Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2013, 05:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     
Default Correct code Holleys for 2x4 intake

One of my future bucket list projects is to replace the generic 600 Holleys on my intake to correct code and configuration Holleys for a LR 427. Who is the best source for these?

I assume most of these must be restored carbs and not some form of reproduction - is that correct. I don't want just a cosmetic set up but like-new Holleys, properly jetted and ready to bolt on and run. A cosmetic restoration on worn out Holleys is just a source of aggravation.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
One of my future bucket list projects is to replace the generic 600 Holleys on my intake to correct code and configuration Holleys for a LR 427. Who is the best source for these?

I assume most of these must be restored carbs and not some form of reproduction - is that correct. I don't want just a cosmetic set up but like-new Holleys, properly jetted and ready to bolt on and run. A cosmetic restoration on worn out Holleys is just a source of aggravation.
mostly the only source for true reproduction carbs, with ford numbers and correct throttle plates.
i run them also
the BC-BD 's run 1195.00 for the pair.....ad another 50.00 for the linkage and about 75.00 for fuel log
Carl's Ford Parts

Last edited by FWB; 05-22-2013 at 06:45 PM..
Old 05-22-2013, 06:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Pony Carburetors can also sell you restored originals, but it will cost a bit more. My 3255-1 came from them and I have been happy with it.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 05-22-2013, 08:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Carbs

X2 for Carls. I do have correct linkage, brand new, that I'd let go for less than Carl.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I'm already running correct reproduction linkage, fuel log, filter,etc with the Holley generic 600 carbs on my car - thanks. I am aware that Carls Ford Parts carbs - just curious if they are absolutely the best and only place to go or if there were other sources for a quality set of original style Holleys. Maybe Carl has the market cornered on this item.

Dan
Old 05-23-2013, 04:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Carbs

Well you can always use Ebay, I've purchased several sets of AC/AD, BC/BD and BT/BU's, and bought them already rebuilt or NOS.

Sold them all, probably had 5 sets, including BJ/BK, they're out there. but you might have to use an unmatched pair, or a late date .
Old 05-23-2013, 04:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: #535 Kirkham 427, 427 Side Oiler
Not Ranked     

I would recommend that you contact Barry R at Survival Motorsports. He offers original looking Holleys for the 2x4 intake. However, Barry's carbs are much improved and give far better performance than standard carbs. Reasonable price too!
Old 05-23-2013, 04:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Last check and reports from many, the reproduction carbs are of very poor quality and racked with a ton of problems, from warped bowls and beyond.

That was enough for me to have a pair of custom Quick Fuel 750s made for me. In fact, Barry liked them so much he "picked up the rights" from me and now sells them. They ran me $1100 and I couldn't have been happier. I slapped them on my KC Pond 482 and headed for the chassis dyno. Out of the box idle/part throttle was a textbook 14 to 1 while WOT was 12.5 to 1. PERFECT numbers...
Old 05-23-2013, 04:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

I sell them either way.....custom Quick Fuels, or custom Holley 1850's that have been rebuilt. And by rebuilt, I'm talking about shaft bushings, baseplate surfaced, replated, the whole nine yards. They would essentially be brand new.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
I sell them either way.....custom Quick Fuels, or custom Holley 1850's that have been rebuilt. And by rebuilt, I'm talking about shaft bushings, baseplate surfaced, replated, the whole nine yards. They would essentially be brand new.
Brent - do your rebuilt Holleys have all the correct Ford configuration linkage, brackets, etc? What do you ask for a set of them?

Thanks

Dan
Old 05-23-2013, 05:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

I can sell them that way. I'm at $1300 for the pair of carbs and new linkages. The guy that builds my carbs was the head carb designer for Quick Fuel. They're done correctly.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yesterday I installed a new set of matched 750's from Survival Motorsports.

The appearance of them has changed. The vintage Holley look has been replaced by something more proprietary looking.

David

Last edited by 601HP; 05-23-2013 at 10:36 AM..
Old 05-23-2013, 10:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
I can sell them that way. I'm at $1300 for the pair of carbs and new linkages. The guy that builds my carbs was the head carb designer for Quick Fuel. They're done correctly.
I'll make a note of that. By brackets I primarily meant the Ford style accelerator linkage bracket on the pass side throttle shaft (with carb reversed) as opposed to the generic brackets on generic Holley 600s. As I said it's on my bucket list. May be a little while yet.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

[quote=601HP;1245333]Yesterday I installed a new set of matched 750's from Survival Motorsports.

The appearance of them has changed. The vintage Holley look has been replaced by something more proprietary looking.

DAVID
Maybe a separate thread but let us know about the swap David.
Pick up power? Driveability?
The bowls look shorter and neat.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

[quote=ERA Chas;1245352]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601HP View Post
Yesterday I installed a new set of matched 750's from Survival Motorsports.

DAVID
Maybe a separate thread but let us know about the swap David.
Pick up power? Driveability?
The bowls look shorter and neat.
Chas,
The o/a length is a little longer than the Holley 600's these replaced. They'll actually touch each other if they are pushed together. I do like the look, but was a little surprised the old Holley dichromate color has disappeared.

Tomorrow I'll be in round 3 of tuning. I had to wait for a Summit delivery of another jets kit, which arrived today. I'll be glad to report back in another thread when I've finished.

The 600 cfm Holley 1850's I took off were smack on and the engine performed awesomely. I had put a lot of work in those carbs, but I detested the look. I had bought them years back when the dichromate finish wasn't available for a while.

David
Old 05-23-2013, 04:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Tomorrow I'll be in round 3 of tuning. I had to wait for a Summit delivery of another jets kit, which arrived today. I'll be glad to report back in another thread when I've finished.

The 600 cfm Holley 1850's I took off were smack on and the engine performed awesomely. I had put a lot of work in those carbs, but I detested the look. I had bought them years back when the dichromate finish wasn't available for a while.

David
Thanks that will be very helpful for the performance guys. Will be looking for your thread.
My 1850's were modified back in '90 and I tinkered with squirters and such over the years. They were 654s when wet-flowed. Like yours they worked seamlessly and still do today. Good heads and a strong cam help too.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here the initial set of them that QuickFuel built.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You and David need to run best 2 out of 3 and gives us your ETs...
Old 05-23-2013, 06:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
You and David need to run best 2 out of 3 and gives us your ETs...
Undy's 55 c.i. ahead of me! He wins by default.

Undy--
I like your carbs! Got the vintage and custom build aspects.
What are your jetting sizes?

David

Last edited by 601HP; 05-23-2013 at 06:51 PM..
Old 05-23-2013, 06:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Undy's 55 c.i. ahead of me! He wins by default.

Undy--
What are your jetting sizes?

David
Hey-mine was a standard 427 too! High 11's at 121 on Hoosier TDs-not good for ETs...