Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 02-01-2012, 04:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: factory five mkIII roadster 445 fe quick fuel 750 q series,irs
Not Ranked     
Question fe v belt question

i was wondering if any one would have a part number fora a v belt for a fe?.
i have the following
1) edelbrock 8805 waterpump
2) march 1552 waterpump pulley 6 inch
3) PROFESIONAL PRODUCTS SFI 9000 BALANCER WITH SINGLE GROOVE PULLEY BELIEVE IT IS A 7 INCH PULLEY
4) PA PERFORMANCE 95 AMP 3 G ALT WITH 2 11/16 V PULLEY
5) SHELBY ALT BRACKETS.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:32 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I think mine should work for you.

Last edited by patrickt; 11-02-2016 at 12:17 PM..
Old 02-01-2012, 04:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: factory five mkIII roadster 445 fe quick fuel 750 q series,irs
Not Ranked     
Question

patrickt, i noticed in your picture that it appears your only running the top alt mount is this true if so is there no need for the bottm mount?.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:54 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench87 View Post
patrickt, i noticed in your picture that it appears your only running the top alt mount is this true if so is there no need for the bottm mount?.
I cropped that shot for a better view of the Gatorback belt. You need a mount at the top and bottom. Here's the full pic:

Last edited by patrickt; 11-02-2016 at 12:17 PM..
Old 02-01-2012, 04:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

so you are just running the bolt and spacer to the block and not the bottom mount that mounts to the waterpump?.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:04 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
so you are just running the bolt and spacer to the block and not the bottom mount that mounts to the waterpump?.
Right. The alternator just rotates around the bottom bolt, with the bottom bolt acting as the mid-point of a circle. The top bracket is the portion of the circumference of the circle that tightens up the belt by adjusting the total distance from the water pump and balancer pulleys. Super simple design.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

good to know that cleans it up a bit, thanks for the part number now i can go into a parts store with a actual number, alot of times if you just have a measurement they dont know how to cross ref. the good year site shows it as a 45.500 with a top width of 0.44
Old 02-01-2012, 05:28 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Now I do run a simple brace over to the bottom water pump bolt for a little added support. Here's a better shot of it (this was taken when I was replacing my old POS balancer with a nice new ROMAC balancer, that's why it's different):

Last edited by patrickt; 11-02-2016 at 12:18 PM..
Old 02-01-2012, 05:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

here is a picture of my 445, i just painted it last week it is still at the engine builders, i am ready to take it home i was just looking at the water pump and allternator to see what else i need.
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2012, 05:52 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
here is a picture of my 445, i just painted it last week it is still at the engine builders, i am ready to take it home i was just looking at the water pump and allternator to see what else i need.
Personally, I really like the old surge tank look. Remember if you mount your ignition coil any way but straight up and down get one that is not oil filled else it will cause intermittent shorts and drive you up the wall.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley Cobra Kit -428 Fe Built by Clayton Racing Engines
Not Ranked     

I would not run the underdrive pulleys on your FE , you run the risk of poor water flow at slow speeds and as well as to slow of the alternator. I called March about this problem because it is a problem and they know about it : but there is know warning on the box or there ads. I ask them why they did not make it clear , there answer was it is for RACE APPLICATION ONLY. I had a machine shop make a custom pulley to match the March pulleys a full 7.25 inchs , problem solved . .
Old 02-01-2012, 03:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question

i like the look of the old surge tank to, i have one my problem is i have a ron davis radiator the outlet comes out the side and makes a 90 i have a degas tank that mounts to the passenger side f panel the hose runs inside the upper fender well. i have the msd blaster 3 coil. my other issue is the canton oil filter adapter on the factory five you have to run the short oil filter because of clearance issues with the 4 inch round frame tube. i would like to get the remote set up and move the filter to the front.

i run underdrive pulleys on my 342 since 2005 never had a issue will that little difference in pulley size really matter?.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:49 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
i run underdrive pulleys on my 342 since 2005 never had a issue will that little difference in pulley size really matter?.
Yeah, it can. BUT, I would just put the pulleys on that you have and wouldn't think too much about it. Just remember if you have a heat load gain problem at idle you'll know the first thing to change (and swapping pulleys is a twenty minute job).
Old 02-01-2012, 06:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: # 757 ERA 427 SC , 482 Al. big block
Not Ranked     

Bulletbrown .... not going to argue on the under drive pulleys as every case/engine is different , but I`ve been running the March under drive units on my 482 for over two years with no overheating issues ... both on and off the track . At VIR last summer , I saw 190 to 195 on the track and 195 to 200 sitting on pit road . Around town , I normally run 180 to 190 when moving and up to about 200 sitting still . This is with ambients at upper 90`s to low 100`s down here . However , there were some things done that most people won`t do , or caution you to not do . Since Robert Pond built the engine and said this was what should be done , that`s what I did .
If it ever does become an issue , I`ll just up the idle speed with my right foot when stopped .
Old 02-02-2012, 03:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Wrench 87 easy why

Wrench87 Get your pulleys and brakets on the motor. Then get a piece of nylon rope and have it go around all the pulleys. Hold the to ends togeather with the adjustment for the alt 1/3 from bottom. Measure the rope and you have the correct length of the belt. First 2 numbers are width, last 3 numbers are length with 5 number belts. The other thing is making sure that the pulleys are inline. With the rope check for this too, if not, it is easier to do this with the motor outside the car. Rick L.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

hi rick, i know how to measurethe belt like you suggested but i think it is easier to have a part number so the parts guy can cross reference.
it is hard to find good parts guys these days they have to fill in all the blanks that the computer screen asks them. i went to rock auto and looked up a 72 f 100 with a 390 and they must have listed 20 different belts different manafacturers and different set ups, now i have a starting point.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #647 brushed
Not Ranked     

Wrench87

I just went through that process a couple of months ago. I tried the string/rope way and ordered a belt from Summit. It came out short.
So I just went to Napa and got three belts of different sizes, went home, took me a minute to find the corredt on, then returned the other two... Pretty easy that way.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: