Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-13-2011, 02:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Tnt engineering

Hi everybody,

Anybody already deals with TNT ENGINEERING (custom builder of FE Engine on EBAY) ?

Any feedbacks / comments ?

Thanks,

Andy
Old 11-13-2011, 08:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 brushed aluminum with Keith Craft 527C.I. all aluminum FE
Not Ranked     

Never heard of them. If they are reputable just google there name and you should find something. E-mail them and ask to talk with previouse customers.
What are you looking for we might be able to help you. It is seems to good to be true it probably is.

Thanks, Keith Craft
Old 11-14-2011, 05:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Not TNT Engineering - but I did get one of those ebay specials in here the other day

I'll let the photos do the talking first...but will say that it is very much a buyer beware world out there.

This engine came in from a customer who wanted me to check out his ebay acquisition. Truth be know, it's not that bad of a deal money wise. But it is definitely not anywhere near being what the ad claimed it to be.

The ad - with the seller's ID obliterated in case the guy is one of those lawyer types...very clearly states that this is a 428 engine with a buch of very clearly claimed parts and dimensions. No gray areas.

The customer was charged roughly twice the normal shipping costs, plus a $150 crating fee. At least the box is nice, and the engine arrived in good condition.

Once we started taking things apart it became very obvious that this was not looking like a 428. No "A" or "C" scratch in the bellhousing, no "428" cast in the water jackets either center or ends. Actually has a visible "352" cast into the end interior front jacket floor. All the date codes and casting numbers have been removed from this "service" block... We noticed a lot of hone grit/dirt in the cylinders. We did not run a full range of sonic tests, but spot checked it assembled and found a bunch of readings around .102 to .120, along with a few under .100 - notably .082 on the front wall. Just to be confident we calibrated the sonic meter against the machined "china wall".
Would it run - yes. Would it be durable - who's to say. Is it a 428 - no freaking way.

Since we know the block is bogus we checked the crank. It really is stamped "1U" and appears to be a real 428 crank. Cool. Ad claimes it is standard on both rods and mains - that is not true. Both bearings are clearly marked as .010 under Kings. A decent .010-.010 428 crank is worth half the sell price of the engine so I cannot understand the reasoning behing the "standard" claim.

The rods were said to be factory 428 parts with ARP bolts. They are factory passenger car rods - might have come from any non-CJ 428. But the bolts are standard rebuilder stuff - definitely not ARP. And the ones we removed just kinda fell out of the rod. I took a picture of ARP parts for comparison.

Heads are said to be GT390 and they have the exhaust pattern to match, along with some rudimentary port work. Valves were claimed to be Manley Severe Duty 2.06 and 1.65 and they are definitely not. Stampings match up to $4 rebuilder parts and they are stock sized 2.03 and 1.56. Guides have bronze liners installed and exhaust I examined have had the seat replaced. Springs were said to be doubles at 1.55 OD - they are single with dampers (an honest mistake?) and stock sized, with factory 2 piece retainers. I thought all my old GT390s came with CJ style single retainers - can somebody correct/check this? Pictures tell the tale:

I have LOTS more pictures, but its safe to say that this ebay 428 is not anywhere close to being legitimate - please, please, please be careful out there. There are not very many "super deals" in this hobby, and NONE of them are coming from ads like this!

Barry Rabotnick
Survivalmotorsports.com

"I can do that....."

Engine Masters Challenge Entries
91 octane - single 4bbl - mufflers
2008 - 429 cid FE HR - 675HP
2007 - 429 cid FE MR - 659HP
2006 - 434 cid FE MR - 678HP
2005 - 505 cid FE MR - 752HP
Old 11-14-2011, 06:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2007 BDR FR Boss 302
Not Ranked     

Wow!!!! This really makes you wonder about the honesty of the sellers I fear use ebay. This could all be an honest mistake, but I doubt it. More proof once again to only use a reputable builder when it comes to the motor. Too easy to hide all the false claims until it is too late. Great job Barry in documenting the false claims on this motor. Barry: which book did you publish on how to build a FE motor as I would like to get one as a guide to my build.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

ebay can be a great tool for getting your message out to the marketplace. And its sellers like this one that screw the business up for everybody - buyers get robbed and lose faith and interest, competitors have to deal with phony claims and impossible pricing.

The book is "How to Build Max Performance Ford FEs" - it's a Car Tech title that can be purchased online, at Amazon, or bookstores like Barnes and Noble...

"I can do that....."

Old 11-14-2011, 07:18 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_R View Post
The book is "How to Build Max Performance Ford FEs" - it's a Car Tech title that can be purchased online, at Amazon, or bookstores like Barnes and Noble...
It's an excellent reference as well. I picked one up as soon as they came out. Thanks Barry!
Old 11-14-2011, 08:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA #690, FRPP 427 Boss engine
Not Ranked     

Great thread, but I'm just visiting. For some reason, I view every thread where lovehamr posts...
Kirkham #690 289 FIA
Old 11-14-2011, 11:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Barry-thanks for taking the time to document the hard numbers.
Great eye-opener.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Is the buyer requesting a refund in any way from the seller? Or maybe from Paypal?
Old 11-15-2011, 03:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I believe that he intends to request a refund.

"I can do that....."

Old 11-15-2011, 03:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Rabotnick, check your email brother....
Old 11-15-2011, 04:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

From the picture of the lower end with the crank shaft still installed, it appears the webbing at the mains does have the reinf like the 428 CJ block. I thought this was unique to the 428 CJ and not the other blocks. Is this correct?
Old 11-15-2011, 04:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No, other blocks had them as well. I had a C5 390 block that had them, along with a wad of big truck blocks.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the info Brent. I'm learning something new all the time when it comes to these FE engines.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I know you're a Mopar man.....we'll let it slide...
Old 11-15-2011, 07:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 brushed aluminum with Keith Craft 527C.I. all aluminum FE
Not Ranked     

Why do these people buy this shiot from people that do not have a clue. The price should be a dead give away. Like Barry said it is pretty easy to make sure you have a true 428 block which came in 2 web and three web. The early 428 had w ebs and the 428CJ and some early blocks had three webs mains. You better know what you are looking for and at when you do FE stuff. Ford did so much different stuff back then. Like Barry has shown a somic check is one quick way to see if the block is a over bored 390. There are a lot truck 360/390 blocks that are three web blocks but not the thicker cylinder needed in a 428 bore size block.
I have even seen a few idiots try to bore a 428 block the standard 427 bore size and cross bolt it. Just check people out on E-Bay, there are good people on there and scam artist. We advertise on there as well but our stuff is a little higher than this stuff but I sure hope better.
I bet Barry had to bust his customers bubble on that nice over bored 390 engine he got. Look at the great work on those heads, I bet that deal would make a bout 250HP. Just kills me what you will see past on to people. I have seen them come and go.

Good luck, Keith Craft