Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.


Welcome to Club Cobra.

You are currently viewing the world's largest resource for Shelby related information as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!


Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

  •  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
August 2022
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31      

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree5Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-09-2013, 03:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: May 2013
Cobra Make, Engine:
Posts: 5
Not Ranked     
Default 427 Side Oiler, good price?

I've posted this in another forum, but figured I'd like some input from ya'll too...

I ran across someone that has a 1966 427 side oiler medium riser for sale for $6500 complete, carb to oil pan. It was apparantly owned by a ford engineer that had it in a 57 t-coupe that he drag raced. He claims it ran before it was pulled from the coupe (20-30 years ago).

How he himself got it...well, he says his friend that owned it fell on hard times, and he paid off his medical bills. In return was a ton of old car parts.

Again, he claims it's super clean under the valve covers. This is located in a different state, so I'd have to get a friend to go out and take some pics. A couple more notables. He claims it to have a sidewinder intake and c6 and or c5 markings on the intake and carb (he says all are original). As for the internals, he has no idea. The engine is somewhere in storage and will not be able to be taken apart for inspection.

My question is, is it worth the trouble? Obviously, I'd have to arrange for a friend or family member to look at it, and if it turned out to be in decent condtion, arrange for them to ship it to south carolina. What would the worst case scenario be if I purchased it without knowing it's exact condition
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-09-2013, 03:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Louisville, KY
Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Posts: 9,350
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     
Default

It would depend on two things...

1. If its really a side oiler (or even a 427 for that matter)
2. What the inside looks like. If its already been bored to death, it will do you no good. If its the right block and it's in machinable shape, I would make him an offer.
__________________
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-09-2013, 04:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: May 2013
Cobra Make, Engine:
Posts: 5
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
It would depend on two things...

1. If its really a side oiler (or even a 427 for that matter)
2. What the inside looks like. If its already been bored to death, it will do you no good. If its the right block and it's in machinable shape, I would make him an offer.
Of course, I havn't seen it yet...but he says it's crossbolted and has the side-oiler boss.

As for what the inside looks like, chances are....I wouldn't know that until after a purchase. There of course lies part of my dilemma.

His price is firm too....although with several people apparantly trying to come up with funds to buy it from him (his claim), cash would probably talk.

Keep in mind too, this is a block that hasn't been run in atleast 20-30 years. The chassis in the 57 rusted out and he retired the combo.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-09-2013, 04:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Louisville, KY
Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Posts: 9,350
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     
Default

Have you seen pictures?

Any way that you can buy on the terms that you can pull the head and check the bore size first?

If you buy a block that's already been bored to its limit, you're looking at 8 sleeves or a different block...
__________________
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-09-2013, 04:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: May 2013
Cobra Make, Engine:
Posts: 5
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
Have you seen pictures?

Any way that you can buy on the terms that you can pull the head and check the bore size first?

If you buy a block that's already been bored to its limit, you're looking at 8 sleeves or a different block...
Chances are, no...he won't allow a head to be pulled. The engine is currently assembled, carb to oil pan in storage. I could ask, but I'd have to arrange for someone to do it for me.

As for pictures, this is an old timer who seems to have no desire to take pictures or put in any effort. He doesn't email, doesn't text, and it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't have a digital camera. Again, I'd have to arrange for someone to take pics for me. Before I do though, I need to make sure it's worth the effort.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-09-2013, 04:52 AM
Danr55's Avatar
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mesa, AZ
Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Posts: 7,446
Not Ranked     
Default

Let's see if I understand this correctly: A guy you know has a motor that has been sitting for 20 to30 years, he says it's a 427 side oiler that was raced hard in a roadster before it was dumped. He's asking $6500 for it as is, sight unseen? Is that about right? You have no way of knowing if the block and/or the heads are cracked, if one or more of the cylinder skirts is chipped or broken, a bearing spun, or any number of other failures that were typical of these engines when they were pushed too hard. Sounds like a gamble. Can you afford to lose the $6500 if you're wrong? Oh, I ran into a guy a few months ago who had a 427 that had a cracked block that was "stitched" back together. I had to investigate the process before turning that one down.
TN Shelby Cobra likes this.
__________________


Dan in Arizona
CCX3209


"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-09-2013, 04:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: May 2013
Cobra Make, Engine:
Posts: 5
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danr55 View Post
Let's see if I understand this correctly: A guy you know has a motor that has been sitting for 20 to30 years, he says it's a 427 side oiler that was raced hard in a roadster before it was dumped. He's asking $6500 for it as is, sight unseen? Is that about right? You have no way of knowing if the block and/or the heads are cracked, if one or more of the cylinder skirts is chipped or broken, a bearing spun, or any number of other failures that were typical of these engines when they were pushed too hard. Sounds like a gamble. Can you afford to lose the $6500 if you're wrong? Oh, I ran into a guy a few months ago who had a 427 that had a cracked block that was "stitched" back together. I had to investigate the process before turning that one down.
Ha, sounds close to right. I can have somone look at it for me, inspect the outside, take some pictures, verify numbers etc. That's about it though. He might (MIGHT) be able to get the oil pan off to look at the bottom of the cyl's, but that's assuming the guy will let him....and that there is room to do it. The most assurance I was given was that it was running when pulled (I know, don't say it) and that it turns smoothly by hand.

If the block turned out to be garbage, how much salvageable $$$ would it be worth?
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 05-09-2013, 05:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Acworth, Ga
Cobra Make, Engine: Era 351, Contemporary 351
Posts: 227
Not Ranked     
Default

Millhouse,
Dan is correct in these motors when run hard get damaged all the time. The heads crack and blocks get broken. Keep in mind drag racers do not care about that stuff. The crank might be cut a whole lot and chances are it has pop up pistons in it which are no good on the street. The other thing that comes to mind if the car rotted down what does the inside of the motor look like. If the man is so sure it is good he should let you tear it down. imho.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 05-09-2013, 06:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Cobra Make, Engine: Currently Reproduction by Evertt Morrison, Engine orginal 427FE currently being redone
Posts: 3
Not Ranked     
Default

I have just completed a restoration of my original 427 FE side oiler after having issues with exhaust valves and low oil pressure. I got rid of the original heads, original cam etc and went with an Eldenbrook package, roller rockers etc. The package with assembly was approx. 10,000. It runs better than ever, sounds great and runs stronger than prior. The engine is quite rare. If the fellow would allow a mechanic to look at it and esp give you a refund if block issues are present it could be a go for 6500. Original heads were great in their day, but by todays standards are heavy with fair flow. When we first built this engine in 95 originality was my dream, but no longer. Est. 525 hp conservatively now, but haven't dynoed yet.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 05-09-2013, 06:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 272
Not Ranked     
Default

Southern Automotive

You know what you are getting with Bill and he is a heck of a nice guy.
FatBoy and Tutosnake like this.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 05-09-2013, 06:34 AM
kevins2's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: West Chester, PA
Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Posts: 987
Not Ranked     
Default

I recently purchased a 427 side oiler short block that had only been sitting about 6 months since it had last run and it already had rust in one cylinder that required boring (rather than honing) to get rid of it. I'd be wary of a motor sitting that long. I also had an agreement with the seller that an engine builder would inspect and magnaflux the block, crank and rods. The seller agreed to refund my money if the block was cracked and would adjust the price accordingly if the crank or rods were similarly unuseable. Without a similar agreement, you're taking all the risk and the seller is taking none.
__________________
"Anyone who drives faster than you is a maniac and anyone who drives slower than you is an idiot" - George Carlin
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 05-09-2013, 06:42 AM
Tutosnake's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Shreveport, LA
Cobra Make, Engine: SAI; '68 427FESO Southern Automotive
Posts: 300
Not Ranked     
Default

I know the rarity of these blocks is what's attracting you (or any of us for that matter) but good sense dictates that if the product is true through and through the seller would let you look at it in detail. Now, if I'm the seller I would only let you look at it only After you show me the cash in your hands... Crisp and green. Only then I would think it would be a fair dealing. After you are satisfied with what you saw, and paid him, I do not think the seller is responsible for any mishap to the engine thereafter. So go visit him with money in hand, show him you're serious, and take it from there. Depends on how badly you want a (potentially) original block from 1966...
Good luck, I hope you found a true jewel
Hector
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 05-09-2013, 08:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Manteca, Ca.
Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Posts: 2,439
Not Ranked     
Default

I'd say to go tell him to take a hike. But that is just me. Money is to tight right now to take a chance at throwing away $6500.
TN Shelby Cobra likes this.
__________________
Terry
"I may be paranoid, but that doesn't mean they are not watching me"
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 05-09-2013, 12:00 PM
rpatton3's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Jonesboro, AR
Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 874 solid red Roush 427 small block 515 hp
Posts: 572
Not Ranked     
Default 427

Quote:
Originally Posted by millhouse77 View Post
I've posted this in another forum, but figured I'd like some input from ya'll too...

I ran across someone that has a 1966 427 side oiler medium riser for sale for $6500 complete, carb to oil pan. It was apparantly owned by a ford engineer that had it in a 57 t-coupe that he drag raced. He claims it ran before it was pulled from the coupe (20-30 years ago).

How he himself got it...well, he says his friend that owned it fell on hard times, and he paid off his medical bills. In return was a ton of old car parts.

Again, he claims it's super clean under the valve covers. This is located in a different state, so I'd have to get a friend to go out and take some pics. A couple more notables. He claims it to have a sidewinder intake and c6 and or c5 markings on the intake and carb (he says all are original). As for the internals, he has no idea. The engine is somewhere in storage and will not be able to be taken apart for inspection.

My question is, is it worth the trouble? Obviously, I'd have to arrange for a friend or family member to look at it, and if it turned out to be in decent condtion, arrange for them to ship it to south carolina. What would the worst case scenario be if I purchased it without knowing it's exact condition
OVERBORED so that you would need sleeves. Cracked block from freezing? (My sister did this to my dad's boat.)

Other block repairs to block needed. Might be a rare find, too.
__________________
There were no atheists in the foxholes.

Last edited by rpatton3; 05-10-2013 at 08:37 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 05-09-2013, 12:13 PM
rpatton3's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Jonesboro, AR
Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 874 solid red Roush 427 small block 515 hp
Posts: 572
Not Ranked     
Default 427

Quote:
Originally Posted by millhouse77 View Post
Of course, I havn't seen it yet...but he says it's crossbolted and has the side-oiler boss.

As for what the inside looks like, chances are....I wouldn't know that until after a purchase. There of course lies part of my dilemma.

His price is firm too....although with several people apparantly trying to come up with funds to buy it from him (his claim), cash would probably talk.

Keep in mind too, this is a block that hasn't been run in atleast 20-30 years. The chassis in the 57 rusted out and he retired the combo.
It might be a Chris-Craft that looks like side oiler but it is really not. And it might be a great find, but ....
__________________
There were no atheists in the foxholes.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 05-10-2013, 03:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: May 2013
Cobra Make, Engine:
Posts: 5
Not Ranked     
Default

Thanks for the advise folks. I think I'll have another conversation with the guy to see if he'll let someone tear into it. I'll also see if he'll give me the number to the gentleman he got it from to see if I can get some real backround on that engine.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 05-10-2013, 08:40 AM
rpatton3's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Jonesboro, AR
Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 874 solid red Roush 427 small block 515 hp
Posts: 572
Not Ranked     
Default

Royce Peterson is an FE guru and historian. You can find him at www.mercurycougar.net as well as the FE website that I forgot about.
__________________
There were no atheists in the foxholes.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 09-18-2014, 10:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Cobra Make, Engine:
Posts: 4
Not Ranked     
Default Side Oiler 427 Cross Bolt Main by Ford

I have one, if anybody is interested, shoot me an email at hillg51@yahoo.com Name:  photo4.jpg
Views: 6721
Size:  86.7 KB

Name:  DSCN0916.jpg
Views: 10095
Size:  35.3 KB

Name:  DSCN0919.jpg
Views: 8188
Size:  36.2 KB
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 09-18-2014, 11:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Cobra Make, Engine:
Posts: 4
Not Ranked     
Default 427

I have one, if anybody is interested, shoot me an email at hillg51@yahoo.com Attachment 24401

Attachment 24402

Attachment 24403
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 09-18-2014, 12:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Cobra Make, Engine: csx4163 full comp alu. body
Posts: 367
Not Ranked     
Default

Bought a block from guy in texas but the deal was I gave my engine builder the agreed amount with the right to sonic check block and mic crank and bore along with check heads before he gave delivery person money, well known shop with good relations with delivery drivers. Delivery driver went on other stops and came back in hour, all worked out.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
The representations expressed are the representations and opinions of the clubcobra.com forum members and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and viewpoints of the site owners, moderators, Shelby American, any other replica manufacturer, Ford Motor Company. This website has been planned and developed by clubcobra.com and its forum members and should not be construed as being endorsed by Ford Motor Company, or Shelby American or any other manufacturer unless expressly noted by that entity. "Cobra" and the Cobra logo are registered trademarks for Ford Motor Co., Inc. clubcobra.com forum members agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyrighted material is owned by you. Although we do not and cannot review the messages posted and are not responsible for the content of any of these messages, we reserve the right to delete any message for any reason whatsoever. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold us harmless with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s). Thank you for visiting clubcobra.com. For full policy documentation refer to the following link: CC Policy