Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-13-2012, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default TKO and 6056 bellhousing - not enough room for fork

I am having a lot of trouble with getting enough space between the throwout bearing and the pressure plate. I installed a McLeod 360802 pressure plate and 260571 disc. It's a quick time 6056 bellhousing. The clutch fork is a 7515 ford. I have the pivot ball at it's bottom most point and yet I cannot get more than 0.050 clearance and that's with the fork pushing up against the bell housing. I've talked to a few vendors and everyone seems to be stumped as to why I'm having this issue. Hopefully someone here has seen it, or will recognize a dumb mistake on my part. Any and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2012, 09:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

Have you called Mike Forte's?

Consider a hydraulic throwout bearing? These are less trouble than they are made out to be. Install, adjust, and drive.

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 03-13-2012, 10:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: factory five mkIII roadster 445 fe quick fuel 750 q series,irs
Not Ranked     

do you remember when you bought your bellhousing?, i purchased one from mike forte a few years back and it was built to the wrong spec?, mine was the gold anodized one. i think mike has made a spacer to bring the tranny back. i sent mine back to quicktime and he replaced it the new one which was black.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I purchased everything from Mike and he's puzzled as well. My bellhousing is black powder coated and I measured the depth to be in spec. I am considering a HTO. Mike thought if I am already tight on space then it may not work. I have about 3" from the bellhousing to the diaphragm. Which HTO do you recommend?
Old 03-14-2012, 04:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

I wouldn't recommend a HTOB in any scenario....

But if you decide to go that way, you would probably have to use a bearing that's integrated into the bearing retainer, instead of a slip-on.

I suppose I'm not seeing/understanding the issue. You have clearance between the bearing and the pressure plate and you have room for the fork to push forward, right?
Old 03-14-2012, 04:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I do hope that you have a pretty small master cylinder....with 3200 lbs clamping force, that pedal pressure is going to be a punk....hahaha

I usually use 2200-2400 lbs clamping force for my 11" FE/SBF stuff.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have a customer with the exact same problem. I have had him ship the parts back here for me to inspect. I also have ordered another comparable assembly in process right now for comparison's sake. I will report back once I figure out what's going on.

"I can do that....."

Engine Masters Challenge Entries
91 octane - single 4bbl - mufflers
2008 - 429 cid FE HR - 675HP
2007 - 429 cid FE MR - 659HP
2006 - 434 cid FE MR - 678HP
2005 - 505 cid FE MR - 752HP
Old 03-14-2012, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I've went round and round with Quicktime over their 6057 bell and a Long style pressure plate. Things that used to fit a year or so ago don't fit anymore...

However, this is the first complaint that I've heard of the 6056....but I'm not really for sure what the issue is here.

In an application where the clutch fork moves to the front of the car, using a late Ford style throw out bearing, there doesn't have to be the clearance that there needs to be with say a Long style pressure plate and a fork that moves towards the rear.

If you have .050-.060" clearance, between the bearing and the pressure plate and there is sufficient room for the fork to move forward, there shouldn't be an issue.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_R View Post
I have a customer with the exact same problem. I have had him ship the parts back here for me to inspect. I also have ordered another comparable assembly in process right now for comparison's sake. I will report back once I figure out what's going on.
I look forward to reading about the results. At least I'm not the only one.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
I do hope that you have a pretty small master cylinder....with 3200 lbs clamping force, that pedal pressure is going to be a punk....hahaha

I usually use 2200-2400 lbs clamping force for my 11" FE/SBF stuff.
I agree, which is another reason to figure something out so that I can hook up hydraulics.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
What did you find? I'm curious as to which pressure plate they are using as well.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Working on it tomorrow - waaaaay too many projects going on at one time.

Just got one FE & TKO 600 package assembled for a shipment to Germany & using it for comparison purposes. That one went together without any drama at all using the McLeod 12" diaphragm plate and has adequate travel for & aft using the McLeod fork.

"I can do that....."

Engine Masters Challenge Entries
91 octane - single 4bbl - mufflers
2008 - 429 cid FE HR - 675HP
2007 - 429 cid FE MR - 659HP
2006 - 434 cid FE MR - 678HP
2005 - 505 cid FE MR - 752HP
Old 03-24-2012, 09:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Working on it tomorrow - waaaaay too many projects going on at one time.

Just got one FE & TKO 600 package assembled for a shipment to Germany & using it for comparison purposes. That one went together without any drama at all using the McLeod 12" diaphragm plate and has adequate travel for & aft using the McLeod fork.
Which McLeod fork did you use?
Old 03-24-2012, 10:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A McLeod #16932 is the fork to use for a small input application....such as a Toploader or a TKO 500/600.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison 427SC 302 smallblock. 431 stroker in the works, tremec 3550
Not Ranked     

Or McLeod # 16924, if you are still using the pivot ball on the right side of the bellhousing.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Glad you posted that Tom. I forgot that Greg is using a fork that pivots on the passenger side.

In that case, he would need a fork for a '99-up Mustang application, as the Quicktime bellhousings have a different dimension from the pivot ball to the throw out bearing C/L. The 16924 is for an older Fox style application and won't have the right dimension.

If I remember correctly, Greg is using the correct fork from Ford and should work just fine.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Cimino View Post
Or McLeod # 16924, if you are still using the pivot ball on the right side of the bellhousing.
Isn't that only for the t56 transmission? Otherwise the pivot point would be off.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It won't work for any BBF Quicktime application.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: factory five mkIII roadster 445 fe quick fuel 750 q series,irs
Not Ranked     

i have a ford fork i got from mike forte,i ran the same on my 342 it is part number E6ZR-7515-AA i believe it is for the early cars mike makes a extendor do you know if this will work with my quicktime 6056 bellhousing for my 445 fe
i am using the ram big block chevy clutch with ram aluminum flywheel and a ford throw out bearing?. here is some pictures
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2012, 03:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No, it won't work for a big block application. The big block Quicktime bellhousings are modeled to use late model Mustang clutch forks...99-04. Your fork is a Fox Mustang fork....

If I remember correctly, the difference is the distance from the pivot pocket to the centerline of where the throw out bearing is.