Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-26-2001, 04:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, 427 SO
Not Ranked     
Default Rod bearing suggestions

I have a 1966 427 SO block which was rebuilt 4 years ago and has approximately 10K miles on the rebuild. I want to replace the rod bearings with the best on the market since that is the weakest part of the engine. Any suggestions on the best rod bearings to install?

I will be replacing the rear main seal to the engine since my seal leaks. I remember that this is a common problem with 427 SO blocks and I remember a post a while back suggesting a rear seal that doesn't leak. If anyone can help, I would appreciate the info.

I have a thermostat in the engine and I have been told that the best thing to do is to take out the thermostat and put in a restrictor plate. Is this true? If so, describe the restrictor plate.

Finally, I see that Edelbrock has come out with an aluminum water pump. Anyone have experience with this pump and is it worth the money to install one.

Thanks,

Len
Old 11-26-2001, 05:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, 427 EFI; CAV GT40, 427W
Not Ranked     

I have the edelbrock pump. A very nice unit and much lighter then the cast iron versions. It is rebuildable also.

Gary
CAV GT40 Dealer
www.2gmotorsports.com
Old 11-26-2001, 11:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HI-TECH 289 FIA
Not Ranked     

Ford Power Parts makes the good seal
Phone (562) 921-5300
Good to see you at breakfast again
Rick
Old 11-27-2001, 04:45 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Len,

There are lots of opinions on thermostats. See this thread:
What is the purpose of a thermostat?

I personally think that if you aren't in desperate need to cure overheating, you should use a thermostat.

Please address parts inquiries to eraparts@sbcglobal.net
Old 11-27-2001, 09:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Engine Bearings

Hi Len...the sources for FE performance engine bearings is certainly limited. We usually install Federal Mogul performance rod bearings 8-7170CH available in std/.001/.010, and Federal Mogul also offers their standard rod bearing 3230CP available in std/.001/.010/.020 etc....Michigan 77 (Clevite) also offers standard type rod & main bearings....Federal Mogul had a performance main bearing but discontinued it recently...it didn't fit correctly....
We also use the Childs & Alberts Lead Indium bearings in the Shelby blocks we build....these blocks accept the 351C bearing which is the same size as the FE except the tangs have a different placement....so if you retang the block and run the performnce versions of the 351C and a whole new world on bearings opens up...
Cam bearings have additional suppliers including Dura-Bond
I'd be interested in other members experiences with bearings in their FE's...
Regards, george
Old 11-27-2001, 09:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Main bearings

I also like the King bearings for both rod and main-very nice parts. For std FE's, we use either the Durabond heavy duty race cam bearings, or the coated HD bearings. Although the 427SO bearings are only available in a std duty, so we use a coated version in all SO applications.

George: I've used the F/M competition rod bearings (when available), but was unaware of problems with the comp. mains. What fit problem are you refering to?
Rob
Old 11-28-2001, 05:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

I would have to think that the reason why the Ford FE 427 has such a tendency to throw rods is not the rod bearings but the actual rod design/material or weak rod bolts, not the bearings. This is just a guess on my part though.

Ed
________

Last edited by CobraEd; 11-28-2001 at 10:52 AM..
Old 11-28-2001, 10:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, 427 SO
Not Ranked     
Default Rod Bearings

Thanks to all who have replied. Your suggestions and advise is great. I really appreciate you taking the time to help. This forum is great for advise from experts who care about Cobras and owners who love their cars.

Thanks again,

Len