Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-29-2013, 03:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance aluminum427
Not Ranked     
Default oil pressure

I have a Shelby block it holds about 75 lbs at start an runs about 60 lbs when hot an idles at about 45 to 50 lbs been holding this for 7 years. I run 20W50 racing oil. Great motor Flip
Old 03-29-2013, 04:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold - Shelby Cobra CSX6045, 468 ci all aluminum Shelby engine
Not Ranked     

Coach Mike - Since Keith built your engine have you asked him what your oil pressure should be?
Old 03-29-2013, 06:16 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Cobra - Keith Craft 428 stoker, 600 HP/614 Trq
Send a message via AIM to COACH MIKE Send a message via Yahoo to COACH MIKE
Not Ranked     
Default oil pressure

Thanks for info. I will contact builder. Mike
Old 03-29-2013, 01:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

We had the same problem, bad hot oil pressure in one engine years ago.

Any large clearance within the motor will give low hot oil pressure.

In our case, rods and mains were in the middle of spec, BUT cam bearings were too loose.

Gold Certified Holden Technician
Old 03-29-2013, 01:26 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

It wouldn't be as much of a nuisance if the engine wasn't already delivered, installed, and running in his car. It's not like a case of "my horn won't blow." Considering how much dough we drop on these POS FE engines, you would think they would all be burned in on the dyno, run in nice and hot, and pressures and leaks checked and double checked. But NOOOOO.... But wtf, I'm not even sure were it came from.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:50 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Patrick,
Take a breath and don't stroke out on us. We need you!
It is what it is, and he needs any help and/or advice we can provide. Yes, it may suck in the end, or maybe not. I think we all owe it to a fellow member to chase every corner. That's why we are here, right?
Old 03-30-2013, 10:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

It may have a thin break in oil, in the engine, and we still do not know if the gauge is accurate. To early to tell if there is a real problem.

Warm idle oil pressure will drop off the most if there is a lot of clearance someplace, but it is not necessarily a good indicator of the likely hood of an engine failure. I have had people claim that the oil pressure at higher rpm is more indicative of will the engine fail.

I had an old junk truck I used to haul firewood. It idled at 5 psi and only carried 30 psi at high rpm. I ran the crap out of it for 7 years. It was drove to the junk yard under its own power. I realize this does not compare to a $12+K FE. Just saying people may put more focus on oil pressure than it deserves.

Last edited by olddog; 03-30-2013 at 10:44 AM..
Old 03-30-2013, 10:55 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog View Post
It idled at 5 psi and only carried 30 psi at high rpm...
FEs were absolutely notorious for low hot idle pressures. For the most part, it meant nothing. Just like the "commercially acceptable" amount of oil that would leak from them.

Last edited by patrickt; 11-03-2016 at 09:44 AM..
Old 03-30-2013, 11:45 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
FEs were absolutely notorious for low hot idle pressures. For the most part, it meant nothing. Just like the "commercially acceptable" amount of oil that would leak from them.

Yep, I've had 390's, 406's, and 427's back then. That's when we all ran plain old 30-weight and the tolerances were pretty loose, compared to these days. Oil pressures were 30 psi at best, and sometimes much less. Oh, and they all leaked oil from somewhere. That's why we all had those sheet metal drip-pans under our cars.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Oil Leaks

FE's and old Harleys have a lot in common.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary with 482 KC/SO, TKO600,IRS Jag/AMP, 3.54 Salisbury PL,
Not Ranked     

A few months ago I received my new KC482 Pons Sideoiler block with the new forged crankshaft.
After assembling the engine and installing it in the car I was surprised at the low oil pressure I was getting.
I drove the car for about 30 minutes do do the break in and when hot at idle oil pressure would come down to less than 20 PSI with 20-50 Oil. This being a new engine I knew something was wrong.

I drained the oil , removed the oil pan and found one bolt from the oil pump cover laying in the oil pan and the other 3 bolts of the Melling HV oilpump could be undone just with the fingers.
Luckily the oil pump is submerged in oil, so it did not take in air, but some pressure was seeping out of the cover.
I took the oil pump cover to have it shaved flat and installed it with the bolts tightened at 19 ft/lb torque using red locktite .
Pressure is now 40 PSI at idle and very stable across the rpm band, between 40 and 60 psi hot.
The bolts on the Melling pumps as they come from the factory may not be tightened as should so I would check that.I also removed the aluminum tag with the model code.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Pal-Please stop dragging out the ancient history lessons. That stuff doesn't apply to the 1.2 to 1.5HP engines we (well most of us ) have today.
We use small journals, bearings, better rings and much tighter clearances. Plus oil is 1000 times better.
Only the newbs are impressed with you archival skills...
that's not helpful info anymore.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eljaro View Post
The bolts on the Melling pumps as they come from the factory may not be tightened as should so I would check that.I also removed the aluminum tag with the model code.
That's surprising to hear from a KC motor. Checking a new pump or blueprinting it is SOP with good builders.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary with 482 KC/SO, TKO600,IRS Jag/AMP, 3.54 Salisbury PL,
Not Ranked     

KC didnīt supply the oilpump since this was a short block. Pump came out of the box and I installed it myself. Should have checked the bolts beforehand.
Anyway, one place oil pressure can leak out is the oil pump and if you have an oil filter take off and did not seal it right or with too much RTV sealant, pressure can push its way out somewhere it should not.
Just one place Mike should have a look.
ERA Chas likes this.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:24 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eljaro View Post
KC didnīt supply the oilpump since this was a short block. Pump came out of the box and I installed it myself. Should have checked the bolts beforehand.
Anyway, one place oil pressure can leak out is the oil pump and if you have an oil filter take off and did not seal it right or with too much RTV sealant, pressure can push its way out somewhere it should not.
Just one place Mike should have a look.
NOW we're back on topic. Good info for you to check Mike. See msg #8 from Keith C as well. Not sure of your setup, but there are threads here about removing your oil pan if it comes to that. As stated above, pull a pressure check straight from the engine with a reliable gauge, from cold to hot.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:34 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
Pal-Please stop dragging out the ancient history lessons.
But one must have an appreciation for whence forth one has been in order to appreciate the journey. Much less what lies over the horizon.... And besides, Bernica likes it.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
But one must have an appreciation for whence forth one has been in order to appreciate the journey. Much less what lies over the horizon.... And besides, Bernica likes it.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:22 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
"Each generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it."

- George Orwell

One scoop chocolate, one scoop vanilla.....Don't waste my time!
Old 03-30-2013, 02:30 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernica View Post
- George Orwell
Little known fact around here, but "Some Thoughts on the Common Toad" is one of Chas' all time favorite books.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernica View Post
"Each generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it."
Mike has had his motor down to the crank-and this is the replacement short block.
He needs no advice about pan removal or reliable gauges-he's well beyond the 101 stuff.
Dispensing advice is only valuable if you've been around frequently enough to know who you're talking to. Apparently, 70 posts a year is not that frequency.