Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-14-2011, 09:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Well, since Rabotnick threw his money in the cup, I'll toss my penny in too.

There are several build details that put the FE in a class by themselves. In my opinion, the typical Chevy engine builder couldn't just grab a handful of FE parts and spit one out.

Once you find a builder that is very familiar with FE's (prep, machining, and especially assembling), then I would ask yourself the usual questions that you would ask when purchasing any flavor of engine.

*Is the builder reputable enough to install the parts that he said he was going to install. i.e. Is he going to say that there are brand new Scat rods in the engine, but then install some el-cheapo brand? Is he going to over-inflate the dyno numbers to sell horsepower?

*If something happens to my engine that is the builder's fault, is he going to stand behind it? This generation of "internet engine builders" have a very tough row to hoe. Word travels extremely fast over the internet and if one person gets taken to the cleaners, everyone will know in a short period of time. If you can find an FE builder that has a good internet reputation, chances are (there are some exceptions) that builder will be a very straight shooter.

*If I have a question, how hard is it to contact the builder/shop? Do you want to wait an hour, or do you want to wait 2-3 days to get an email response or a return phone call? There's a fine line between quantity and quality. We all want to stay busy enough to pay the bills and be comfortable, but when we get too busy, customer service and quality can suffer.

Again, once you get past the builders that actually don't have any knowledge of FE engines, I would use basic common sense in making a decision. You took the first step by asking for others' opinions in a venue with a lot of previous engine buyers. That's a very good way to find out who's who...
Old 10-14-2011, 11:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Well said Blykins. You also da man!!!!!!
Old 10-14-2011, 12:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA #690, FRPP 427 Boss engine
Not Ranked     

Ya know, I didn't click on this thread for the longest time expecting someone to feel their cornflakes got peed on, but so far this is a great thread! Now if I just had a car that needed an FE...
Kirkham #690 289 FIA
Old 10-14-2011, 01:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: #535 Kirkham 427, 427 Side Oiler
Not Ranked     

Thank you very much Barry R & Blykins for your thoughts and advice. I did make the mistake of not doing enough research with my current FE 427S/O engine and found some build mistakes which were simply amatuer and unforgiveable and as such will not be going back to that builder again. After some rework by myself, the engine I have now runs fine and sounds great, but is probably in the low 400hp region and I've now got used to the power. I now want an FE which is lighter, more agressive and most importantly, has been built and dynoed by someone who knows what they are doing! Anyway, I'm going to take my time and research exactly the spec. I want and who I want to build it. I think its the only way to get the most for my hard earned cash. Thanks again guys.
Stuart
Old 02-18-2012, 10:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 S/C W/Holmon Moody Original Nascar build #508 Iron Block/heads (C5AE-H) Bal/Blu 427 Sideoiler; 780 Holley Dbl. Pump; 4 Speed Top Loader; AP Racing Bks; IRS; 15" Trigo pins
Not Ranked     
Default There can be only one!

The best?? Then; as now. Holman Moody Racing Yes they still build FE Side Oilers & others on request. HP + 6500/7000 rpm all day long!! I'm sure the others build top quality engines as well. But for my 2 cents. There can be only ONE If there was/had to be a 2nd choice. I'd go Blykins, smart man/operation

Last edited by Silversmith; 02-19-2012 at 04:54 PM..
Old 02-19-2012, 07:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversmith View Post
The best?? Then; as now. Holman & Moody Racing Yes they still build FE Side Oilers & others on request. HP + 6500/7000 rpm all day long!! I'm sure the others build top quality engines as well. But for my 2 cents. There can be only ONE If there was/had to be a 2nd choice. I'd go Blykins, smart man/operation

It's about time Holman Moody was mentioned, The original FE engine builders.
I asked Lee Holman a few years back about getting a cam for my FE. His reply" I'll can grind you the same cam we used in the Le'mans engines. I'll even have the same guy using the same cam grinder as was used in the 60's.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #766, FE V8, Toploader
Not Ranked     

I got mine at Carolina Machine Engines.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X #99 View Post
It's about time Holman Moody was mentioned, The original FE engine builders.
I asked Lee Holman a few years back about getting a cam for my FE. His reply" I'll can grind you the same cam we used in the Le'mans engines. I'll even have the same guy using the same cam grinder as was used in the 60's.
Just asking, but is that supposed to be a good thing?
Old 02-19-2012, 03:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyridin' View Post
Just asking, but is that supposed to be a good thing?
It is if you want an FE built to exact LeMans specs.

Never implied that HM is the best FE builder just the first.
Back in the sixties they were what Roush Yates is today. The biggest supplier of Ford racing parts with a direct line to the factory.

Sorry if I confused you.

BTW if money is no object, Roush Yates is the dominant Professional Ford racing engine builder.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X #99 View Post
BTW if money is no object, Roush Yates is the dominant Professional Ford racing engine builder.
Disclaimer: That doesn't necessarily make them the "best".
Old 02-19-2012, 03:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
Disclaimer: That doesn't necessarily make them the "best".
Roush Yates in North Carolina is different than Roush in Michigan, I wouldnt touch a Roush Michigan motor with a ten foot poll unless you want to pay for the name, Roush Yates top notch race motors = awesome, but to each is own.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 S/C W/Holmon Moody Original Nascar build #508 Iron Block/heads (C5AE-H) Bal/Blu 427 Sideoiler; 780 Holley Dbl. Pump; 4 Speed Top Loader; AP Racing Bks; IRS; 15" Trigo pins
Not Ranked     
Default 2nd Two cents

Yes, many other builder's may be considered equal to or better than hm But I have never heard/seen any other builder's FE engine; idle with 10 lbs of oil pressure. Blip! the throttle & have the engine pound 85(oil) psi & rev just as fast as any sbf. If you wern't looking at the engine, you would swear it was a sbf. My FE has the correct hm stamps, in the correct block positions. But BB paper(as 3rd owner/org. paperwork n/a) work shows a different cam, SS valves, etc. and a .05 bore/hone on the(C5AE-H)block during the refresh. Other aftermarket parts & present rev/performance make me feel certian! It was not rebuilt by hm! My 500+ hp is 500+hp; it also rev's like most other FE builds. Very strong! But put any 427 BB/FE next to a hm BB/FE and you will know where I'm comming from. Now I'm no expert engine builder. But when my next refresh is due. I'll be hard pressed, not to send my little AC's Hart. Back to where she took her 1st breath! I'll most likely due the refresh, sooner than later!!
Old 03-22-2012, 07:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4797 - Pond Aluminium 482CI
Not Ranked     

Hi,

I'm French living in France and I had a 63' 427ci that had been rebuilt by one of the manufacturer listed in this post. The engine had been very badly rebuilt, I've just drove it 4000 miles and it required a total new rebuilt !!!
I'm not alone in this case, 2x others French friends have the same problem as me with this same builder !!!
For us (French) who live 4500/5000 miles far from the US finding a good FE builder is not an easy task as you can imagine.

In mid-2011 I needed some parts for my clutch and my Toploader. I saw Brent's advertisment (B2-Motorsports LLC) on ClubCobra and decided to send an Email to Brent. Few minutes later I get an very precise answer about parts needed. Each time I sent an Email Brent replied quickly with very good suggestions. And of course Brent always replied even if I didn't purchased any parts to him. That's what I like with him his first goal is to help you.

In End 2011 when I needed a new FE engine I asked some estimates about an all aluminium 482Ci to manufacturers listed in this post (except the one that rebuild my previous 427 of course !!!).
I don't know why but I just get one answer and you know from who ? From Brent ! Meaning that the others probably thaught that French customers are not reliable or ??? I don't know.
Well I've exchanged many emails with Brent and I've decided to give him the build of my new engine.
Each time I had a question Brent replied even Saturday and Sunday !!!

I think it's one of the most important thing for me who lives very far from the US to know that I have a honest and very competent person in front of me.

Moreover I've rebuilt my old 427 2x weeks ago and each time I have a problem I sent Emails to Brent who replied with solutions or advices.

I'm so satisfied that I sent new customers to Brent (French friends of mine).

OliveR
Old 03-22-2012, 08:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA #690, FRPP 427 Boss engine
Not Ranked     

Best testimonial yet. Hard to beat that one.
Kirkham #690 289 FIA
Old 03-22-2012, 08:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There isn't a builder around with better customer service than Brent! I've done business with Brent in the past and wouldn't hestiate to give him my $$ in the future too.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC # 571, 472 Shelby aluminum "stroker " CSX # 299 from Gessford, 48 IDA Weber carburetors from Jim Inglese
Not Ranked     

OROBBE

I made the same very good experiences from Switzerland with George Anderson from Gessford (Gessford Machine Shop Inc)

I don't buy only an engine, I bought also a great service (also after some years)
and George stand behind his work and his words.

For me it's one of the most important thing for me who lives very far from the US to know that I have a honest and very competent person in front of me.

Walter

http://www.kreuchi-auto.ch
Old 03-22-2012, 09:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default A great manufacturer and builder..

Earlier in the thread, the mention was made of Pond Engine Blocks...one of the finest FE blocks available. Many builders, including Barry and Keith, use his blocks. Robert Pond of Robert Pond Motorsports (RPM) not only designs and casts FE blocks and heads, he also builds crate engines and has a great reputation for reliability and horsepower production. Very highly recommended.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4797 - Pond Aluminium 482CI
Not Ranked     

"gbilawsky", I agree with you (the 482Ci Brent is building for me is based on a Pond ALuminium short block) but as "cobra" said, for us, European customers who live very far from the US one of the most important thing is to know that we are considered like every others US customers with the same services and same quality.

Facts that some builders don't care for the moment as they have enough business in the US ... But how long can they work this way ? Some have understand that they can develop international business via the Internet and now even if you are 4000 / 6000 / 8000 miles far away informations travel very quickly !!!

OliveR
Old 03-23-2012, 02:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I´m living in germany and in 2010 I bought a 468FE with Pond iron block - built to my specs - from Keith Craft. KC / Lance answered all my mails - with lot of questions - friendly and capable. But most important: The motor is a dream ... driven a few thousend kilometers now without any problems (knocking @ wood) and much stronger than my old 434FE (390 stroker from another US builder, not KC / Barry / Brent / Gessford) which felt sick after 5 years / only 6.500 mls.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

Orobbe

Actually the foreign business is very good the past year or so as the dollar exchange rate is very favorable to foreigners---we have been shipping engines and components just about everywhere except Russia,China and Africa---with nearly 40 orders in progress about 30 percent are going overseas or Canada