Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 08:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default How much torque at 2000 rpm?

When I was speaking with the folks at American Powertrain about the T-56 Magnum 6spd, they cited a ballpark of 300 lbs-ft at 2000 rpm as a good indicator of whether you can maintain speed rather than losing it in 6th gear.

I plan to use a Keith Craft 427FE based engine, most likely their typical 482 build. Gave them a call regarding this question, but they offered no data below ~4400 rpm.

Does anyone have a similar build that has been on a dyno and can share their torque numbers around 2000 rpm? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It's fine to to want to know the torque produced at 2000 RPM but virtually no builders (as Keith told you) seek those numbers.
Just don't operate your 482 at 2000 in 6th gear. That's worse than loading the brake on a dyno. I also don't think a 600HP 482 can make 300lbft at 2000 but I may be be wrong.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

I'd say it would be close to that, but none of us load the engines on the dyno at this low of an rpm.

I would skip the T-56 altogether. There are ZERO benefits to that transmission.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:43 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I'll save you the math, but in a Cobra, to maintain, say, 70 MPH on the interstate, you will need less than 35 horsepower. At 2000 RPM that's less than a 100 ft/lbs of torque. Why are they quoting 300 ft/lbs?
Old 06-26-2013, 03:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics / Roush 427 SR
Not Ranked     

Guys,
Certainly don't want to start a big fuss, and I don't know what torque number it takes to maintain speed in my car in 6th gear. All I can verify is what I know to be true from what I have experienced in my own car for over 30,000 miles since September, 2007.

I have no idea what the torque number is on my Roush 427 SRTW #444 at 2,000 RPM, but I know it is enough for smooth operation at 2,000 RPM with the Tremec T56 in 6th gear with 3.89 rear gears and 25.5 inch tall rear tires.
The car cruises smoothly at 2,000 RPM in 6th gear and has no problem at all maintaining speed in 6th gear at that RPM.

I have had zero problems with the Tremec T-56 transmission and the valve covers and oil pan have never been removed from the engine.

If any of my combination breaks tomorrow, I will be happy with my past service and performance and would gladly replace whatever breaks with the same parts without hesitation.

Jody
Roush #1
Lone Star Classics
Roush Edition #01
Roush 427 SR #444
Old 06-26-2013, 06:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

I have a small block stroker. 354 c.i.

I have had it dyno'ed three times at two different shops. Both started at (about)2200 rpms.

Before I stroked the motor I had it dyno'ed at three different shops, all started at 2000-2200.

My 354 makes 325 ft lbs of torque at 2200.

I have a couple of buddies with KC 482s and they cruise at 2000 rpm about 70 mph with no trouble. I don't think you will have to worry. When WE want to pass we do not have to down shift!

Dwight
Old 06-27-2013, 05:38 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

I know I'm really anal abut this stuff but torque is measured in "LB-FT", work is measured in "FT-LBS". I know, you guys checked your torque wrench and it says "Foot-Pounds", but they're incorrect on the units. That's because Craftsman and Harbor Freight never took a physics course. You don't have to believe me, go to a Ford or GM internet site and check the engine torque numbers for yourself.

Bob
Old 06-27-2013, 05:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Foot pounds is a measurement of energy. However, if you really want to get anal about it, there should just be a "dot" in between each abbreviation, denoting that the units be multiplied together. With that in mind, you are technically able to write it in either way as torque is defined as lbs of force multiplied to a moment arm.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:41 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I still haven't gotten an answer to my question on where the 300 ft/lbs came from and why. Most of us have enough strength in our arms to keep a Cobra moving down the highway at 70 MPH, at least for a short while.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 2729, 351W
Not Ranked     

The dyno sheet on my engine starts at 3000RPM - 243HP and 425.3 LbFt torque. I try to keep the motor above 2000RPM on the street and it pulls smoothly; not race conditions but not jerking around.

4600RPM - 409.9HP and 468LbFt torque
5800RPM - 476.7HP and 431.7LbFt torque
Old 06-27-2013, 01:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM cobra, 450 inch sbc running a best ET of 9.14..so far..ALL MOTOR...approx 800 horse.............ERA with 482 FE..All Aluminum Engine
Send a message via Yahoo to Hotfingrs
Not Ranked     

The last time I was on the dyno I had 681 lbs at 2700 rpm and then spun the tires on the dyno....the graph looked like falling off a cliff when the tires spun
Old 06-27-2013, 01:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 434 cid
Not Ranked     

A more relevant question might be... "will your cam, intake, and carb combination support a part-throttle load at 2000 rpm?" If it will you will have enough torque. With my current motor I can cruise at 1600 rpm in 6th gear and I know the motor isn't making 300 lb-ft of torque at 1/8 throttle at 1600 rpm.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

I forgot to say my six pulls were on a chassis dyno's.

If you buy a KC 482 you will not have any trouble cruising at 2000 rpms. I have driven two Cobras with his 482 motors and both can and do cruise at 1800-2000 rpms with no problem.

Dwight
Old 06-27-2013, 07:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I still haven't gotten an answer to my question on where the 300 ft/lbs came from and why. Most of us have enough strength in our arms to keep a Cobra moving down the highway at 70 MPH, at least for a short while.
I agree they likely pulled 300 out of the air, but it is not a silly stupid number either. Yes to maintain speed on the level you need less than 100 lb-ft (hey there is no dot on my keyboard ) of torque, however to go up a hill or accelerate you are going to need considerably more. If you have to down shift at every hill you wouldn't be happy. Considering most people are thinking about cars that weigh considerably more than a Cobra, it's not that bad of a number.

Last edited by olddog; 06-27-2013 at 07:06 PM..
Old 06-27-2013, 07:19 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog View Post
If you have to down shift at every hill you wouldn't be happy. Considering most people are thinking about cars that weigh considerably more than a Cobra, it's not that bad of a number.
Alright, I'll buy that -- you're probably right.