Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2014, 05:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory 5 mk4 445 FE
Not Ranked     
Default Tell me all you can about your Top Loader.

Trying to figure out what all I need for a top loader to fit behind my FE, in a Factory 5 car with a 8.8 ass end
Stoneville,NC

My ex car. Sad to see it go.
http://www.ffcars.com/POM/nov2003pom.JPG
Old 08-20-2014, 06:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KIRKHAM 427 S/C, SHELBY 427 ALUM. STROKER
Not Ranked     

Don't know much (as shown on my recent "popping outta gear" thread, but I do know this: love the close ratio !!! Makes you feel like Sterling Moss ( or insert favorite '60's pro here) on downshifts !!
Old 08-20-2014, 06:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey, I don't know squat either... But I thought the top loader was bullet proof.. I hate yours is popping out of gear
Stoneville,NC

Old 08-20-2014, 07:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DIY Coupe, F/T ,MkIV.
Not Ranked     
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACERAL View Post
Hey, I don't know squat either... But I thought the top loader was bullet proof.. I hate yours is popping out of gear
No they are not bullet proof, but if you get the correct model you should be OK, depends on how much torque your engine makes, what tires you run and how sympathetic your driving is...usually an FE should have a 1 3/8" ten spline input & 31 spline tailshaft along with the 2.32/1 low gear close ratio gearset. If you do a lot of town stop/start driving with no competition stuff then you might find the wide ratio 2.78/1 low gearset an advantage especially if you have a tall rear end ratio . Use 80 weight straight gear oil ( NO EP or high load stuff ) and that's about it, oh and find out from Ted ( Motorhead) who built his trans and NEVER take yours there!!
Old 08-20-2014, 08:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KIRKHAM 427 S/C, SHELBY 427 ALUM. STROKER
Not Ranked     

Al: with help from Jac Mac we found the problem was a simple mistake by whoever o'hauled the tranny last. It was rectified without having to remove tranny ! Other than that hiccup, it has been faultless!

Ted
Old 08-21-2014, 04:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You most likely will never need the large input shaft top loader with small block car especially in a Cobra unless your running DOT slicks and fond of sidestepping the clutch near redline. Even then doubt very much you would ever hurt these top loaders.
These transmissions properly built and setup are one of the smoothest shifting you will ever find. Personally always used the Hurst Competition Plus shifters on all our muscle cars.
A 10.5" diaphragm clutch will work just fine set your car up for a clutch cable (personal preference over hydraulic)
We have a freshly rebuilt toploader if you cannot find one locally.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Agreed on street cars that the WIDE ratio TL can prove to be better than the close ratio version - especially if you have less radical rear gearing. On the three cars I've owned with TLs, the wide ratio was much more enjoyable to use on the STREET - especially pulling out of stops and what-not in a reasonable manner with it's lower first gear.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I agree - the WR toploader can just about eliminate the need for a 5 speed OD tranny. With a 3.31 rear mine just moves off by letting out the clutch without touching the accelerator. I think a 3.07 rear end with the WR and an FE would work fine. The rpm drop on upshifts would not be optimum for the dragstrip or road course but on the street you won't notice it in this light of a car.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 402R and CSX 6029
Not Ranked     

First gear and reverse are pretty close in the shift pattern. If you are into a lot of Interstate highway driving, a low ratio rear end should keep the RPM's under 3000 at highway speeds (and the noise level a bit lower).
Old 08-21-2014, 05:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The FE motor I have made something like 447 hp@5010rpm with 469ftlbtq........It has a very mild cam
The WR trans is the way I want to go.. yes, low 300 something gear.
Tell me about the lenght of the trans.. people are telling me the 27 inch long one is the one I want. Do you guys agree
Stoneville,NC

Old 08-21-2014, 05:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACERAL View Post
The FE motor I have made something like 447 hp@5010rpm with 469ftlbtq........It has a very mild cam
The WR trans is the way I want to go.. yes, low 300 something gear.
Tell me about the lenght of the trans.. people are telling me the 27 inch long one is the one I want. Do you guys agree
From ERA, the Toploader had 3 more common tailshafts resulting in overall lengths of 24 in, 25.5 in and 27 in. You will probablly want either the 24 in or the 25.5 in length in order to have a little more driveshaft length and keep U-joint angles within reason. The 24 inch would be best but I think they are a bit hard to come by.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My last car the drive shaft was like 9.5 inches long
Stoneville,NC

Old 08-22-2014, 03:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C, FE 440, top-loader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Raceral, with a 3.07 type gear WR is the only way to go. 24 inch tail shaft is the only way to go to gain driveshaft length. Mine has a Ford bellhousing with a Mcleod hydraulic throw out bearing. Easy peasy to remove and install. If I did it again I would go with a 3.07 and WR rather than the 3.31 I have. Get one from a reputable rebuilder. Southern Automotive in GA posts here and they fixed my bad third gear synchro issue. Less money than the Tremecs too.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Young 1 great info
Stoneville,NC

Old 08-23-2014, 05:50 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

I agree with pretty much all above, original cars used a big in small out version of the TL. In decent shape they are a great tranny for these cars. If you're getting a used one look over the gears in the gears that get ripped through, pretty much the first 3. Since you're using an IRS you can use any length trans but you may need to shim mounts for driveshaft angle not to be too severe. Once that's set up the diff isn't moving so you're good.
Think about clutch type and set it up accordingly for your use. You don't want an on/off switch or a chatterer. Big clutch in a small car you can pretty much go stock.
Do a little research on throw out bearings. There are plenty of people that dislike the hydraulic internals and they'll tell you why. I like serviceable and adjustable external but it can be pretty close to our frame rails.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

390 ci mustangs and cougars used small in/out WR toploaders. I think Ford switched to the big spline when fairlane and galaxy drag racers were twisting input shafts. So a cobra, much lighter, running street tires I think would be fine for the most part with small spline Toploaders, especially if you buy the tranny already like that. If you are going to rebuild it, you can just change/increase the input shaft size cheaply without changing/increasing the output, as you then need to bore out the tail housing for the bigger shaft. If you are going to go all out, get the big in/out.

When looking at a used toploader, always inspect the insides. Obviously look for chipped teeth, but more importantly look at the small synchro teeth. Usually, they are prominent on first gear, and compare those teeth to the synchro teeth on second and third gears. If they are considerably worn or chipped, then those gears will need to be replaced even though the large teeth look fine.

Long ago at a swap meet, I was looking at a used big in/out toploader, along with another potential customer, peering into the case, and the owner told us the tranny ran fine, no shifting problems, etc. However, the synchro teeth on second and third gears were worn such that they were about 25% of the size of the teeth on 1st gear. I told the other customer these gears were worn and needed replaced, and the owner got real upset with me. LOL.

As far as gearing, like others here, if you go with a CR tranny, use 3.54 rears or something close. If you go with a WR tranny, go with 3.07 rears or something close. You won't be disappointed.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 08-24-2014, 10:26 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
I agree - the WR toploader can just about eliminate the need for a 5 speed OD tranny. With a 3.31 rear mine just moves off by letting out the clutch without touching the accelerator. I think a 3.07 rear end with the WR and an FE would work fine. The rpm drop on upshifts would not be optimum for the dragstrip or road course but on the street you won't notice it in this light of a car.
Running same setup as Dan. WR TL by Dave Kee and 3:31 at the rear. Lovin' the setup.