Again it is the size and orientation of the holes in the head gasket where all the heavy engineering is. These equalize flow so that all cylinders and heads run at near the same temperature. And what Jerry said about the rear block-off, it there because the heads are reversible, thereby allowing for one casting.

Last edited by wolf k; 07-16-2011 at 05:31 AM.. Reason: corrected mistake noted by chas
Old 07-15-2011, 06:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A big 'Duh' from me. I know heads are reversible for one casting.
So block first then through the deck to the heads. Wolf you state the water flow is regulated by the size holes in 'the intake gasket'. Do you mean the head gasket instead??
The intake gaskets at the head exit are much larger than the casting hole. Here's mine before clean-up:

Thanks to you both for text-book answers.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:38 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     
Default Gaskets?

Chas, those aren't "Print-O-Fail" gaskets are they? If they are then you may want to research intake gaskets for FEs here and on the FE forum before you button that puppy up. Just a friendly word of caution.

Steve
Old 07-15-2011, 06:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the concern Steve. No they're not-they are the newer steel reinforced 1247 S3's. They feel like soft linoleum (not the old cardboard) with a steel core and they're nice!
Old 07-15-2011, 09:12 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Excellent, that's the first that I've seen of them.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Front of the engine to the rear, up through each head's rear water port, from the rear of the head to the front of the head, into the intake in front and out through the thermostat opening...
Old 07-15-2011, 09:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4083, NOS 427 SOHC, serial number 589. Dyno'd in 1967 at 629HP with single 4v 560 Holley. Now with 4 Webers.
Not Ranked     

Switch to Evans NPG+ with no water in the sytem and NO pressure build up, zero. Lifetime coolant, but better cooling properties.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Throttle Al View Post
Switch to Evans NPG+ with no water in the sytem and NO pressure build up, zero. Lifetime coolant, but better cooling properties.
Thanks Al but I'm good for 25+ years the old fashioned way. No pressure problems or overheat. Plus, I like getting it out every second or third season to keep cooling parts clean. Use the block drains each time too.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 736 Street, Pond 482, FAST XFI EFI
Not Ranked     

Hey Chas-

Don't know much about Felpro 1247's. Are your head's intake ports enlarged, or are they stock size? I'm wondering if the gaskets will accomodate a typical "stage 2" porting job. Thanks.

phil
Old 07-15-2011, 12:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, my heads are Shelby Stage II but that means different things to different heads. Stage II generally means CNC ports, runners and bowl blending. (As well as CNC chambers) But BT, Brodix and Ede can mean different port sizes. They should all be right near 'medium riser' configuration and size. My ports are 2.080 x 1.38. The 1247 S3's are 2.10 x 1.40. They fit the ports perfectly and the bolt holes and water ports are perfect too.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Oh oh, my bad-Brodix doesn't make FE heads. But you get the idea...
Old 07-16-2011, 04:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold ERA FIA 2139, 331 Weber IDF
Not Ranked     

Awh crap, yea I meant holes in the head gasket do the flow regulating.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf k View Post
Awh crap, yea I meant holes in the head gasket do the flow regulating.
Phew!-Thanks, I feel a little less dumb...
Old 07-18-2011, 08:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2124
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
Phew!-Thanks, I feel a little less dumb...
I'm glad I always automatically compute head gasket when someone says intake gasket...so I guess my brain was in sync with Wolf's...

BTW, Chas, interesting topic. I learned something too!

- Allen.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Me too Allen. I should have know this from H.S.
I think there's several basic areas like this I should (or would like to) know a lot more about.
Barry's book is a great reference for me and surpasses Christ's. But I often refer to Christ's because the dated nature of the info and techniques are very basic now. Closer to 'back in the day'.
They never had intake gaskets as good as these then...