Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By FWB
  • 2 Post By patrickt

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 05:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary 482 all aluminum Tunnelport Self built and owned since 1980 frame#0000017 and owner of frame CCX 33961 looking for an FIA body to go with it
Not Ranked     
Default Which Roller Rockers?

I am in the process of gathering parts to build a 496 Tunnelport engine. I have a set of Dove aluminum heads and I don't want to use T&D rockers because I don't want to machine these heads for obvious reasons (leaks)
I want to use Harland Sharp rockers. Which one should I use, the bushed ones

[url=http://www.harlandsharp.com/fe_ford.htm] Bushed
or the needlebearing ones

[url=http://www.harlandsharp.com/ford_nb.htm] Needlebearing
This will be used primarily for a street car with limited track use.

Also will I have problems using head studs with these from clearance with the endstands?
Old 05-07-2013, 05:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

Did you know T & D also makes a rocker set up like the original ford.....doesn't require head machining
Old 05-07-2013, 07:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

Brent is using T&D on my build. I've heard from several people they are one of the best.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:49 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

FWIW, Dennis is still showing Erson Roller Rockers available for $780 a set.
Roller Rockers - DSC Motorsports
Old 05-07-2013, 09:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

For a hipo engine like this, I would go T&D....there are two different part numbers available, one doesn't require machining and bolt on just like normal. Plus you can run a less expensive ball/ball pushrod and even run the oil through them.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What happened to my post?????????

It was #3 and I recommended the H/S set with bushings.
I ran them for decades in street and race conditions without a failure.
I also said Fred's recommendation had merit-was it deleted??
Old 05-07-2013, 10:03 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
What happened to my post?????????
I also said Fred's recommendation had merit-was it deleted??
Yep. I got elevated to Administrator status and I now delete anything I deem to be feckless. And I don't even tell people when I do it....
Old 05-07-2013, 10:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A 14,646 posts you have only been elevated to the PRINCE of Feckless...
That's up from Village Idiot BTW.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Careful there...

Tunnel Ports are different - probably need to check with Sharp to see if they still offer the proper stand heights and shim package for them. The "normal" T&D package will not fit correctly without a bit of "lovin'....

"I can do that....."

Engine Masters Challenge Entries
91 octane - single 4bbl - mufflers
2008 - 429 cid FE HR - 675HP
2007 - 429 cid FE MR - 659HP
2006 - 434 cid FE MR - 678HP
2005 - 505 cid FE MR - 752HP
Old 05-07-2013, 12:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

are you seeing something i'm not seeing? tunnel port? or is this your build Barry, so you already know this....

oh and Chas, i am guilty also of posting and forgetting to hit the submit button....
ERA Chas likes this.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am in the process of gathering parts to build a 496 Tunnelport engine.

1st sentence in OP.

Last edited by 601HP; 05-07-2013 at 12:42 PM..
Old 05-07-2013, 02:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

You mean a little lovin' isn't SOP?
Old 05-07-2013, 04:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary 482 all aluminum Tunnelport Self built and owned since 1980 frame#0000017 and owner of frame CCX 33961 looking for an FIA body to go with it
Not Ranked     

So there is a T&D set that bolts on? I thought Tunnelports were the same as MR's as far as spacing, is it a matter of just using the right shims? What do they run I can get the needlebearing HS's for $950

Last edited by cobrarkc; 05-07-2013 at 04:58 PM..
Old 05-07-2013, 05:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

barry shows them on his web site for 935.00, don't know about spacing on the tunnels, never had a set....as i'm seeing and always thought too much BS in dealing with TP's...its bad enough keeping an FE but the TP has even less available for it

Last edited by FWB; 05-07-2013 at 05:19 PM..
Old 05-07-2013, 05:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Are these bushed or needlebearings?
Old 05-07-2013, 07:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrarkc View Post
What do they run I can get the needlebearing HS's for $950
I'll say again-you DON'T want needles. Bushed is stout enough with good oiling. I raced the crap out of them for a long time.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:38 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Oh, to understand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
I'll say again-you DON'T want needles. Bushed is stout enough with good oiling. I raced the crap out of them for a long time.
But if you care to make an informed decision, and to understand the issue, read on...

Quote:
Why Ersons Have Needle Bearings
April 7 2003 at 1:10 PM RobbMc (Login RobbMc)
Members

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been asked why Erson rockers use needle bearings, why the shafts and stands are included and why they cost so much.

Yes, I will admit that with pressurized oil and moderate loads, aluminum on steel will work, kind of. I still say it's a compromise. Here are the real reasons some companies run aluminum rockers directly on steel shafts: (I know this because these things were considered when I designed the Erson rockers):

1. Bearings cost money.
2. If needle bearings are used, the shaft must be case hardened at least .030" deep. This is difficult and expensive because the shafts are so long and tend to warp during heat treat. Plus it's expensive and you have to grind them twice and straighten them between grinding.
3. It's difficult to find needle bearings that will fit the stock diameter shaft so that means custom shafts need to be made.
4. Even if you can find needle bearings that will fit the stock diameter shaft, you still need to heat treat them for needle bearings.
5. If you use stock diameter shafts and machine the rocker bodies for bearings or bushings, the bodies get too thin around the bearings. So you are back to making custom shafts.
6. If you make custom shafts, then you also need custom stands to hold the shafts, and that costs more money.
7. Unlike stud mounted rockers, FE rockers oil through the shafts and thus have pressurized oil to the pivot point rather than splash fed oiling. In theory, almost any material can be used as a bearing material as long as you have a constant supply of pressurized oil.

So, as you can see, there are many reasons that most companies simply bore the I.D. of the rockers to fit the stock shafts. Most of them involve saving money and being able to sell rockers at a lower price. Their rockers will work, more or less, if the oil supply is constant and the loads kept low. However, I talk to customers almost daily (FE and Mopar) who have switched to rockers with bushings or bearings because solid roller springs have caused their old rockers to either wear too fast (constant lash changes) or seize on the shafts and break.

Have you ever messed around with Olds V8's? They used these silly little aluminum pivots in the stock pedestal style rockers. Even with stock springs, the pivots wore out after about 75 or 100,000 miles. And since the rockers aren't adjustable, they start making all kinds of ticking noises. If you run stiff valve springs, the aluminum pivots where out so fast that you have to carry spares in your glove box. I've even seen them gall so bad that it looks like aluminum has been welded to the steel rocker body.

Anyway, that's why Erson rockers ended up with needle bearings, custom shafts and custom stands with end supports. And THAT is why they cost $625. Still, if rockers without bearings or bushings will work for you, stay with them and save some money so you can buy other things. Besides, those damned Erson rockers are always on back order.
A98Coupe and lippy like this.