Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-22-2014, 02:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra/427
Not Ranked     
Default Turkey Pan on Side Oiler

Hello Folks:
My 427 S/O is equipped with a turkey pan. This engine is running very rich despite the fact that the timing is by the book. A friend suggested that the turkey pan might create a flow of gas between the 2ndary and primary venturis of the carb creating a rich running engine. Any thoughts on this? I don't think this is correct but hey you never know...Please forgive my lack of FULL knowledge on this topic. I have a 1/2 phenolic spacer and a 770 cfm Holley Carb.
Tks for the input
Basque1 (Lou)
Old 04-22-2014, 02:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Owned CSX 3121 1969-1975. Went to the dark side and bought a 'Vette. May yet repent and be saved.
Not Ranked     

Timing does not affect fuel/air ratios. Have you checked your carb jetting? There have been reams of "how-tos" written on the process. Pretty basic stuff.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Check bowl float levels too.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:52 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAsque1 View Post
A friend suggested that the turkey pan might create a flow of gas between the 2ndary and primary venturis of the carb creating a rich running engine. Any thoughts on this? I don't think this is correct but hey you never know...
No. Not a chance. Zero possibility. But your friend gets points for creative thinking.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tks Guys:
I have checked the gas bowls and the adjustment is correct, my idea was the jets for I had this problem with my Volvo 123 GT when I recarb it to Webers 45s I had to jet them accordingly. My only concern in changing the jets is leaning the car too much and increasing the operating temp of the engine.

Patrick I thought so too but his point was that he felt that the gasket was not efficient enough and this could happen. I did not think so but crazier things do happen. Like a last year's fiasco with the carb gasket that broke a small 1/4 " piece and it got stuck on in the 2ndary butterflies and the car went hey wire accelerating almost out of control.
I will contact Holley for the sets of jets.
Lou
Old 04-23-2014, 04:25 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Patrick I thought so too but his point was that he felt that the gasket was not efficient enough and this could happen. I did not think so but crazier things do happen. Like a last year's fiasco with the carb gasket that broke a small 1/4 " piece and it got stuck on in the 2ndary butterflies and the car went hey wire accelerating almost out of control.
I will contact Holley for the sets of jets.
Lou
Alright, point taken. Whenever something is misbehaving, and you can't figure out why, it never hurts to just take it apart and put it back together. I will say that my TP (which is removable) shaves a significant amount of heat off my engine in around-town driving. I did not realize how much until I took it off to do something last summer and drove it around a bit with the pan off. I initially thought there was something wrong with the car as the temps were about 10-12 degrees Celsius higher than normal and the car felt different off-idle. TPs really do make a difference (in addition to looking cool).
Old 04-23-2014, 05:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Running Rich

Quote:
Hello Folks:
My 427 S/O is equipped with a turkey pan. This engine is running very rich despite the fact that the timing is by the book. A friend suggested that the turkey pan might create a flow of gas between the 2ndary and primary venturis of the carb creating a rich running engine. Any thoughts on this? I don't think this is correct but hey you never know...Please forgive my lack of FULL knowledge on this topic. I have a 1/2 phenolic spacer and a 770 cfm Holley Carb.
Tks for the input
Basque1 (Lou)
Just a thought but, most cars equipped with a turkey pan have a ridiculously
small air cleaner on them that would be appropriate for a riding mower not a 427 cid engine, try removing it if you have that situation. The air cleaner would not make it rich at low throttle application but would at much above that.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:57 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra #3170 View Post
small air cleaner on them that would be appropriate for a riding mower not a 427 cid engine, try removing it if you have that situation. The air cleaner would not make it rich at low throttle application but would at much above that.
Absolutely correct. When I upgraded my air cleaner to a much more free-flowing cleaner I had to not only readjust the mixtures but, because the venturi vacuum was reduced because there was more volume that was now travelling slower, I had to go to a lighter spring to have the secondaries open correctly.

Last edited by patrickt; 11-04-2016 at 08:47 AM..
Old 04-23-2014, 06:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS 427, Keith Craft 501,Toploader
Not Ranked     

When you say it's running rich, are you saying this because when you start your car in the garage you can't be in there with it because your eyes burn? That's normal.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Absolutely correct. When I upgraded my air cleaner to a much more free-flowing cleaner I had to not only readjust the mixtures but, because the venturi vacuum was reduced because there was more volume that was now travelling slower, I had to go to a lighter spring to have the secondaries open correctly.

Sorry Lou,
I got nothing, other than ceaning out the air filter...

I must say however, that's one nice engine bay you have there Pat.
Do you run that fuel pressure gauge full time, or is it just a plug n play for adjusting settings?

Only reason I ask is bc I like the look of it, but am having 2nd thoughts with all these engine fire stories.

Ps. Sorry for the hi-jack.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:33 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
Do you run that fuel pressure gauge full time, or is it just a plug n play for adjusting settings?

Only reason I ask is bc I like the look of it, but am having 2nd thoughts with all these engine fire stories.
Well, thank you very much. That fuel gauge is there full-time. I've had fuel leaks, but never from that gauge. And they were not "catastrophic" leaks, they were dribbles working themselves up to become catastrophic. But, the nice thing about today's crappy fuels is that a small fuel leak leaves a tell-tale puddle of brown goo that looks like maple syrup. Very easy to detect. The downside of that gauge, and all other gauges like it, is that when the heat hits it from the outside, and the cool gas hits it from the inside, it gets confused and gives out the wrong readings. But, the upside is that it is very consistent with its error pattern, so, once you get to know it, it will tell you what you need to know, even if it is telling you the wrong number.
Bxx1 and GBowman like this.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra #3170 View Post
Absolutely my thoughts whenever I see one of these turkey pans. The design looks very restricitve, I would never put one on an engine built to make more than 300hp.

Are there any comparison dyno test results with the turkey pan and filter on vs. open carb (no filter/no turkey pan, carb jetted accordingly)?

Simon
Old 04-23-2014, 11:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Brewer View Post
When you say it's running rich, are you saying this because when you start your car in the garage you can't be in there with it because your eyes burn? That's normal.
No the plugs are black and they only have 1750 miles on them I am using Autolite 45.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
Sorry Lou,

Ps. Sorry for the hi-jack.
I have a Snellings air filter, I was considering the idea to use a filter from KN which will give me more air flow, like the one posted by Patrick. I will post a picture of my engine next
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2014, 11:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sorry Lou,

Ps. Sorry for the hi-jack. [/quote]
I have a Snellings air filter, I was considering the idea to use a filter from KN which will give me more air flow, like the one posted by Patrick. I will post a picture of my engine next.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Lou,

I would definitely consider getting a KN filter, it adds a lot more flow and power. Of course, you would have to get a slightly smaller one than mine to fit in a turkey pan.

Jim

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/pict...919685&thumb=1
Old 04-23-2014, 05:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I have a Snellings air filter, I was considering the idea to use a filter from KN which will give me more air flow, like the one posted by Patrick. I will post a picture of my engine next
Does it still run rich with out the filter fitted?
If so, your S&H may only be a secondary problem.

PS: My engine builder suggested steering clear of S&H for my particular build due to their poor air flow characteristics.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

I'd stick with a K&N Extreme.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bowls are checked filter air filter is clean, someone suggested colder plugs, I will consider the KN filter.
Tks guys
Lou
Old 04-24-2014, 11:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post

Patrick:
do you have a part # for this KN air filter?
Tks
Lou