Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-28-2001, 05:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Aluminum FE heads

Hey,
Is any one useing Edelbrock FE heads #6006 on their engines,
I would like to know pro's and con's from your experiences.
Please no opinions if your not running them.

Thanks Frank
cobragene likes this.
Old 11-28-2001, 06:36 PM
I'm a bonehead!
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I use them.
I don't know what you want me to tell you though.
The engine I put them on in no way resembles a stock engine, I didn't do a 'before and after' comparison of performance.
They bolted on and seem to be working just fine.
Because they're aluminum, I went with a 10.6:1 CR.
Also because they're aluminum, I had inserts put in over the head bolt holes (steel) to give a crush-resistant, flat surface to torque against.
You should also realize that the exhaust ports are raised slightly in comparison to GT heads, though I believe they're about the same as CJ heads. When ordering headers, work with a knowledgable supplier and stress that you are using Edelbrock heads.
That's about it. I've heard differing opinions about the valve springs Edelbrock supplies with its heads. Seem to work. But I built for torque, not HP, so I don't rev that high. Your situation may be different.
Old 11-29-2001, 07:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 427 Side-Oiler
Not Ranked     
Default FE E-heads

I have the first set of heads to come out of Edelbrock.The only problem with them is that the oil drain-back hole is angled directly at the gasket joint where the valley gasket&intake come together.Leaks like a screen door unless special attention is paid to seal that area REALLY good.Hopefully this problem was addressed in later production runs.
Old 11-29-2001, 08:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thank's Guy's
Sounds good so far, I'm not building a screemer, but
concerned about weight and good flow(nice and new helps)
Useing a higher compression piston is an advantage from
aluminum heads.Good to get feed back on that application.

Thanks again Frank
Old 11-30-2001, 12:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 454 S.O.
Not Ranked     

Frank:

Got a set on my 454 FE (427 block with a 428 crank). Made 585 HP on the dyno on pump gas (some porting and polishing). I also have their intake. Buy the set w/o valves and springs and let your engine builder do the rest. Make sure you heli coil the R/A shaft holes.

Jeff
Old 11-30-2001, 04:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default aluminum heads

Hello Frank , I see your note and the mention of weight ...
I have a 428 in mine and by using the edelbrock RPM package I dropped 110 pounds off the stock FE using the RPM heads, alum intake and aluminum waterpump.
I have not recieved my car and have yet to flash it up.....I can't wait.
Whaler
Old 11-30-2001, 05:02 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm not running them yet, but plan to. I have heard that they require quite a bit of clean up prior to installation (flash, burrs, etc.). Anyone know how much truth there is to that?
I guess it's not a big deal (clean when porting), but in case someone was just going to bolt them on & go without any machining, they might be in for a surprise.
Old 11-30-2001, 06:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default edelbrock

remember guys, if your running 75% street and the rest race/play leave the porting in the semi-rough stage to hold onto the fuel stream and not polish to high lustre, if it's 30% street go with a high polish. it will help with street smoothness in the BB's.
Old 11-30-2001, 07:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 427 Side-Oiler
Not Ranked     
Cool

Dave-406 or 428?Remember big is good.Too big is better.
Old 11-30-2001, 10:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, 427 EFI; CAV GT40, 427W
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Frigo
Frank:

Got a set on my 454 FE (427 block with a 428 crank). Made 585 HP on the dyno on pump gas (some porting and polishing).
Jeff
Can you post more info on you build. Do you have flow numbers? You can send me a PM if you would like.

Thanks

Gary
CAV GT40 Dealer
www.2gmotorsports.com
Old 11-30-2001, 09:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Aluminum Heads

Frank

I purchased the Edelbrock Aluminum heads (Bare) part # 6008 over the bolt on ready to go set up #6006

I had heard from a few builders that the Edelbrock factory valve work, left alot to be desired. The Springs and keepers were not exactly what I was looking for either. I wanted Medium riser valves too instead of the low riser set that comes with the completed #6006 assembly.

I am just putting together my stroked 66 427 sideoiler (454) Alum Flywheel ,JE forged Pistons @ 10:7 CR, Eagle Rods, Aluminum Heads with Ferea valves with CS stainless rocker assembly with Billet end stands and Edelbrock RPM intake with a 830 cfm Holley chokeless race carb. So far it just looks pretty, I'll let you know how it runs in a couple of weeks.

I suggest you call George Gessford. He has alot of experience with these heads.

Rick Lee
Old 11-30-2001, 10:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

I'm in the process of putting my 428 together. I'm using the Edelbrock 6006 heads and the Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold. With this combination, the drip rails that mount under the rocker arm stands don't fit. There's too much interference with the manifold. I could cut away part of the drip rails but it would require a lot of trimming and it would seem to defeat the purpose of the drip rails. I plan on not using the drip rails at all. Has anyone else had the same experience?

Chris
ERA 626 likes this.
Old 11-30-2001, 10:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Chris:

I don't have them on my engine, no problems.

Jeff
Old 11-30-2001, 10:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

G Gibbs:

Do not get the assembled heads, the parts they use are junk. Intake flowed 335 cfm at .650 lift, I don't remember the exhaust. 2.19" intake, 1.75" exhaust valves. Cam is 258 / 260 @ .050 duration, .619 / .626 lift (custom ground by my builder). 10.8 to 1 compression, Holley 950 HP carb. Also using Edelbrock intake. Made 585 hp @ 6,100 rpm and 570 ft lb torque @ 3,750 rpm on preimium unleaded. The trick is all in the heads and cam. Car idles at 850 rpm alll day long and never goes above 195 degrees in stop and go traffic when its 90 degrees out. If I missed anything, post more questions.

Jeff
Old 11-30-2001, 10:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     
Question 6006 heads

I anm to building a 428 FE for my ERA car and now all of you guys have me concerned!! I just bolted mine on but now you guys have me thinking twice! Should I take my motor apart and get them re-done and if so what shall I have done and why???
thanks,
Mike
Old 12-01-2001, 05:37 AM
I'm a bonehead!
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by CJ428CJ
I'm in the process of putting my 428 together. I'm using the Edelbrock 6006 heads and the Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold. With this combination, the drip rails that mount under the rocker arm stands don't fit. There's too much interference with the manifold. I could cut away part of the drip rails but it would require a lot of trimming and it would seem to defeat the purpose of the drip rails. I plan on not using the drip rails at all. Has anyone else had the same experience?

Chris
I had this problem as well. I found a set that worked, but now don't remember what exactly they came from...I had a bunch of different sets. But one type DOES work...medium riser, low riser, slipped on just fine.

I believe if you call Edelbrock tech they can give you the specific part number/application that works.

As for the stock parts used by Edelbrock...maybe I had a good machinist who wasn't looking to pad a bill, or maybe I got lucky, but he looked everything over and pronounced it good to go. I DID have a problem with the Shelby rocker setup which arrived miss-assembled.
Old 12-01-2001, 05:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, 427 EFI; CAV GT40, 427W
Not Ranked     

Did anyone see the discussion in the Dove literature concerning the dyno test of the Dove single plane manifold compared to the Eldelbrock Performer RPM? Their claim is that on a 428 with Dove heads and a Comp Cams 294S cam, etc (fairly high HP motor) that their manifold made over 500 HP and the E. Performer RPM made 171 less HP. The manifold change was the only difference between runs. Does this seem correct?

Gary
CAV GT40 Dealer
www.2gmotorsports.com
Old 12-01-2001, 09:07 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

CCX33911:

This is what I have found out about the Dove single plane:

I have spoken to 2 people who actually use one and who both say that they picked up almost a second in the 1/4 mile.

These heads could result in those kind of power gains - BUT- the power being made is at much higher rpms. If you look at the specs on the new (soon to be released - right!) Edelbrock Victor single plane intake which is a similar design, they state the useable rev range is way up there - something like 6000 to 8000 rpms.

I think I am going to stick with my dual plane.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

HI EVERYBODY ANYBODY OUT THERE LOOKING FOR A FORD 428 COBRA JET ENGINE THE BLOCK IS BARE BRAND NEW NOS FORD C6AZ-6010-F SERVICE REPLACEMENT BLOCK I ALSO HAVE NOS FORD 8) C9ZZ-6200-A Le MANS RODS BRAND NEW IN FORD BOXES RECONDITION FORD 428 CJ CRANKSHAFT BRAND NEW IN BOX 8)TRW SPEED PRO PISTONS EDELBROCK 390/428 COMPLETE SET OF ALUMINUM CYLINDER HEADS #6006 MILODON DEEP SUMP 8 QUART OIL PAN GOLD MILDODON HI VOL OIL PUMP NEW CROWER CAMSHAFT SPRINGS LIFTERS RETAINERS 588" LIFT 308" DUR NEW MAIN/ROD/CAM/BEARINGS HASTINGS PISTON RINGS OR TRW PISTON RINGS COMPLETE SET OF FEL-PRO ENGINE GASKETS NEW NOS FORD OIL FILTER ADAPTOR COAZ-6881-A NEW HI POLISH COBRA LE MANS VALVE COVERS NEW IN BOX NEW IN BOX 428 CJ BLUE THUNDER ALUMINUM INTAKE MANIFLOD ) TRIPLE CHROME PLATED FRONT TIMING CHAIN COVER ) (NEW IN BOX CLOYES DOUBLE ROLLER TIMING CHAIN )
BRAND NEW CENTER FORCE FLYWHEEL AND CLUTCH SET UP AND USED BELLHOSING AND I DON'T HAVE THE CARB AND WATER PUMP AND ROCKER ARMS MY EMAIL ADDRESS IS JIMBOFORD390@AIM.COM IF ANYBODY IS INTERESTED
Old 10-05-2010, 07:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 brushed aluminum with Keith Craft 527C.I. all aluminum FE
Not Ranked     

I have built and sold more of these heads than anyone. I can tell you anything you need to know about them as well as the best intake to run for the application. When you have done these engines for 25 years you find out what works and what does not as well as what to use in any situation. You can ask 10 people and get 10 different answers because most do not know. Not rocket science on any of this just a lot of dyno time and track time. If I can help just let me know, I can sell you the parts to do ecactly what you want and make the power that you want.
I do engines so I will not tell you what to do about the foundation of your house or how to do brain surgery because I have not done that work yet.

Thanks, Keith Craft

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: