Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mln385

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-30-2014, 06:38 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham/Southern 427 SO finally on the road
Not Ranked     
Default Anybody wrap the exhaust headers?

Got a Southern built 427 in my older Kirkham. As big a radiator as you can fit, biggest "sucker" fan possible and my ignition is spot on. The car was never really meant to idle in the Houston, Texas heat, but sometimes, it must.

Would wrapping the exhaust headers help to reduce the heat in the engine compartment?
Look ugly? thanx. steve
Old 06-30-2014, 06:43 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Jet Hot coating in and out is the better way to make your heat issues go away. Wrapping the header will work also, but it also traps moisture on the header and causes premature rust out.

Motor Max in your cooling system would help lower engine temps as well.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 07-01-2014, 03:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR
Not Ranked     

Make sure your radiator shroud is well sealed in front so all the air from the fans is direct through the radiator and not around it.
leroy17 likes this.
Old 09-26-2015, 04:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 408 Ford Windsor
Not Ranked     

I am a new owner of a Backdraft. I noticed how hot the engine compartment becomes with only driving around for 20 min. in town. I immediately determined - I need to cool the engine compartment to protect other vital components in there. All my research winds up taking me to the DEI Titanium Exhaust Wrap which is made with lava stone / pumice. Everyone says it works great and that supposedly the heat is reduced by 50%. Interested to know if anyone has used this product and if the claims are accurate. If true, this simple installation can solve many problems.
Old 09-26-2015, 04:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

I'm wrapping my entire exhaust with the titanium wrap. Looks nice and smooth.
I've wrapped exhausts before. One in a van because the heat from the headers would heat up the floor under the seats to much. It made a hell of a difference. Straight after switching the engine of you could rest your hand on the headers.
It was the thick white cloth wrap. The titanium one seems thin. I've wrapped it in cheap black wrap first, then titanium over that. The cats are very close to the body. And I don't want my 2 year old burning on the side pipes.
I had wrap on a Cleveland and the metal was coming of the exhaust in layers like an onion. But others have been fine. I think with the new zinc typre pipes it might not be a problem. I guess if I had a problem with my current exhaust[ I havent tried it yet] I would wrap an stainless system.
JD
Old 09-26-2015, 05:13 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

Double ditto on what Mr Mustang said

Dwight
Old 09-26-2015, 05:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KIRKHAM 427 S/C, SHELBY 427 ALUM. STROKER
Not Ranked     

Timely thread for me, as I was about to ask same question !
I did my drivers side a year or so ago, with the DEI (but I don't think it was the titanium) to try and lower temps in drivers foot box(also old Kirkham, with painted side pipes).
Couldn't tell any diff in temps, and now I can't keep paint on the side pipe !
Old 09-26-2015, 02:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Add fans

Steve Metler Steve I rapped my pipes with DEI tape. It's a pain in the butt if you have to remove the side pipes and try and align them again I ended up with Sleeves and clips on the pipes. Rumor was flying around when I did this that the exhaust pipes would rust out. Mine where hot coated from ERA. 17 years and the pipes are still ok. I also have a heat problem under the hood. I resovled it by adding 2 4" bildge fans blowing the air out of the gills on the front fenders. The Sleeves dropped the temp by 25%. The bigger thing was these little fans, ( one on each side). Al you do is mount them on the heat shield above the headers and have them blow out the air. Need a switch, good 30A relay, basic wiring for a curcuit. I added temp shield on both fans because of the heat. temps are down anther 30%. You will need an Alt that can handle the extra load to the system. I run a 95 amp setup. A 60 will not handle the extra load. A good boat store sells these fans.
Other thought on this is to add louvers to the hood. I was lucky with a fiberglass hod from ERA and added a set of KR 500 hood louvers to my hood. They also helped alot in the beginning. They look cool too. Rick L.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra/427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
Jet Hot coating in and out is the better way to make your heat issues go away. Wrapping the header will work also, but it also traps moisture on the header and causes premature rust out.

Motor Max in your cooling system would help lower engine temps as well.

Bill S.
I agree with bill, I just had my headers ceramic coated by Firefly and they are great reduced the cabin temp for about 10 degrees.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #816, 427 Side Oiler
Not Ranked     

How much you want to spend. Check out Swain-Tech. Their coating is white and very thick/gritty looking but you can paint over it with any color hi-temp paint you want.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Crendon 427 S/C 428 FE+toploader
Not Ranked     

Another +1 for ceramic coating, but be careful where you get it done. Lots of guys this side of the pond with stories of the stuff flaking/peeling off.

I've had mine done with

Zircotec - high performance heat management for automotive and motorsport

- originally developed for cooling nuclear reactor pipes i think.
I'm sure there must be a US equivalent, surely NASA has had its hand in this one?

Last edited by KevinW; 10-19-2015 at 12:27 PM..