Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 06-20-2010, 03:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     
Default Any experiences w/Performance Engineering, Hamilton OH?

Does anyone have experience with Performance Engineering in Hamilton OH? They look like a viable option to build an FE. They are the machine shop used by Genesis to build their crate engines.

John
Old 06-20-2010, 07:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR#499 351W with Webers
Not Ranked     

John,

I have a 351W built by PE. I recently discovered that the engine was assembled using Fel Pro 1260 gaskets which have a tendency to shift after installation and use. This particular engine is equipped with Webers and I had two of the carbs off for unrelated reasons when I discovered the gaskets had shifted. I sent Eric at PE an e mail with photos and asked about the gaskets. He asked that I call him, which I did and he explained he no longer used the gaskets and had changed to steel reinforced FelPros (1260-S) as did Ford Racing. He offered to order me a set of the new gaskets. I told him I was planning a trip to Cincinnati in a few days (I live in Tennessee) and I would stop in to see him.

My engine is three years old. Eric did not have to do anything for me, but did without hesitation. I am sure if I lived closer he would have done the gasket change for me.

On the day I visited his shop he had two Cobras in for work and a couple finished cars for sale. Eric spent a good 20-30 minutes with me talking Weber tuning and my engine in particular.

PE has both an engine and chassis Dyno and all engines are tuned on the engine dyno prior to leaving the shop. My engine came with the built and dyno sheets. If Eric installs the engine, he also puts the car on the chassis dyno before delivery.

I would recommend PE without hesitation.

Gun Doc
Old 06-20-2010, 07:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 434, Paxton blown
Not Ranked     

Yep, PE built my little block a few years ago. Over the last 28k miles, the header bolts backed out a couple of times. And I had a small intake manifold leak. That's it for problems from the intial build.
I just got back from having them install a Paxton supercharger last Wed. They did a great job. I am very pleased with the additional power. The folks that have seen it, and know a great deal more than I do, have been impressed with the craftmanship. They had to fab an airbox to allow the airfilter to clear a valve cover. It looks good and works well.
And I repeat, I am very pleased with the addititonal power. I drove it home, Pittsburgh...approx. 5 hours... after they finished it Wed. evening. They called twice Wed evening to see how my trip was going. Then they called again Thurs. morning to see what I thought.
Yep, I am well pleased.
They have an engine dyno and a chassis dyno. While I was there,
they had two Shelby cars and a SPF there that they were working on. They seemed to have a well equipped machine shop area. They had all sorts of engines in progress.
Mine is not a big block, and is rarely clean, but if you would like to see it, I will be in London next Sat. if the weather cooperates.
Mike
Old 06-21-2010, 09:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF2914 Sunset / Titanium
Not Ranked     

Hi John,

I have a PE 351 that I installed last spring in my SPF. Eric is a great guy and stands behind his product. I had a small coolant leak from the thermostat and Eric next dayed my a set of new gaskets. I am very impressed with the built quality and you can't beat their pricing.

Andrei
Old 06-21-2010, 09:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

Thanks guys. I spoke with Eric for about 20 minutes on the phone and was impressed. He said all of the right things and seemed to have a very sound understanding of how to build and tune engines.

There price seemed very competetive.

I live about 2 hours from their shop, which I view as a plus. It is much easier to go visit if problems arise.

Eric did say they would dyno tune the engine and then would chassis tune if I wanted to drive the car to their shop after installation.

John
Old 06-21-2010, 11:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 402R and CSX 6029
Not Ranked     

Eric has installed an engine, rebuilt a 390, and built a 427 for me. Top flight in every way. Obviously, I recommend him highly.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft#357, 392CI Ford Racing, 459hp, 455ft/lbs , TKO 500, 3.43 Gears, Ceramic Coated Headers, Victor Jr. 750cfm, 17in Halibrand wheels, Sterling Gray/Silver Stripes, Gray Leather, Nitto NT05
Not Ranked     

I think Greater Cincinnati Performance Cars (the Backdraft dealer in Ohio) has used them in the past for engine installs. Check with Bill Littleton @ www.gcperf.com.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MKIII
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubby View Post
Does anyone have experience with Performance Engineering in Hamilton OH?
Eric Hinderberger at PE built my 351 (418) stroker in February 2004. I was impressed by the flywheel dyno #s. 567hp / 554tq.

The engine ran flawlessly on the street, road courses and drag strip for 46,000 miles until I blew a hole in a piston at the drag strip in August 2009. I had Eric repair the damage done (new pistons, valve springs, etc).

Unfortunately only 4000 miles (and a few trips to the drag strip) after the "rebuild" I discovered that 10 of my push-rods were bent. The local mechanic stated that the cause of the bent rods was spring bind due to the wrong springs being used. Eric maintains that the springs were the correct ones (even though he was unable to provide me with the brand and part # of the springs).

We are currently awaiting a review of the springs by Comp Cams.

Steve
Formerly spf1868 now spf2584
Old 06-23-2010, 12:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2899 Dart 440 stroker 771 hp w/nitrous
Not Ranked     

John - Call me when you have the opportunity @ 419.376.2585
Old 06-23-2010, 01:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

How would they compare to Keith Craft? Not ready to do a build yet just doing my homework.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2715
Not Ranked     
Default Pe

Eric Built two 351 based engines for me, I was satisfied with both motors.

When I built the second motor (418), Eric was the first guy that I know that got AFR to make a set of heads that the exhaust ports were designed for the SPF headers.

If I ever had a problem, he has always worked to take care of me.

There are a few people with an axe to grind with Eric, or want to have their builder make your motor, but my experience with PE and Eric is positive.

E

Last edited by Great Asp; 06-23-2010 at 02:19 PM.. Reason: can't spell :-(
Old 06-23-2010, 02:32 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Asp View Post
There are a few people with an axe to grind with Eric, or want to have their builder make your motor...
That's pretty much true of any builder around here, be it Barry, Keith, Danbury Competition, Roush, even Brent (who I think would get on a bus and come out to you if you called up and complained). You have to balance the number of engines built against the number of complaints to get a true picture.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
That's pretty much true of any builder around here, be it Barry, Keith, Danbury Competition, Roush, even Brent (who I think would get on a bus and come out to you if you called up and complained). You have to balance the number of engines built against the number of complaints to get a true picture.
You are so right.

E
Old 07-03-2010, 09:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1969 Mustang Fastback Pro-Street, constantly changing ongoing project!
Not Ranked     

Quote:
This gets my vote for "Comment with the most Wisdom" of the year award.
There are always those that complain or have an axe to grind. Very simply, You can't please everyone all of the time.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body; but rather a skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, WHAT A RIDE!"
Old 07-03-2010, 10:47 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordzilla View Post
This gets my vote for "Comment with the most Wisdom" of the year award.
There are always those that complain or have an axe to grind. Very simply, You can't please everyone all of the time.
I would say that, with most of my posts, I tend to please everyone all the time.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I would say that, with most of my posts, I tend to please everyone all the time.
Do you feel a need to duck????

E
Old 07-03-2010, 11:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1969 Mustang Fastback Pro-Street, constantly changing ongoing project!
Not Ranked     

"tend" or "pretend"??

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body; but rather a skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, WHAT A RIDE!"
Old 09-23-2013, 08:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gary Edwards Racing 460
Not Ranked     

Eric f'd more people than a two bit whore. Performance engineering should be avoided at all costs. Do your research the skeletons will all come running out.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You want to elaborate? Pretty harsh comments for a public forum. I think when you bash someone like that you need to be a little more specific. Most of what I have read or heard about Eric has been positive.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ClassicRoadster 4.6 supercharged
Not Ranked     

Eric has built the last four or five small blocks for us at celina custom auto no problems at all and trust me we tested them hard