Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-10-2012, 04:57 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default 427 Balancer with the Single Integral Pulley

I've seen these at swap meets. It's an original 427 balancer with the single integral pulley, but yours doesn't look like this.

Last edited by patrickt; 11-03-2016 at 09:27 AM..
Old 06-10-2012, 09:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KIRKHAM 427 S/C, SHELBY 427 ALUM. STROKER
Not Ranked     

I see what looks like the timing pointer. (chromed)
Old 06-10-2012, 02:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

The timing pointer you see is my old FE pointer I had installed trying to help find marks on this balancer. Once we got it off, sure enough it had timing degree marks on it, but they were microscopic and full of paint. Fortunately, we did confirm it was timed at 18 initial, so that's good. The new balancer is installed along with a new Edelbrock water pump, new t-stat and the electric t-stat in the intake. The car did not have a thermostat in it, so I think that was our core cooling problem. Its all back together, sealant is drying now and barring any issues, the owner is headed to Tulsa this week.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Update for the peanut gallery. Car did not do well upon restart with the new parts and t-stat (which was supposed to be a 180F but opened at 192F in a pot of water.) Once the car warmed up (which took about 7-8 minutes) temps just continued to escalate as it idled in the driveway. Eventually it got up to 110C, so I killed it, let the fans run 2 minutes, started it and the temp dropped like a rock to 80C. So from that I decided it simply needed more heat dissipation at the radiator. The CSX doesn't leave much room for the Taurus fan or a thick shroud so we ordered the Zirgo 3630 cfm 16" fan from Summit. I installed it and I think we now have the issue in our sights. The car idles at 200F with an outdoor temp of 85F and 30% humidity. Up and down the road in spirited driving it runs right at 195F, which ironically is just a tad above t-stat temp.

We're going to test a couple more t-stats, do some timing and tuning and give the engine a chance to run a few days and see how things look then. Side note....test driving this car makes me realize what it means to be "sorted out." Compared to my Hurricane this car is rough on so many levels, including two things you generally don't want at the same time: Terrible brakes and a throttle linkage that stuck wide open in 3rd gear.

Last edited by elmariachi; 06-15-2012 at 08:40 AM..
Old 06-15-2012, 09:07 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmariachi View Post
The CSX doesn't leave much room for the Taurus fan or a thick shroud so we ordered the Zirgo 3630 cfm 16" fan from Summit. I installed it and I think we now have the issue in our sights.
Ya know the Zirgo 3630 instructions call for 10 gauge wire and a 40 amp relay....
Old 06-15-2012, 09:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Compared to my Hurricane this car is rough on so many levels, including two things you generally don't want at the same time: Terrible brakes and a throttle linkage that stuck wide open in 3rd gear.
SHhhhhhh! You'll give the CSX wannabes terminal bowel!
Just means you gotta pick the right builder-hey how about you??
Old 06-15-2012, 09:26 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I don't think I would have the presence of mind to quickly turn the ignition off when the throttle stuck wide open. To throw in the clutch, yes -- and I have the rev limiter specifically for that case. I'm curious, how did you handle the WOT?
Old 06-15-2012, 09:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Ya know the Zirgo 3630 instructions call for 10 gauge wire and a 40 amp relay....
You went and looked that up?

I plugged in a 40a relay for that circuit and the existing wiring should suffice for what appears to be about a 10-12 amp draw.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:36 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
You went and looked that up?
Yep, it's my nature.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I don't think I would have the presence of mind to quickly turn the ignition off when the throttle stuck wide open. I'm curious, how did you handle the WOT?
Well I thought about it for a few minutes and decided "Shxt...I guess this is gonna hurt when I hit that tree."

In all seriousness...crap like this is instinctive for me. Gas pedal felt funny, engine revving, throttle sticking, key off, clutch in, stomp gas pedal hard hoping for a release, all within a second. Sorta like landing in the Hudson River I guess, ya just do it......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
SHhhhhhh! You'll give the CSX wannabes terminal bowel!
Just means you gotta pick the right builder-hey how about you??
My future is NOT in sorting out Cobras.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:25 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Gas pedal felt funny, engine revving, throttle sticking, key off, clutch in, stomp gas pedal hard hoping for a release, all within a second. Sorta like landing in the Hudson River I guess, ya just do it......
OK, spotting it before it sprung on you gets a silver star. A gold star answer would have been "I was barefoot at the time, so I just hooked my big toe under the back of the pedal and pulled it back up -- and I don't think we even hit 110."
Old 06-15-2012, 12:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold - Shelby Cobra CSX6045, 468 ci all aluminum Shelby engine
Not Ranked     

Who put this car together? I think the problem is with who did the final installation, not the 6000 series in general. CSX 6045 has been trouble-free and stays about 85 degees C even in traffic on a 90 degree F day. No issues with brakes or throttle linkage.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
OK, spotting it before it sprung on you gets a silver star. A gold star answer would have been "I was barefoot at the time, so I just hooked my big toe under the back of the pedal and pulled it back up -- and I don't think we even hit 110."
I didn't have any underwear on and didn't crap in my britches, does that get me any manly points?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
Who put this car together? I think the problem is with who did the final installation, not the 6000 series in general. CSX 6045 has been trouble-free and stays about 85 degees C even in traffic on a 90 degree F day. No issues with brakes or throttle linkage.
Fair point, I wasn't dissing Shelby, but this car specifically. As far as the roller, it was lacking as well: Leaking master cylinders (loose lines), suspension setup issues, loose sway bar, poor door fitment etc. Not a big deal, just a bit surprised given the price tag.

I won't name who put this car together (you probably know who you are), but you need to stop assembling these cars because you are not qualified. A marine balancer on the engine with illegible timing marks, no timing pointer, no thermostat, loose spark plugs, loose oil dipstick tube, wrong oil pan for a low-clearance application, loose motor mount, poorly routed/unsecured gauge capillary tube lines, steering shaft binding on header, binding throttle linkage etc.

Shelby gets a 10 for ride and handling though. This baby is smooth and corners like a dream, gotta love that IRS.

Last edited by elmariachi; 06-15-2012 at 01:45 PM..
Old 06-15-2012, 01:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
A marine balancer on the engine with illegible timing marks, no timing pointer, no thermostat, loose spark plugs, loose oil dipstick tube, wrong oil pan for a low-clearance application, loose motor mount, poorly routed/unsecured gauge capillary tube lines, steering shaft binding on header, binding throttle linkage etc.
Minor inconveniences.

This thread makes me appreciate the folks who assembled my car.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:50 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
I'll say. Perhaps they used that detailed CSX manual that is so readily provided. Or that was being written by the usual cast around here, and then, of course, never appears.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Minor inconveniences.

Yep. I enjoy doing this type of work, but feel bad for a novice who didn't know what he bought and that it wasn't nearly street ready. He was headed for Tulsa with it when I advised no bueno. I think it has eroded his confidence in it so I hope we can get it all sorted out.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I'll say. Perhaps they used that detailed CSX manual that is so readily provided. Or that was being written by the usual cast around here, and then, of course, never appears.
There's no need for a manual when you've been restoring originals for a few decades.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:11 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
There's no need for a manual when you've been restoring originals for a few decades.
Awww, if that were only true. Now the Kirkhams have a "kinda" manual, but they abandoned it, but it's certainly better than nothing. BUT, if you have a CSX roller you are basically SOL. And the morons on here who repeatedly post "I"m writing a CSX manual and it will be available shortly" should just STFU and admit they can't do it.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
A marine balancer on the engine with illegible timing marks, no timing pointer, no thermostat, loose spark plugs, loose oil dipstick tube, wrong oil pan for a low-clearance application, loose motor mount, poorly routed/unsecured gauge capillary tube lines, steering shaft binding on header, binding throttle linkage etc.
I'm not sure why your OCD-like fixation on an assembly manual would have helped in this situation (e.g., loose and missing engine parts).
Old 06-15-2012, 02:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Jim does it have both throttle return springs? If it is set up like an original per the chassis manual it will have a tab above the gas pedal with a spring returning the pedal and another on the carburetor. It must have been binding somewhere in the mechanism if it stuck.
As we know having a manual doesn't make it the best car ;-)